Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

On 4/22/2021 at 9:47 AM, nashville born said:

Even referencing the "generous" listings on the Wiki page, not seeing the twice as many (including under construction) over 400'.  Not a challenge; just looking for the source of reference.  Trying to find a more accurate reference than a page that lists the same building in two different spots of the same list.

I was living in Atlanta for a short 1972 stint and that was the heyday of John Portman who was the Gerald Hines of Atlanta except Portman was a developer AND architect, not so Hines. Portman got national recognition in the '60's for Peachtree Center and the first in the nation huge atrium Regency in Downtown Atlanta which really put the city on the map (along with the Braves in '66). And I remember some buzz in '72 that the man had a big plan for the tallest in the south at around 70 stories. The tallest at that time in the SE was First National at 40 stories, in Atlanta. My grandmother in '72 told me the 70 story tower was several years away. It turned out to be Peachtree Plaza at 73 stories finished in '76. She didn't live to see it, she passed on in '73.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Tony did mention that the next ten year was going to be basically untracked growth compared to the last ten. He mentioned the same thing to William when he spoke to him recently.

All I can say is hold on to your bloomers ladies and gents!

1311883110_holdon.gif.0207671d0e9e4aaf828d7579f1be5639.gif

• Haha 4

On 5/1/2021 at 8:09 AM, smeagolsfree said:

Tony did mention that the next ten year was going to be basically untracked growth compared to the last ten. He mentioned the same thing to William when he spoke to him recently.

All I can say is hold on to your bloomers ladies and gents!

While I don't doubt that both you and Tony are two who would know, I can't help but be a little confused by this enthusiastic comment when I see 2nd & Peabody catching flack and projects like Fairmont and Buckingham sitting idle.  I hope to high heaven Tony's prediction comes through.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nashville born said:

While I don't doubt that both you and Tony are two who would know, I can't help but be a little confused by this enthusiastic comment when I see 2nd & Peabody catching flack and projects like Fairmont and Buckingham sitting idle.  I hope to high heaven Tony's prediction comes through.

Hate to lose those projects (Buckingham dead for years though), but if you look at how Nasville built right through Covid while announcing new projects along the way,  I would say the future is bright.   When compared to Atlanta, Seattle and others, you can see how we are just now getting ready to start the boom.   

• Like 2

I think you’re right about Buckingham.... now you have Giarratana’s twins, Gibson, a half dozen buildings up Division. And more like Ritz Hensler and Paseo Gulch on the way. Big MISS for Buckingham. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

They may have financing issues too. They were moving forward a little before Covid. Remember, they have to start pretty much from square one as the height variance they had is now gone.

They should be able to attain the height thru the bonus height program.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jarno said:

Hate to lose those projects (Buckingham dead for years though), but if you look at how Nasville built right through Covid while announcing new projects along the way,  I would say the future is bright.   When compared to Atlanta, Seattle and others, you can see how we are just now getting ready to start the boom.   

When the CEO of the Indianapolis development company that built the Aertson, died unexpectedly, just as construction was beginning, I strongly doubted that the Buckingham Tower would ever be built. I'm still hopeful that it will, though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1