Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

@PillowTalk4 Your post about the difference between your last two visits really resonated.  It's exactly how I felt when I came in the fall of '20.  Hadn't been there since '11 and was floored in the best possible way.  All the chatter and pics on these threads hyped me up to come down and I completely agree with you.  Seeing it in person is breathtakingly cool.  Can't wait for my next visit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thrill said:

I'm starting to think we don't need a signature tower-esque building anymore. I think it's kind of nice to have just a mid size high rise skyline that sprawls a bit. Cities like Rio, Barcelona, or Vancouver don't have a single super tall monument like Chicago but they're still fairly recognizable cities and it has zero impact on the actual inhabitants of said cities.  I think we should strive for the 5-7 stories with mixed uses at the street level. 

we can have both!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Monday May 17 marked the 20th anniversary of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum opening in its current location. They posted the photo and information I’ve shared here on their Facebook page today. It’s amazing to look at the photo and see the phenomenal progress in the development of the modern fabric of this city since 2001!

DE9060BB-09D6-49D3-85A6-CFFCEE85CD7A.jpeg

0DF6C9B1-C748-4472-AA34-86B5B78397E5.jpeg

Whoever had the foresight to build the new CMHofF in downtown was a genius.  I remember when it was on Music Row and they decided to build downtown…many of us thought they were crazy.  Thankfully…downtown was about to explode with tourists…so it’s the perfect place to be.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Thrill said:

I'm starting to think we don't need a signature tower-esque building anymore. I think it's kind of nice to have just a mid size high rise skyline that sprawls a bit. Cities like Rio, Barcelona, or Vancouver don't have a single super tall monument like Chicago but they're still fairly recognizable cities and it has zero impact on the actual inhabitants of said cities.  I think we should strive for the 5-7 stories with mixed uses at the street level. 

Can't decipher if this is a real thought or a sarcastic one.  If real, why 5-7?  That seemingly doesn't come close to even mid-rise level so how would that help build a skyline?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Monday May 17 marked the 20th anniversary of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum opening in its current location. They posted the photo and information I’ve shared here on their Facebook page today. It’s amazing to look at the photo and see the phenomenal progress in the development of the modern fabric of this city since 2001!

DE9060BB-09D6-49D3-85A6-CFFCEE85CD7A.jpeg

0DF6C9B1-C748-4472-AA34-86B5B78397E5.jpeg

Is that a rendering?    I was here, of course, when the CMHOF and the plaza were built, but I don't recall the plaza initially being built as an ellipse.    Maybe it was and then was completely redesigned a few years later when the Hilton was built, but if so I'm forgetting all that.    My cloudy memory wants to say the elliptical plaza never got built and the design morphed into the current configuration as the Hilton and garage (which sits underneath the plaza) were being designed.              

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

Is that a rendering?    I was here, of course, when the CMHOF and the plaza were built, but I don't recall the plaza initially being built as an ellipse.    Maybe it was and then was completely redesigned a few years later when the Hilton was built, but if so I'm forgetting all that.    My cloudy memory wants to say the elliptical plaza never got built and the design morphed into the current configuration as the Hilton and garage (which sits underneath the plaza) were being designed.              

It states in the text of their post that it is a model.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 12:38 PM, Thrill said:

What makes Barcelona's skyline recognizable, in your opinion?  I mean, most people on this forum could recognize it because we are skyscraper nerds, but I'm pretty sure if you show a picture of the Barcelona skyline to the average person they would have no idea where it is.

Also, since you bring up Barcelona, what's your stance on Catalonian independence? For or against?