Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

5 hours ago, Native said:

This picture, taken a few days ago looking east from Commerce and Rosa Parks, would give Guilford Dudley heartburn if he were still alive.  To think that one could not see his beloved L&C Tower from four blocks away (except for the corner of the air conditioner and radio antenna which he wouldn't like either) would certainly be troubling to the former president of Life and Casualty Ins. Co.

But we like it.  And we have invented words like "infill" to describe it in glowing terms.  Nashville is about to get a lot more of that, whether Mr. Dudley likes it or not.

IMG_0006.thumb.jpg.d56a833f505209067cf4f741a6d06123.jpg

And it's all Tony G's fault! Did he have it in for Mr. Dudley? :)

• Haha 2

I think it is just like anything else, buildings get hidden from view. Its like the FW Woolworth building in NYC. It is a beautiful building, but it is well hidden from a distance, but can be admired up close.

With everything else in Nashville, no use lamenting the past, we cant do anything about it, but bitch and complain. We have new buildings we can admire while we can complain about the mistakes of Metro too, which are too many to count. But we can also commend Metro for the successes they have accomplished as well. For me, and I will probably get a lot of flack over this comment.... The L&C building is not that great!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I agree with you.  Except I do think the L&C is a great building.  But, hey your likes, my likes,  others likes are just that, our likes.  No right or wrong in it.   But to your point, people need to understand that preserving a view of a building in a downtown core just because it is iconic or even a nice looking building just isn't going to be the concern of other developers.  Nor should it be the cities concern either.  Too much of that got in Nashville's way as it relates to the Capitol.  It was just absurd to restrict development because of the Capitol building.  What benefit is there to seeing the Capitol from any approach into the city?  Zero.   Anyway, I hope that as Nashville continues to grow that restrictions of height in the city core and even parts of mid-town, become a thing of the past.   I'm anxious to see what the city will allow along the east bank as it develops.  Again I hope there will be no restrictions in terms of height.  There's simply no reason for them.  None that I can think of anyway.

If they want to preserve the view from one angle…that’s ok, I guess…maybe from the Bicentennial Mall?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

If they want to preserve the view from one angle…that’s ok, I guess…maybe from the Bicentennial Mall?

I agree.  And, with the way Bicentennial Mall is laid out, there would never be anything to obstruct the view of the Capitol.   Combine Bicentennial Mall with the Legislative Plaza and the grounds on the east and west sides, there are ample views of the Capitol.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Baronakim said:

My favorite.  Though some of Tony G's are right up there too. Keeble  was a very sophisticated architect and the L&C was his crown jewel.  What was astounding to me was that at the time of its construction, it was taller than buildings in any other American city (to my knowledge) except NYC and Chicago.  Even Atlanta.

820794_254929147972353_296172736_o.jpg

Various U.S. cities — Philly, Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Columbus, etc., had buildings taller than the L&C Tower at that time.