Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

17 hours ago, markhollin said:

In honor of Ascend Amphitheater starting to host concerts again, here's a shot from the 25th floor of 222 2nd Ave. South a couple of years ago an hour before show time.

Bob Dylan had a virtual concert tonight.  Unfortunately, I was unable to attend.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:56 PM, Baronakim said:

My favorite.  Though some of Tony G's are right up there too. Keeble  was a very sophisticated architect and the L&C was his crown jewel.  What was astounding to me was that at the time of its construction, it was taller than buildings in any other American city (to my knowledge) except NYC and Chicago.  Even Atlanta.

Not entirely true, to help with the astoundment. I've  clarified on here before that it is true that the L&C was taller than anything in Atlanta and Miami for roughly 1 year until the Bank of Georgia topped out at a couple of stories taller in 1958. Since I was 8 yo in 1958 and my dad worked in the L&C tower from  its opening until 1967 I've know this all my life. I've also clarified that The Gulf Building in Houston was completed in 1929 at 37 stories, 430 feet and the L&C is 409 feet. Hope this clears up why you will never see that the L&C was ever the tallest in the south.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/19/2021 at 6:56 PM, dragonfly said:

Not entirely true, to help with the astoundment. I've  clarified on here before that it is true that the L&C was taller than anything in Atlanta and Miami for roughly 1 year until the Bank of Georgia topped out at a couple of stories taller in 1958. Since I was 8 yo in 1958 and my dad worked in the L&C tower from  its opening until 1967 I've know this all my life. I've also clarified that The Gulf Building in Houston was completed in 1929 at 37 stories, 430 feet and the L&C is 409 feet. Hope this clears up why you will never see that the L&C was ever the tallest in the south.

Cincinnati:

1913 - 495 ft - 4th & Vine

1931 - 574 ft - Carew Tower

Cleveland:

1930 - 771 ft - Terminal Tower

Columbus:

1927 - 555 ft - LeVeque Tower

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LA_TN said:

Cincinnati:

1913 - 495 ft - 4th & Vine

1931 - 574 ft - Carew Tower

Cleveland:

1930 - 771 ft - Terminal Tower

Columbus:

1927 - 555 ft - LeVeque Tower

Baltimore: 1924 (now Bank of America)  509 ft 37 stories. And there were a slew of them in Philly and Pittsburgh.

When I was  kid there were six cities in the SE larger than Nashville and this covers 1957: Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Louisville, Memphis, Birmingham. And for good measure throw in St. Louis . So for Nashville to have, if only for a year the tallest in the SE + St. Louis, was an unique distinction for a year's bragging.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, titanhog said:

That’s some bad looking air-quality today.

Yeah, I just drove downtown and I noticed there's an air quality alert displayed on the freeway.  I wonder if this is from the fires out west, I know it's getting up to the east coast but I hadn't heard anyone mention anything about the South but it sure is noticeable!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MontanaGuy said:

Yeah, I just drove downtown and I noticed there's an air quality alert displayed on the freeway.  I wonder if this is from the fires out west, I know it's getting up to the east coast but I hadn't heard anyone mention anything about the South but it sure is noticeable!

Yes it is from the fires out west and the air quality is not going to get any better for a bit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Cloud seeding goes way back into the 70s. Seems like there was a lot of controversy about it then. I dont remember what the big deal was though. I will have to do some research. Maybe they are afraid of dry lightning which is a worse hazard out west if they get no rain. It looks as if this method does not use silver oxide which is good as a lot of folks are against putting that chemical into the air and that may be what I was thinking about.

• Like 2