Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

There is also a liability issue associated with a revolving room. A child was killed in the Atlanta Westin's Sundial restaurant when he was playing and squeezed between a table and the moving wall.  https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/family-5-year-old-who-died-after-being-pinned-sun-dial-settles-lawsuit-with-marriot/K26IZCGZOBBINJ2H4IFNMFJHLI/  I believe Marriott also owns the Nashville Sheraton. 

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Unfortunately, it would take a major undertaking.  I read an engineering article Sean posted.  It ran down the history of the Polaris and with it's most recent renovations, the revolving mechanisms were torn out to allow installation of restrooms.   Shame.  I agree with the sentiments that the revolving restaurant still holds a charm from a bygone era.  And I agree that it would likely be appreciated today.  Just like with fashion, interests tend to be cyclical.  There's one in DC near Pentagon City that I ate in about two years ago.

That is sad to hear.  The Polaris had restrooms.  So, I guess they wanted to enlarge them?

The Skydome in the Doubltree Hotel in Crystal City is probably where you ate.  I'm not sure if that was ever a Hyatt Regency.  But, it is iconic for that area.  Unfortunately, it is temporarily closed.  And, there's a possibility that the property ha been sold to a developer wanting to build a new residential building there.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Hold that thought, as I am hearing that plan is being tweaked some!

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I cant say yet as I have heard differing things that I do not fully know and can’t answer yet. All I have is an idea and I can’t share yet.

At least you have heard something! Whether it’s good or bad, I’m glad there’s at least some chatter going on with that one. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 2:20 PM, smeagolsfree said:

There is nothing like getting out and hitting the streets and talking to people. You will be surprised what information you can pick up by talking to “certain” people on job sites that are in a position to hear things. These people might not be on that job site specific to the one you are asking about and you will be surprised how much info people give up without so much as a twist of an arm. 

It’s as easy as how you doing, what’s going to happen here, and you know what’s going on on there and telling them what you know. Trading a little info is fun. I can get info out of a brick wall!

Or at least a concrete parking lot.

What about an asphalt parking lot?  Can you get info out of them too?  I know of a few around town I'd like you to speak to... :)

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3