Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

17 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Sudakem Building and Tennessee Theater (SE corner of 6th Ave. North and Church St.), 1952:

So if you look at the shop on that right side, I'm 99% sure that is Karl's (Fine? ) Shoes, although I can't read the whole sign. The proprietor was Karl Robinson who lived with his family next door to us when we moved to Currywood Dr. in '56. He was maybe 15 years older than my parents (45~50?) and pretty sure he built the house, one of the early stakeouts in West Meade Farms. Their house was the first one built on Currywood Dr, which at that time ran from Robin Hill Rd to Bresslyn Rd, two blocks.  When West Meade Estates was developed, approx 5 years later, Currywood was extended with an impressive descending run, coming out near Davidson Dr. & I-40.

Thinking about it, Karl was maybe one of the oldest guys to build in West Meade and the style looks it, I don't know of any other example in West Meade at the time with dormers and 1-1/2 stories and half basement/garage plus the large size. It sold last year for around $800k. The area was full of split levels, ranches and somewhat dreary boxy 2 story brick ones back in the day.  Plenty of teardowns there. Was Karl one of the first to buy into the subdivision, I think so. Our house was 6413 to the left. Sorry for the image size, maybe someone can tell me how to resize.

Robinson's House.jpg

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Sudakem Building and Tennessee Theater (SE corner of 6th Ave. North and Church St.), 1952:

Sudakem Tenn Theater, 1952 x.jpg

It’s funny because it wasn’t like Nashville had no room to build else where in the area. Nashville should have kept this building. The building could have been something historical like the Chicago theater. Maybe not as significant, but it could have add some flair to the city. Instead, it was replaced by a generic glass condo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MagicPotato said:

It’s funny because it wasn’t like Nashville had no room to build else where in the area. Nashville should have kept this building. The building could have been something historical like the Chicago theater. Maybe not as significant, but it could have add some flair to the city. Instead, it was replaced by a generic glass condo.

Make that a generic faux stucco apartment building.

(photo from the Cumberland Apartments on Church website)

F1C5B293-A9B4-4E6D-8AE6-01AA32C85B67.jpeg

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, MagicPotato said:

I very much agree with your points.  However I feel they are substantially valid only if the building had survived until present day.  There was no reason to preserve this building over so many others.  While the builing dates from the 1930s, the theater opened in 1952 and being mid 20th century, it lacked a graet deal of the interiors charm of older ones saved in other cities, like the Fox in Atlanta.   In Nashville, I mourn Loew's, the Paramount and the Knickerbocker much more than the Tennessee.  Also, unlike many of the great theaters saved, this one had all of the 1930s era offices over it.  There was just no market to justify saving this one in Nashville IMO.  We are fortunate that so much has been saved...the Arcade, 2nd  &1st Ave., the Presb. Church, the Ryman, Lower Broad (even though honkytonked up), etc..  Nashville never was going to be a mid continent Charleston or Savannah.  I am just so pleased that it is emerging  with a new 21st century core.  And yes, the Cumberland Apatments are dreadful.  They are lucky to have Haven to keep them off the bottom of Nashville's Nasties.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Sad 2