Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Courtesy of Skyline King:

1492486032_NashvilleApril2022SkylineKing1x.png

In a few short years, this view will look very different with Hensler's and the towers at the roundabout. But the biggest difference will be right in the middle at Nashville Yards, where there's a big gap in that photo now. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Yeah, that parking lot at the foot of the KVB bridge really needs a tower.  And, the other towers planned for the area are also really needed to offset the low and mid-rise look of the area.

Right! Isn't there one coming onto that lot imminently? 

Also, it's interesting to note that *most* cities in the "under 3 million metro" range have so many parking lots exactly like that one, that ring their downtowns, or are almost center pieces to their downtowns. And they sit there for decades utilized just as parking lots, and sometimes as abandoned ones--with no development prospects. This is particularly true in rust belt or just slow growth cities. 

It would drive me nuts to live in a super slow or stagnant-development city LOL...I could not deal with looking at a blight filled area for decades where it needs or is craving for development.

Nashville is in the lucky few cities that are just on fire with development, so any under-utilized lots in the downtown or midtown areas are being eyed for fast development. Love to see it! 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Right! Isn't there one coming onto that lot imminently? 

Also, it's interesting to note that *most* cities in the "under 3 million metro" range have so many parking lots exactly like that one, that ring their downtowns, or are almost center pieces to their downtowns. And they sit there for decades utilized just as parking lots, and sometimes as abandoned ones--with no development prospects. This is particularly true in rust belt or just slow growth cities. 

It would drive me nuts to live in a super slow or stagnant-development city LOL...I could not deal with looking at a blight filled area for decades where it needs or is craving for development.

Nashville is in the lucky few cities that are just on fire with development, so any under-utilized lots in the downtown or midtown areas are being eyed for fast development. Love to see it! 

Well, I was born and raised in Nashville.  Lived there from my birth in 1962 till late summer 2000.  I'll spare my history of growing up in east Nashville and northwest Nashville.  Let me just say I was one of those rare kids that was always fascinated with the skyline and development.  Probably because I was always seeing vistas of the skyline from the days of playing in the big field behind Meigs to driving into the city along Clarksville Hwy.

There were times however that it just seemed like nothing was ever happening.  At least nothing that was changing the skyline.  And, there were times of total disappointment because buildings would be announced but never built.   I remember all of the parking lots that dotted downtown Nashville.  For a while it almost seemed like Nashville was hell bent on creating more.  When it should have been working on mass transit in the 80's and 90's.  But, there simply was no vision nor vigor to support mass transit well off towering buildings.  If anything it seemed people fought against growth.  I think the more the statement was made that Nashville was going to be the next Atlanta, the more Nashville got in its own way to keep it from happening.

While most people saw those parking lots as a convenience, I was one who saw them as asphalt islands that could be so much more.  Now, because of Nashville's growth those parking lots really look out of place.  Thankfully, most are being developed.   Some of the ones that remain are indeed an eyesore.  Some cities are starting to experiment with eco-friendly parking lots in which the surface is actually grass and other materials that don't generate as much heat, and are in general more attractive than asphalt and concrete.   Since parking is always going to be a necessity in Nashville, I hope the city looks at creating garages more than surface lots and explore options to make both look better.

• Like 4