Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I think this was mentioned on here before, but I know it was at a forum meet. They have to ask a lot because the capital gains taxes will be a lot higher because when the lots were bought they paid probably a hundred thousand dollars or less. 

The price point will be at the place now they can ask the price they need. I think now that the lot behind Hume Fogg is looking to be developed, the likelihood of this lot being developed is a lot better now.

I do not think they are opposed to selling the lots, but they need to sell for the right price.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, andywildman said:

What's it going to take for the Carell family to sell that huge lot across from the Courthouse?

And, can something be built on top of the Sheraton Hotel parking garage?  It's now looking like a waste of space being just a garage. 

I'm still mad that the original National Life Building (next to what was the new National Life Building and is now Tennessee Tower) was torn down and converted to a garage and surface parking.  It was neo-classicism style building that looked really nice in that area.  Rumors at the time was that National Life was going to build a second tower to match the new one.  That obviously never happened.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Music City Roundabout, Dec, 2021 x.png

Has there ever been any real landscaping in the circle?  I see what appears to be remnants of attempted landscaping.  A combination of evergreen shrubs, ornamental grasses and seasonal flowers would do wonders for it.  Plant perennial flowers that will bloom in spring, summer and fall.  Tulips or Buttercups in the spring.  Day Lilies or Coneflowers in the spring.  Mums in the fall.  Use evergreens for year round interest.  Are plant annuals during the various seasons.  My HOA has a landscaper that plants really nice beds at each entry point into my neighborhood, in various medians and intersections throughout the neighborhood and around the clubhouse, tennis courts and swimming pool.  This year they chose to to do large beds of marigolds at the entrance points into the clubhouse area.  They are absolutely beautiful.  Sometimes just a bed thick with one flower is all you need to create landscape interest.   They've also used combinations of sun tolerant varieties of Coleus and Begonias to add summer long color with very little maintenance.    There is a shopping center near me that has a circle with a fountain that is about the same size as the Sticks circle and they surrounded it with beautiful red and gold Coleus one year.  That's it.  Simple, beautiful and it didn't require a lot of upkeep once it was planted.  

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Has there ever been any real landscaping in the circle?  I see what appears to be remnants of attempted landscaping.  A combination of evergreen shrubs, ornamental grasses and seasonal flowers would do wonders for it.  Plant perennial flowers that will bloom in spring, summer and fall.  Tulips or Buttercups in the spring.  Day Lilies or Coneflowers in the spring.  Mums in the fall.  Use evergreens for year round interest.  Are plant annuals during the various seasons.  My HOA has a landscaper that plants really nice beds at each entry point into my neighborhood, in various medians and intersections throughout the neighborhood and around the clubhouse, tennis courts and swimming pool.  This year they chose to to do large beds of marigolds at the entrance points into the clubhouse area.  They are absolutely beautiful.  Sometimes just a bed thick with one flower is all you need to create landscape interest.   They've also used combinations of sun tolerant varieties of Coleus and Begonias to add summer long color with very little maintenance.    There is a shopping center near me that has a circle with a fountain that is about the same size as the Sticks circle and they surrounded it with beautiful red and gold Coleus one year.  That's it.  Simple, beautiful and it didn't require a lot of upkeep once it was planted.  

Yeah…this “art” is half-done…just like the Musica statues.  No lighting…no year-round, beautiful landscaping…just painted telephone poles stuck in the ground in an unkempt circle.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Native said:

They are painting the terrazzo panels on the UBS Tower.   

16 hours ago, East Side Urbanite said:

I might be wrong. But the paint is being applied to concrete.

Correct. The building is all concrete, not terrazzo. I'm not a fan of the color or even choice to paint the building (cannot ever get back to the original now), but some folks like it. To each their own. 

I guess you could categorize this building as a Brutalist Architecture style. Probably the most polarizing style of architecture one could argue due to the extreme reactions that it could garner. Painting over the concrete is kind of a slap in the face of the style itself I would say.

• Like 1