Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Great shot indeed... so crazy to me though to see cars and busses in the middle of that sea of people... why we haven't shut those few blocks to vehicular traffic, at least for weekend evenings and nights, I'll never understand.  

Lots of nights Broadway is closed to all but emergency and delivery vehicles. Cross streets are open.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Encore’s HOA forbids short term rentals with high fines for those that do not abide by the rules, and places limits on the number of long term rentals. It is downtown, and that brings normal street/traffic noise, but that rarely detracted from us watching TV, and with our fan/noise machine us sleeping either. 

Thanks, that's encouraging information!

51 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

If Nashville could get developers to do buildings with varying design styles to finish out the tops of the buildings, the views would be so much more spectacular.  I love that shot from mid-town looking east.  But it makes me want to see more diversity in the tops of the structures.    Not all of them, but it would just be niece to see a few pyramid tops, domes, angles and slants, etc.

My opinion jibes with yours 100% on this topic.  One of the reasons I'm so height conscious for Nashville projects is because it seems that's the only chance we have at making the building stand out.  Because the style and roof will look just like every other building.  With few exceptions, this bears out.  That's why people love Albion and Alcove so much; they have unique designs.  And that's why I say I'm still a huge fan of Batman.  I'm ready for it to be surpassed, yet it has a very singular impact on our skyline.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT:  Looking south towards SoBro, Riverfront Park, and Rolling Mill Hill  from AT&T Tower, 2007.  They were taking down the Bell South signage.

SoBro, 2007 from AT&T x.png

Wow! That was in 2007? What an absolutely phenomenally drastic change that whole area has undergone.

It's basically gone from a low rise, under utilized urban area right outside of downtown, to a dense, thriving urban neighborhood district.

Unbelievable and amazing transformation!

Edited by jjbradleyBrooklyn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Baronakim said:

Yes amazing.  But the very nature of that underdevelopment is what is making Nashville  so exciting.  Nashville, unlike older big cities, had a vast amount of open or lightly developed land available in a concentrated area.  Not having to tear down existing big buildings was a clear advantage to  our rapid growth.  Nashville Yards DID have to tear down the Lifeway tower, but the rest of the site was useless crap Baptist SS space.   Also having the loop  interstate so tight  spurs all the recent growth announced. without having to lierally develop a second or third core like Atlanta's Buckhead or Perimeter Mall cores.  Being able to closely concentrate development ceratainly makes the current growth much more impressive, even if it does not get the height of other metros.  From my experience, the major downside is that a huge number of Nashville natives are crapping in their drawers about how all the charm of Nashville is gone for good.  They can bellyache all they want as far as I am concerned... I think Nashville is finally becoming the city it should have been decades ago.

If anyone saw my post, please disregard. I falsely attributed a previous line of arguments to Baronakim. Apologies.

While we're here... Hasn't the inner core of Atlanta seen impressive growth, height, Ikeas, Summer Olympics, etc., for decades prior to Nashville, regardless of "...loop interstate so tight"?

Edited by Nashvillain

13 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Yes amazing.  But the very nature of that underdevelopment is what is making Nashville  so exciting.  Nashville, unlike older big cities, had a vast amount of open or lightly developed land available in a concentrated area.  Not having to tear down existing big buildings was a clear advantage to  our rapid growth.  Nashville Yards DID have to tear down the Lifeway tower, but the rest of the site was useless crap Baptist SS space.   Also having the loop  interstate so tight  spurs all the recent growth announced. without having to lierally develop a second or third core like Atlanta's Buckhead or Perimeter Mall cores.  Being able to closely concentrate development ceratainly makes the current growth much more impressive, even if it does not get the height of other metros.  From my experience, the major downside is that a huge number of Nashville natives are crapping in their drawers about how all the charm of Nashville is gone for good.  They can bellyache all they want as far as I am concerned... I think Nashville is finally becoming the city it should have been decades ago.

Thank you!! Absolutely agree. It is without doubt, all for the better. It’s astonishing what people will try to hold onto, as Smeags mentioned above, Nashville was a dark dreary not so appealing place. It’s time to move on to bigger and better, in todays uncertainly questionable economy everyone in the MSA should be welcoming this growth with open arms. We here are so fortunate to still be getting the investments and opportunities for jobs and a stable outlook for the future.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Hey Randy, I agree 100% and my question to them is this!

What charm? The adult books store's on Broadway, the crappy one-story buildings in SoBro, the old Greyhound Bus Station or is the old Rescue Mission they miss. Maybe it is the vacant land and buildings in the Gulch. How about the cheesy 80s themed crap on Demonbreun hill or the joke that was the CMHoF&M. Maybe it is the vacant land between downtown and Jefferson or the drive by shootings in Germantown or 12 S. Nashville was a dingy ugly boring city in the 70' and 80's much in the same way Chattanooga was.

Granted there is a lot more traffic and the woo woo girls, but the traffic comes with any growing city. No city can sit stagnant forever and those folks that miss it will be like the folks in the 1940's that missed the Nashville in the 1900's...They all go away to the wasted space of a graveyard and are forgotten forever.

It's that 'stalgia that's coloring their views. They remember what it was like when they were kids or young adults. When they were naive. When they knew where to go or not go, and what to do or not do. 

Modern ("New") Nashville is different. What they're used to had changed. They no longer know where to go or what to do. It's no longer comfortable. It's new and strange, and it's hard for some of those (especially those who are set in their ways) to explore and try the new things. It's much easier to lament the loss of the familiar (even if it wasn't really that *good*).

• Like 4

9 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

What charm? The adult books store's on Broadway, the crappy one-story buildings in SoBro, the old Greyhound Bus Station or is it the old Rescue Mission they miss. Maybe it is the vacant land and buildings in the Gulch. How about the cheesy 80s themed crap on Demonbreun hill or the joke that was the CMHoF&M. Maybe it is the vacant land between downtown and Jefferson or the drive by shootings in Germantown or 12 S. Nashville was a dingy ugly boring city in the 70' and 80's much in the same way Chattanooga was.

Granted there is a lot more traffic and the woo woo girls, but the traffic comes with any growing city. No city can sit stagnant forever and those folks that miss it will be like the folks in the 1940's that missed the Nashville in the 1900's...They all go away to the wasted space of a graveyard and are forgotten forever.

Smeags with a spot-on post. Agree.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

What charm? The adult books store's on Broadway, the crappy one-story buildings in SoBro, the old Greyhound Bus Station or is it the old Rescue Mission they miss. Maybe it is the vacant land and buildings in the Gulch. How about the cheesy 80s themed crap on Demonbreun hill or the joke that was the CMHoF&M. Maybe it is the vacant land between downtown and Jefferson or the drive by shootings in Germantown or 12 S. Nashville was a dingy ugly boring city in the 70' and 80's much in the same way Chattanooga was.

I agree with the point you're making, but I do think it's important to remember that we're losing more than just adult book stores and dilapidated buildings. I've lost some of my favorite college hangouts over the last several years:

The Sub Shop was replaced with Skyhouse

image.thumb.png.cc4a091acea19ef5914945f998621e56.png

And Noshville, J&J's, and the Corner Pub (don't miss this one too much) were consumed by Vanderbilt

image.thumb.png.081129e497a54e310e05da07e7ad3836.png

Once again, I fully agree with the point you're making, but I think it's important to acknowledge that sometimes these things come at a cost. And it's especially important to bear that in mind if we want to convince more of Nashville's citizens to view these projects more amiably.

• Like 2

This is an awesome video of this project.  Fantastic ESa!  Be sure and "click here" when it opens. 7:47 minute presentation.  Fabulous interiors.

esarch.comBelmont’s Fisher Center Honored with Best Project Award – ESaBelmont’s Fisher Center Honored with Best Project Awar.url

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1