Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

13 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Glad you enjoyed your trip Pillow Talk4. We have to take the good with the bad. Great breakdown though. Maybe someday it will get better!

Thanks!!!  I agree.  

BTW, I didn't realize I was posting in the Davidson West thread.  I thought I was in the Project Thread.  Please feel free to move my post there or to the CBD thread if more appropriate.

Edited by PillowTalk4

On 10/11/2022 at 1:50 PM, PillowTalk4 said:

Observations during my most recent trip to Nashville (10/6-10/9)

Airport:  Love the addition of more local retailers and restaurants to BNA.  Hoping the car rental counter area is temporary as it a long haul to get to from luggage claim.  Hope they find a way to shorten the walk to the car rental garage area.  That too is a long haul.  Did not like the intersection used to exit  on to Donelson Pike.  I almost got hit by a car another car that tried to race through before the light changed.   Returning a rental car was very simple and quick.  Security screening area is far better than what it was.  Really like the additional space provided in the Airline Check-In areas.  There were a lot of people there on Sunday morning but it didn't seem overly congested.   Glad to see all the improvements coming together.  I only wish the garages weren't so prominent since they have no architectural appeal.  The block the terminal if you're on Donelson Pike.  Hope they do nicer signage on Donelson Pike similar to the signage on the I-40 east bound entrance.

Skyline:  OMG!!! I don't know which angle is more impressive now.  I drove approaches into downtown on I-40 west bound, I-24 on the east side, I-40 on the southside, I-65 north bound from Thompson Lane area, West End Ave east bound, Ellington Parkway southwest bound.  I think the approach through Midtown towards downtown still has me more floored more than any.  It's just amazing to see all the development on the eastern edge of Midtown leading into all the new development on the western edge of downtown.  And, to see all the development at the I-40/65 split as you come into the city from the south side is also very impressive now.  

Traffic:  All I can say is it's horrible in every single direction on the interstates and several thoroughfares.  Something really needs to be done to widen 24/40 in and out bound.  It's just not designed to handle the volume of traffic it carries.  Not to mention 24E/40W split is just a mess no matter which direction.  I spent over an hour to get from Main Street and South 1st Street to Lot A of Nissan Stadium on Saturday, 10/8.   I don't know how you limit traffic around Nissan to those attending events there an hour or two before the event, but when you got party buses with bachelorettes, tour buses, 18 wheelers, cement trucks and other commercial vehicles, plus vehicles trying to get into downtown via Woodland Street and James Robertson Pkwy, it's just a recipe for disaster.   There should be much better signage along the interstates discouraging travel into the stadium area on event days.  Certainly discourage non event travelers from existing off the interstate into that area.  The sad part about it is that the attendance for the game was just under 23K.  Surely, such a disaster doesn't happen when the Titans play at Nissan.  There were people who not only missed the kick-off, but also missed most of the 1st quarter of the game.  I'm not sure what Metro police were doing.  At times they just seemed to be sitting at intersections on their motorcycles not doing anything.  Once I got past the Juvenile Detention Center on the Woodland Street side, I literally drove onto the side walk, through the grass and into the parking lot.  That's how frustrating it was.  A few other followed. 

HiFi Clydes on Church Street:  Cool place.  Met up with friends and fellow TSU alumni there on Friday evening for drinks, etc.  Now, the place across the street called WKND Hang Suite is clearly a hot spot.  At least that night it was.  So, when did people literally start parking on the sidewalks?  And, I mean all four wheels on the side walk.  That's what we saw on 17th Ave. N. when we left out.  It was around 11:30PM.  The line was going half way down the block on Church Street towards 18th Ave. N.  I managed to have found a street spot directly behind the Conrad.  One thing is for sure, with the additional residential towers that will go up in that area to the east and west, that area is going to be a local hotspot.

I can't wait to see Nashville a year from now.  Well off 2-3 years from now.  There is a vibe in Nashville that goes beyond country music.  Which is a good thing.  The locals still have a friendliness about them that you just don't see everywhere.

Finally, if you've not been to the Uncle Nearest Distillery in Shelbyville, you should.  We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and the food afterwards.  It's a great story behind the distillery.  And, I love their whisky.  Glad to now have two bottles of the two whiskies that are not sold in stores or online yet. 

A quality assessment, P-Talk. Visit our city any time. I've yet to try Uncle Nearest but hear it is outstanding.

Go, Big Blue Tigers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1