Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I think it was even used at commercial breaks during the Music City Bowl (I'm not sure if that's the one I saw, but it was a recent sporting event).  This is something the CVB would be able to 'encourage' with media packets if they thought it was a priority.  It's such a cliched shot of downtown, even with the 5&B buildings which appear diminished from that angle. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

It is still the most overused shot of Nashville's skyline.  HGTV still uses it as their primary shot.  It's time for it to be retired as the go to shot of Nashville.  That being said, I'm pretty certain that most media outlets are just pulling from stock photos they are buying from various sources.  Also, we have the benefit on this site to see photo's taken by amateur photo's on regular a basis that are more current and far more appealing.  We need professional photographers to submit newer shots similar to the ones we see here.  In my opinion, prior to the growth of the Gulch, SoBro and midtown, the better skyline shot was from the south looking north.  But, for some reason photographers seemly got stuck on including the Cumberland River in their photos which would limit the number of buildings that were fully visible.  Today, some of the better shots are coming from the west in addition to the view from the south.

Let me add that until the Batman Building was built the primary shot of Nashville was from the approach from the north near the I-24/I-65 split.  It's still a pretty good shot.  But it doesn't capture the growth in SoBro very well.

Totally agree! I've wondered why the media doesn't update their files. I think it's just laziness.

20 minutes ago, nashville born said:

n8.png

now it's time to get the western lining going to complete the "driving through" downtown feel.    Reed District, the dairy site, the two projects just north of that, Albion Music Row!  

I am sure as soon as the western line is completed with buildings, the decision to cap the interstate will be made!

• Like 4

On 1/12/2023 at 5:11 AM, markhollin said:

TBT: 1940, frozen Cumberland River:

1940 frozen Cumberland River x.jpg

I geek out over old photos and comparisons to what the places look like today.  Any idea where this one was taken?  Is it looking across the river from Shelby Park toward the Omohundro Water Treatment Plant; it looks so different, even considering how long 80 years is. The trellis of the bridge and the number of stone column supports is diffferent and the plant looks a lot farther back from the river.  And what are those portable buildings? And the floating building?  One even looks like it's teetering on the bank. There's also no evidence of the power line tower.  Reason I'm curious is that I wonder if building Old Hickory Dam changed the water level of the river that much.  In my quick search of potential spots where this was taken, I was a bit surprised to see only two crossings of the RR over the river.  I realize there was a contraction/consolidation of some railroads during the past 8 decades; so maybe there were other crossings over the river back then. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Native said:

One of the better views of the northern skyline is from the Millennium  Maxwell House Hotel in Metro Center.   As the sun was setting last night I got these two shots.

image.thumb.jpeg.c72c98fc4cd0083e06185de3f5ccc301.jpeg

My nominee for the NEW STOCK skyline photo used by every publication for those dreaded lists.  In a few years, I'd move a little wider to the left without cutting out Broadwest. The new dome and the Peabody and 2nd & Peabody towers will need to be included. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I geek out over old photos and comparisons to what the places look like today.  Any idea where this one was taken?  Is it looking across the river from Shelby Park toward the Omohundro Water Treatment Plant; it looks so different, even considering how long 80 years is. The trellis of the bridge and the number of stone column supports is diffferent and the plant looks a lot farther back from the river.  And what are those portable buildings? And the floating building?  One even looks like it's teetering on the bank. There's also no evidence of the power line tower.  Reason I'm curious is that I wonder if building Old Hickory Dam changed the water level of the river that much.  In my quick search of potential spots where this was taken, I was a bit surprised to see only two crossings of the RR over the river.  I realize there was a contraction/consolidation of some railroads during the past 8 decades; so maybe there were other crossings over the river back then. 

The bridge you are seeing is the Woodland Street bridge and the photo was taken about where Fort Nashboro was.  Gay street under the bridges did not exist as the Victorians on the banks at the Suare were still there.   The stone piersyou see of the bridge still exist the same today; they just replaced the superstructure..  The stone abuttment behind  the short pier was rebuilt to account for the wider traffic lanes of the new bridgework.  My mother was one of the folks who walked across the frozen river.  I don't think Old Hickory dam had anything to do with the water level at the base of the pier.  It is the same as it is today.  All of those small buildings are where the parking lot is for the stadium.  They are sitting right where the rail line along the river still exists  so I would guess maybe housing for railroad workers?  The houseboat must have been there for quite a while as you can clearly see steps down the bank to it,  no there were no other rail crossings back then other than the swing bridge downtown and the Shelby Bottoms trussle bridge to my knowledge.

1099935696_1940frozenCumberlandRiverx.thumb.jpg.45576f21bec03dd5f1ce7d506bc9dcb0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Baronakim said:

The bridge you are seeing is the Woodland Street bridge and the photo was taken about where Fort Nashboro was.  Gay street under the bridges did not exist as the Victorians on the banks at the Suare were still there.   The stone piersyou see of the bridge still exist the same today; they just replaced the superstructure..  The stone abuttment behind  the short pier was rebuilt to account for the wider traffic lanes of the new bridgework.  My mother was one of the folks who walked across the frozen river.  I don't think Old Hickory dam had anything to do with the water level at the base of the pier.  It is the same as it is today.  All of those small buildings are where the parking lot is for the stadium.  They are sitting right where the rail line along the river still exists  so I would guess maybe housing for railroad workers?  The houseboat must have been there for quite a while as you can clearly see steps down the bank to it,  no there were no other rail crossings back then other than the swing bridge downtown and the Shelby Bottoms trussle bridge to my knowledge.

1099935696_1940frozenCumberlandRiverx.thumb.jpg.45576f21bec03dd5f1ce7d506bc9dcb0.jpg

It is the Woodland Street Bridge.  However, isn't Gay Street is on the west side of the bridge not the east?  And, the piers don't appear to have been used with the current bridge based on the photo below.  But the support structure on the east side that was built for the original bridge still remains.

Woodland Street Bridge over the Cumberland  image.thumb.png.eec8d7118e2fa085507825bd20396318.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

It is the Woodland Street Bridge.  However, isn't Gay Street is on the west side of the bridge not the east?  And, the piers don't appear to have been used with the current bridge based on the photo below.  But the support structure on the east side that was built for the original bridge still remains.

Woodland Street Bridge over the Cumberland  image.thumb.png.eec8d7118e2fa085507825bd20396318.png

You are right.  I was thinking about the Victory bridge which was built with similar looking  piers before the Woodland bridge was rebuilt.  I mentioned Gay Street because the beginning of it by the now reconstructed Fort Nashboro was just about from where the 1940 photo was taken.  Gay Street did not exist there in 1940.  The Victorians  on the east side of the Square were on the river bank bluff.  It is interesting that between the two current bridge's piers, some of the old pier/abutments of the first bridge over the Cumberland still exist.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1