Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I found this photo of the Ritz Theater that stood on Jefferson Street.  It was among photos taken by my grandparents.   I'm not sure when the photo was taken.  

image.thumb.png.a2a33fbffa24bf8af7db5b00b5908d7e.png

The Ritz Theater opened in April of 1937 and closed sometime in 1969.  It was the primary theater that African Americans in Nashville could go to view a movie and not have to adhere to Jim Crow laws .  The Ritz also served as a concert venue and many notable artist performed there.  The building in the photo was razed around the time I-40 was constructed.   A newer Ritz Theater was built in the area and operated from 1973 to 1980.  But it was never lived up to the same fame of the original theater.  Prior to the new theater being demolished in 2001, there were several proposals to revitalize the property which had fallen to disrepair.   I recall there were proposals to convert the building to an art museum and event space.  The city also proposed converting it into a mass transit facility with a day care.  Others proposed turning it into a supper club.  Obviously, none of those proposals came to fruition.

My guess is that it could have been when the theater opened. The movie posters showing looks more like an old 1930' poster, but I could not ID it.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The NBJ has an article today on the new neighborhood, "South Bank", where Peabody Union and the 2nd & Peabody and Park Place, among others.  I think you can read w/o paywall...  https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/03/07/south-bank-nashville-neighborhood-ray-hensler.html 

A map shows the boundaries of South Bank, a newly proposed neighborhood branding effort. LoDo (which has now been scrapped in favor of South Bank).

screenshot-2023-03-07-at-121004-pm.png
Couple of additional renderings of Peabody Union, from NBJ

Not to be outdone, stakeholders in the area highlighted below have renamed the area Interstate Canyon West.

image.png.5b7471b9f1f7de11867fd0011d28552a.png

East Nashville stakeholders are contemplating Interstate Canyon East along I-24.

:tw_glasses:

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Aug 29, 1995, Church St. between 7th Ave. North and 8th Ave. North.

Aug 29, 1995, Church St between 7th and 8th Aves, demo, 1 x.png

Sorry Mark, I do not recognize ANY of these buildings. Nothing between 7th and 8th on the south side matches old photos and the north side is intact.  Nor do I recognize the tower beyond.

• Like 1

I have often remarked about the  memories I have of how desolate the drive  down Demonbreum and McGavock towards the river was back 30 years ago. All the weedy lots and trash filled streets.  For those newer to Nashville, here is a shot of the Bridgestone being built showing the area now very filled with towers and the Convention Center.  The photo though is flipped right to left.

image.jpeg

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

Sorry Mark, I do not recognize ANY of these buildings. Nothing between 7th and 8th on the south side matches old photos and the north side is intact.  Nor do I recognize the tower beyond.

I was a bit confused as well. The shot is from The Tennessean archives that noted the exact date and location.

23 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

I have often remarked about the  memories I have of how desolate the drive  down Demonbreum and McGavock towards the river was back 30 years ago. All the weedy lots and trash filled streets.  For those newer to Nashville, here is a shot of the Bridgestone being built showing the area now very filled with towers and the Convention Center.  The photo though is flipped right to left.

image.jpeg

It is interesting that this shot is reversed with 6th Ave. on the left and 5th Ave. on the right while looking south.

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Aug 29, 1995, Church St. between 7th Ave. North and 8th Ave. North.

Aug 29, 1995, Church St between 7th and 8th Aves, demo, 1 x.png

Shouldn't that be Commerce Street rather than Church Street where they started clearing for construction of the current Federal Courthouse? The Bennie Dillon Building is in the distant background.

3 minutes ago, MidTenn1 said:

Shouldn't that be Commerce Street rather than Church Street where they started clearing for construction of the current Federal Courthouse? The Bennie Dillon Building is in the distant background.

That was my initial thought.  I just don't remember those former structures being 3 stories.  I remember one that was a two (maybe thee) story brick building that had a music store on the first level and parking above, if I recall correctly (NW corner of Commerce and 7th Ave. North).