Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

colin

arcgis users?

6 posts in this topic

I figured since there are quite a few urban planners on here I'd try to find out who actually uses the ESRI product specifically, or any other GIS software.

So, anyone? And to not make it a boring thread, tell a little bit on how you use it...

I work for a parking department which also deals with shuttles and enforcement, so maps are required quite often.

I've tried to move all of our parking maps over to GIS, including the public ones, but a little known fact about Tucson's grid system is that it's about 1 degree off from being straight, which makes the true-to-life maps look, as one of my colleagues put it, "like it was drawn by a drunken sailor." So, we're stuck with our not-to-scale Illustrator maps for that and other reasons. From what I've heard about 9.2, it sounds very exciting especially its SVG export capability.

I figured since there are quite a few urban planners on here I'd try to find out who actually uses the ESRI product specifically, or any other GIS software.

So, anyone? And to not make it a boring thread, tell a little bit on how you use it...

I work for a parking department which also deals with shuttles and enforcement, so maps are required quite often.

I've tried to move all of our parking maps over to GIS, including the public ones, but a little known fact about Tucson's grid system is that it's about 1 degree off from being straight, which makes the true-to-life maps look, as one of my colleagues put it, "like it was drawn by a drunken sailor." So, we're stuck with our not-to-scale Illustrator maps for that and other reasons. From what I've heard about 9.2, it sounds very exciting especially its SVG export capability.

i took a class on it a while back... did some work with birding counts from the mansfield, ct area for a project with it. outside of that, i haven't really used it for anything else.

At my office, we use GeoMedia Professional, I/RAS C (an Intergraph product that works with Microstation, a CAD program), TerraShare (another Intergraph product, I think mostly just for using aerial photography and reprojection). ArcGIS was popular at my college, but I never used it weirdly enough (instead it was some other obscure GIS program I can't remember, and that I never heard anyone else use).

I wish I could say more, but I'm not a GIS pro. I mostly use it for aerial photography, for use in other programs like Microstation, a program called VISSIM (a sophisticated microsimulation transportation modelling software)... actually spatial analyzes get done by others in my office. I bet someone else on UP has used ArcGIS, since it's so popular.

I use ArcInfo all the time for work. I'm a transportation planner in a large consulting firm. For some of our studies geospatial analysis is a very large portion of the work.

colin, what specifically is wrong with the street maps? Are the lines crooked, or is the 1-degree angle itself strange looking? Your data frame can be rotated in ArcGIS to make it appear straight. If the lines are just drawn kinda funky (because they're from Census's TIGER, which often has strangely-oriented street centerlines) then perhaps a different data source would make things look better. Alternatively you could take better lines drawn in AutoCAD, for example, import them into GIS, and georeference them. It sounds like a complicated task but with practice it's really quite easy.

I have spent most of my GIS time on an ArcInfo machine, though I am currently using ArcView, which sucks.

My guess is that since it is so slightly off from center that when it is displayed on a computer, the resolution of the screen casues it to look weird. This probably happens on smaller printed maps too (that would be used by the general public). I would hope that Tuscon would have better centerline data than TIGER though:).

There is a way to adjust your map lines in ArcMap so that they are more visually appealing. I am not certain how to do it right off hand, but I know it can be done. It seems like some sort or rotate feature would be the most useful. You may want to contact ESRI about your situation.

My job involves the use of several ArcGIS products; ArcGIS desktop, ArcSDE and ArcIMS.

I work at the city of Grand Rapids, MI and am the administrator of the SDE and IMS stuff. The city of GR provides several GIS applications for internal use as well for citizens mostly in the customer service area.

Great products!!