Shelby County Planning & Development

kayman

Scenic Dunnavant byway luring development

Dunnavant Valley will be soon home to nearly 4,335 household with the construction of the new development Dunnavant Square. The RPC is now studying how is the Dunnavant Valley Road going to deal with this sudden influx of new residents and traffic that will come along with the large development. However, many groups like Friends of Dunnavant Valley are now pushing for the creation of a greenway that would preserve the nature scenery of the valley and reduce the use of automobiles. With all the development in the valley it will require more smart-growth plans like this.

Dunnavant Valley Community Greenway Plan

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shelby County's Comprehensive Development Plan

Primarily to control sprawl in the unincorporated areas

Planners researching ways to control development on mountain ridges

The Shelby County Planning Commission is trying to find way to deter developers from continuing to affect the beauty of the mountain ridges in the county. They are trying to find ways to deter the developers with incentives from not developing on the ridges and encouraging the Shelby County Commission to deny or make changes to the approval process.

Planners researching ways to control development on mountain ridges

The Shelby County Planning Commission is trying to find way to deter developers from continuing to affect the beauty of the mountain ridges in the county. They are trying to find ways to deter the developers with incentives from not developing on the ridges and encouraging the Shelby County Commission to deny or make changes to the approval process.

Is development on ridges a problem in Birmingham? I would think the biggest problem would be antennae and other communication towers. I know I saw quite a few on the ridges just east of town on I-20.

Is development on ridges a problem in Birmingham? I would think the biggest problem would be antennae and other communication towers. I know I saw quite a few on the ridges just east of town on I-20.

OM Gosh yes!!! They just shave the tops of the mountains off, and they just don't look good anymore. There're a lot of places I've seen that have just lost any indication that there was mountain there to begin with.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde....xml&coll=2

The new rules will be part of the county's overall conprehensive plan for smart growth. The new rules would make subdivisions more pedastrian and cyclist friendly. There will also be a 2 new types of subdivisions that would be encouraged, conservation subdivisions and form-based subdivisions. However, this will have to be all approved by the Shelby County Commission before it can all go into enforcement.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde....xml&coll=2

The new rules will be part of the county's overall conprehensive plan for smart growth. The new rules would make subdivisions more pedastrian and cyclist friendly. There will also be a 2 new types of subdivisions that would be encouraged, conservation subdivisions and form-based subdivisions. However, this will have to be all approved by the Shelby County Commission before it can all go into enforcement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

However, it seems the Greater Birmingham Association of Home Builders doesn't think the Planning Commission should have any say on how they construct their developments. Their argument is the Planning Commission is trying to control the zoning of the developments.

Shelby housing plan frets builders

This just goes to show how pathetic these developers are scared of "smart growth" because they think it will affect their bottom line. Actuality, smart growth actually helps because more density means more homes can be built. Stupidity, at its best.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, they did. They are the first county in the state that has such stringent planning/zoning regulations to prevent more unsustainable sprawl. The developments in Chelsea and the $1 million+ homes in the northeastern end of the county are the some of the first developments under consideration these new regulations.

2 Shelby County Municipalities planning major mixed use projects, Alabaster and Helena

ALABASTER'S CITY CENTER:

People-friendly center planned

HELENA'S HILLSBORO

Helena's Hillsboro home sales kick off

Also, Helena has recently gave the go ahead on the massive mixed used project named Hillsboro. The land was donated by US Steel and will take nearly 30 years to fully complete. The project will bring an addition 7,700 new homes to 15,000 resident municipality.

This is great news for Helena and Alabaster to know that they are trying to stay away from building just to build sprawl. This will be a pedestrian-friendly community with sidewalks, townhouses, condos, retail, and restaurants all in the development. I guess Mt. Laurel started a new trend in Shelby County. Progressive planning at its best. :thumbsup:

Yeah, Shelby County seems to be on the forefront of most of this progressive development. Too bad Jeffco Planning Commission isn't gutsy enough to push as stringent regulations, but we all know with our current county commission nothing like that stands an iceberg chance in hell.

:offtopic: Slightly off-topic, that is probably the main reason why Shelby hasn't attempted to get on board with forming a regional transit system to solve their growing traffic woes because of how regressive the Jeffco government officials are.

Archived