Mid-Town Center

btoy

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty cool :thumbsup: , now if we can just get someone to redo county square to get those highrises... :D

Actually, I would have liked to see something a little more vertical here, this is at a high point in the city, right on a hill, and anything with some height would really stick out, as well as provide some GREAT views of the surrounding area. Might like to see one or two of these building around 10 stories. Otherwise looks nice.

This is the type of development that would look awesome across form the old American Federal building where the BB&T branch and parking lot are!

This will be very, VERY cool - especially when coupled with the development on the Cameron-Barkley site across University Ridge. :D Way to go Hughes Commercial Developments! I agree with btoy on wishing parking to be behind the buildings. If that design ordinace proposed recently had passed, we would not even be mentioning such things since all new buildings in the city would have been built to the street. Oh well, this project is large enough to settle for less than perfection. ;)

Just as bad as Piggly Wiggly though. It's not really safe to shop at either one after dark. I've lived here where there are Bi-Lo's and in Columbia where there are Piggly Wiggly's and believe me, one is just as dirty as the other.

I hope Bi-Lo does a massive transformation.

It's not as bad as Piggly Wiggly. I shop at Bilo all the time at night and have never had a problem with safety and have never heard of any safety problems at the one near my house. They already are doing massive transformations. Look at the one on Pleasantburg Drive next to I-85. They just completely renovated the whole place. A few years ago, they did the same to the one at the Pleasantburg Drive/East North Street intersection.

Just as bad as Piggly Wiggly though. It's not really safe to shop at either one after dark. I've lived here where there are Bi-Lo's and in Columbia where there are Piggly Wiggly's and believe me, one is just as dirty as the other.

I hope Bi-Lo does a massive transformation.

What a really odd statement. I guess Bi-Lo doesn't have the "coolness" factor, whatever that is.

Quite frankly, it's a good store that serves this community greatly. That side of town is in sore need of a grocery store. And it will provide jobs for lots of kids and some other folks in that area, as will some of the other stores.

I just don't understand the thinking that we have a luxury, to well, demand luxury and "coolness" all the time. North Charleston leaders are at this moment are trying to figure out how they can get a grocery store, any kind, to fill in some areas of town that lack them. It's a serious issue. What a world we live in the early 21st century when the type of super, every eisle filled with food that Louis XIV could not afford to get, grocery store is what is debated.

It's a tremendous development, and I'm glad it's come. The architectural designs are very reminiscent of the old Furman campus across University Ridge.

It's not as bad as Piggly Wiggly. I shop at Bilo all the time at night and have never had a problem with safety and have never heard of any safety problems at the one near my house. They already are doing massive transformations. Look at the one on Pleasantburg Drive next to I-85. They just completely renovated the whole place. A few years ago, they did the same to the one at the Pleasantburg Drive/East North Street intersection.

I am not sure about all of the Bi-Lo store locations, but I can speak for a couple I have shopped at late several times; Pelham Road (Thornblade), East North Street, 153 in Powdersville, and South Church Street, across from the GHS main campus. These have been great each time I have been there after dark. The Powdersville store has actually been ahead of the curve with TVs throughout playing news, weather, cooking, and Bi-Lo commercial segments, but even that store is undergoing renovation. It isn't very old either.

I'm not trying to plug Bi-Lo over Publix, Bloom, Whole Foods, etc, just attempting to point out that even those stores aren't as bad as one might think based on distant history. ;)

Looks like a decent development but "Ugh" at the parking lots.

There is actually only one parking lot and it is the one we're disappointed in being located out front. It would have been nice to see all parking inside a garage underneath and behind the development, and then add a park, or more retail/office/residential to the area where the lot currently is drawn. :huh:

What an excellent project! I think it is ideal; in-town neighborhoods really need more mainstream retail, so a grocery store and the like are perfect stores for the project. Bell Tower Mall's flop showed that the area doesn't have the drawing power for mall-type/Haywood Road retail, so a grocery store and neighborhood-type stores are perfect. Hopefully the next thing to happen to this area will be the redevelopment of County Square into a similar project.

Archived