Mid-Town Center

btoy

Ok, does anyone else kind of cringe when you say Super Bilo? Cringe might be the wrong word, but hear me out...

Since a 'Super Bilo' is suppose to be more upscale than your average Bilo grocery store, it just seems like a better name would be in order. I can understand keeping your original name but twisting it a little for a new store, but "super"? Super gets my mind thinking along the lines of Walmart Supercenter. I get the impression of a "Big Lots" type of establishment. In other words on the scale of grocery tiers, my thought process takes me down the scale not up the scale and conveys the opposite image. I'm sure seeing it on a brand new building will change that image, but for now that's my image...

But don't get me wrong! I totally welcome the Super Bilo's to Greenville and I'm excited to see a locally based chain growing. I will shop there and can't wait for my first Super Bilo experience. I just don't understand their naming... :)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, does anyone else kind of cringe when you say Super Bilo? Cringe might be the wrong word, but hear me out...

Since a 'Super Bilo' is suppose to be more upscale than your average Bilo grocery store, it just seems like a better name would be in order. I can understand keeping your original name but twisting it a little for a new store, but "super"? Super gets my mind thinking along the lines of Walmart Supercenter. I get the impression of a "Big Lots" type of establishment. In other words on the scale of grocery tiers, my thought process takes me down the scale not up the scale and conveys the opposite image. I'm sure seeing it on a brand new building will change that image, but for now that's my image...

But don't get me wrong! I totally welcome the Super Bilo's to Greenville and I'm excited to see a locally based chain growing. I will shop there and can't wait for my first Super Bilo experience. I just don't understand their naming... :)

I'm with you, GvilleSC! If BiLo is trying to differentiate from thier regular stores, they should have gone w/ a different name for this upscale store. (i.e. Bloom for Food Lion, Newton's for the Pig, etc.) Their marketing missed the boat...

Having said that, I shop at BiLo frequently and am extremely pleased with this development. Can't wait to see it get started!

I'm with you, GvilleSC! If BiLo is trying to differentiate from thier regular stores, they should have gone w/ a different name for this upscale store. (i.e. Bloom for Food Lion, Newton's for the Pig, etc.) Their marketing missed the boat...

Having said that, I shop at BiLo frequently and am extremely pleased with this development. Can't wait to see it get started!

Super Bi-Lo isn't really "upscale" or much better than regular Bi-Lo, so changing the name this time wouldn't make much of a difference. However, if they have plans to change the interior appearence and add more technologically-advanced amenities, I agree. The Powdersville Bi-Lo seems to be their "guinea pig."

Its interesting that you Greenvillians are not fans of Bi-Lo, considering that it is HQ's in Mauldin.

Most all of the Bi-Lo's that I have been to are always nice and clean. I would never compare them to the Pig.

Bilo has always been my primary place to shop, I love EarthFare, WholeFoods and FreshMarket but I see them for splurging not everyday shopping. But, I could see Bloom taking Bilo's place in my life, but when I move this new Bilo when done will be more convient will probubly get much of my business.

Also, in regards to the Greer Bilo location, I am glad to hear that they are stilling planning on doing something at that site, they have owned it for years. They actually own another site in Greer across from River Side High School at Suber Rd. and Hammet Bridge Road, the Spinx there used to be a Golden Gallons, but that site has been for sale for a while now.

Could be interesting.

For the Bi-Lo- the Winn-Dixie at Bell Tower Mall, diagonally across Church St., was ghetto. I don't see that the Crescent Avenue folks (like my parents now) ever shopped there much, but the area is definitely more of a place that people would be open to going to now. I don't see that the neighborhoods around there have changed that much from the '80s, demographically- lots of very upscale and lots of very downscale; enough customers for a store to do OK.

For the Publix- downtown has gone from zero residential to what it has now, and there are enough office workers to provide a decent lunchtime crowd if there is an in-store cafe.

I'd thus say that both stores will do fine; Bi-Lo will because it'll be a better-run store then that Winn-Dixie was, and the Publix will because of its downtown location.

Glad to have both!

Also, in regards to the Greer Bilo location, I am glad to hear that they are stilling planning on doing something at that site, they have owned it for years. They actually own another site in Greer across from River Side High School at Suber Rd. and Hammet Bridge Road, the Spinx there used to be a Golden Gallons, but that site has been for sale for a while now.

When Bi-Lo opened Golden Gallon there circa 2000, they thought of opening a store later on. Bi-Lo left the convenience store/gas business by selling its upstate locations to Spinx and out-of-state locations to The Pantry.

Both locations along Hammett Bridge Road are ideal for supermarkets. The area is severely underserved with hundreds of residences going up along South Suber, East Suber and Gibbs Shoals roads. The site closest to SC-14 sees more traffic and is already located in a commercial district.

Any ideas on where the one(s) in Spartanburg will be located?

Right now, it appears Super Bi-Lo will have five stores in Greenville County. Four will be new; one will be an expansion/remodel of an existing one. I hear the Anderson, Asheville and Spartanburg areas are under consideration for future Super Bi-Lo locations.

Here;s a rundown of Super Bi-Lo locations mentioned/confirmed:

Greenville

• South Church Street @ University Ridge

• Mileston Plaza, Pelham Road

• Verdae Village, Verdae Boulevard

Greer

• SC-14 South at Hammett Bridge and South Buncombe roads

Simpsonville

• Gresham Plaza, SC-417 at SC-14

All I can say is, regardless of whom the grocer is, this looks like exactly the type of project we need more of in this area. It's not high-rise development, but it is higher-density residential with a retail component. This combined with McBee Station and RiverPlace are great for downtown. :shades: I love this project!

Now, if only the County Square itself could be redeveloped. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what's wrong with County Square? It's a government office, I'm not expecting or hoping for something particularly fancy, just functional.

The idea is (and there seems to be some overall general agreement about this, at least on the forum) that the County Square property would be better put to use if developed as a primarily residential mid-to-high rise development with mixed-use (mostly office and some retail (i.e. food) components as well) and that the County Government offices could be moved into a new office building either on this same site or another site downtown (perhaps nearer the new Federal Court House).

The idea is (and there seems to be some overall general agreement about this, at least on the forum) that the County Square property would be better put to use if developed as a primarily residential mid-to-high rise development with mixed-use (mostly office and some retail (i.e. food) components as well) and that the County Government offices could be moved into a new office building either on this same site or another site downtown (perhaps nearer the new Federal Court House).

AGREED :thumbsup:

That sounds absolutely perfect. I think you'd have a bright future in the real estate business if you got the ball rolling!

Unfortunately, County government won't move anytime soon. Would cost too much money

Perhaps this is one reason they want to raise property taxes this year? If that surplus money could be guaranteed to go into a building fund, I would be very much in favor.

Perhaps this is one reason they want to raise property taxes this year? If that surplus money could be guaranteed to go into a building fund, I would be very much in favor.

I agree. I would love for Greenville County offices to relocate to a tower downtown, especially if it could be on property that is currently underutilized (e.g., an open parking lot). As many have already noted, the county offices are currently on very prime real estate. Can you imagine how wonderful the view would be from a nice condo there, overlooking the Reedy River with the skyline just on the other side? Not to mention new shopping right next door! Wow!

Its interesting that you Greenvillians are not fans of Bi-Lo, considering that it is HQ's in Mauldin.

Most all of the Bi-Lo's that I have been to are always nice and clean. I would never compare them to the Pig.

I have always liked Bilo. I have never been fond of the name, as it does conjure up some cheapo images, but then it is better than Winn-Dixie or the Pig (not trying to start the name thing up again :P ).

The stores themselves are usually quite nice, for a regular grocery store, and since they got rid of the bull head, the facades are pretty classy as well.

I forget, anybody know what will happen to the Bilo on N main?

I agree. I would love for Greenville County offices to relocate to a tower downtown, especially if it could be on property that is currently underutilized (e.g., an open parking lot). As many have already noted, the county offices are currently on very prime real estate. Can you imagine how wonderful the view would be from a nice condo there, overlooking the Reedy River with the skyline just on the other side? Not to mention new shopping right next door! Wow!

Where would we Greenville Drive fans park then? You guys actually think the county has the money to build a tower downtown. They barely have enough money to keep up with our roads.

Archived