Mid-Town Center

btoy

While the parking lot along the street is not optimal, this development is much better than the current use of the space. :lol:

I like the concept, and think it will fit well into the Haynie-Sirrine master plan. As Skyliner noted, now we must keep our fingers crossed that the other side of Church Street will soon improve.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as bad as Piggly Wiggly though. It's not really safe to shop at either one after dark. I've lived here where there are Bi-Lo's and in Columbia where there are Piggly Wiggly's and believe me, one is just as dirty as the other.

I hope Bi-Lo does a massive transformation.

Give me a break !!!

I go to the North Main & Park Bi-Lo (which admittedly does LOOK sketchy) at night (many times), even just before closing, and have not had any problems. I am 5'9" and weigh 120, BTW, so I am sure my physical presence hasn't disswayed any would-be trouble-makers. Yes there are some lower income folks at that location, but they have to eat don't they? As I stated, I have never had a problem there.

I CERTAINLY have no trepidation about the other Bi-Lo stores. Just because they aren't as high-fluting as Publix, doesn't mean they are a gangster's hide out. I mean really !!

Additionally, since there was an announcement yesterday about the first Super BiLo at Verdae, there is every reason to believe this one COULD be one as well. For those that missed it, I have poste dthe link, but basically, a Super Bi-Lo is more upscale, a direct competitor to Publix.

Super Bi-Lo at Verdae will offer upscale offerings to ICAR, Verade area

This project is excellent. It is totally urban with the exception of the front BiLo parking lot itself. You have to expect that a grocery store will expect convenient and traditional parking until the true-urban format is more commonplace. This is the deep South, not Boston.

EDIT: The Hughes flier refers to "upscale retail", so that lends credence to the Super Bi-LO likelyhood.

Just thinking, that this project could really be linked to the West End since they're really separated by just County Square and a few smaller buildings. Done right, this could be the start of a major expansion of G'ville's center city, as long as County Square is developed into a pedestrian-friendly office, residential or mixed-use property.

Considering where it's located, that Bi-Lo is going to have a VERY diverse clientele. Culture clash! Should make for some fun people watching.

It's been pointed out to me how unusual Greenville is because of the mix of wealthy and poorer neighborhoods being so close to each other, and that neighborhood is a prime example.

See the Bi-Lo on Church St. near I-185 to see more of this as that is where a lot of Chanticleer folks and run down mill village folks shop together. Seems to work well.

Just thinking, that this project could really be linked to the West End since they're really separated by just County Square and a few smaller buildings. Done right, this could be the start of a major expansion of G'ville's center city, as long as County Square is developed into a pedestrian-friendly office, residential or mixed-use property.

Great point, and this expansion could really be what Gviile needs. This will open up 29 for development from University ridge, all the way to Augusta and maybe eventually (when our g-kids retire) to Memorial hospital. Perhaps one day all of this would be considered DT or at least in-town. Can you envision high density housing and mid to highrises all the way to I-185. Throw in plenty of retail and european architecture too. :)

Anybody else a little disappointed or confused as to why Bilo opened their first supercenter in Columbia??? I can't imagine why they would not have started with their home market first. This seems a little odd to me.

There was at least one in Knoxville years before the one in Columbia.

Check out these links for more info on Super Bi-Lo stores:

Design Fabrications

Gresham Plaza (New in Simpsonville) - says this will be first Upstate Super Bi-Lo and largest yet

Suburban Columbia Super Bi-Lo

Southeast Real Estate Business - April, 2006

All-in-all, sounds like Bi-Lo is here to stay, but isn't standing by while other new flashy stores enter the vast market in the Greenville metro. :shades:

Its interesting that you Greenvillians are not fans of Bi-Lo, considering that it is HQ's in Mauldin.

Most all of the Bi-Lo's that I have been to are always nice and clean. I would never compare them to the Pig.

Spartan I find it interesting that you lumped all Greenvillians into one group based on one or two comments above, even though several of us have said positive things about the company since. I for one am proud of the recent competitive efforts shown by our homegrown supermarket, so I take at least a small amount of offence at your remark. No harm done though, really. ;)

The sf seems to be pretty large. I'd guess that it would be a Super-BiLo.

What is the distinction between a Super BiLo and a regular one anyways?

Super Bi-Lo is a specific branding of the store to think it is a higher tier store than your typical Bi-Lo stores. Having little difference in size, Super Bi-Lo has the usual amenties with a few extras - a full service photo processing center, a sushi bar, possible dry cleaning, a coffee shop, etc., and a bright open air feel.

With Simpsonville's Gresham Plaza's Super Bi-Lo coming, I wonder where that leaves the existing South Street Bi-Lo, which is in dire needs of an upgrade. Greer will also have a Super Bi-Lo at South Buncombe and Hammett Bridge roads and SC-14 South.

Super Bi-Lo is a specific branding of the store to think it is a higher tier store than your typical Bi-Lo stores. Having little difference in size, Super Bi-Lo has the usual amenties with a few extras - a full service photo processing center, a sushi bar, possible dry cleaning, a coffee shop, etc., and a bright open air feel.

With Simpsonville's Gresham Plaza's Super Bi-Lo coming, I wonder where that leaves the existing South Street Bi-Lo, which is in dire needs of an upgrade. Greer will also have a Super Bi-Lo at South Buncombe and Hammett Bridge roads and SC-14 South.

So could we be speaking of 4 possible Super Bi-Lo supermarkets in the Greenville city-metro? That is incredible, especially considering the number of other new stores in the area, and more planned to come. :shok:

So could we be speaking of 4 possible Super Bi-Lo supermarkets in the Greenville city-metro? That is incredible, especially considering the number of other new stores in the area, and more planned to come. :shok:

Yes, we could be looking at 4 super Bi-Lo's in the Greenville city-metro over the next couple of years. :thumbsup:

I like Bi-Lo. They are a clean, mid-tier supermarket that I have no problem with. Their stores are always fine, and their prices are reasonable. I have never felt unsafe in a Bi-Lo, and on the whole they are definitely superior to Piggly Wiggly.

I was contracted by Ahold to create graphics for Bi-Lo and Topps marketing efforts during the building boom of the late 1990s to early 2000s. I am forever tied to the successes and failures of our Mauldin-based store. :thumbsup:

Right now, it appears Super Bi-Lo will have five stores in Greenville County. Four will be new; one will be an expansion/remodel of an existing one. I hear the Anderson, Asheville and Spartanburg areas are under consideration for future Super Bi-Lo locations.

Here;s a rundown of Super Bi-Lo locations mentioned/confirmed:

Greenville

• South Church Street @ University Ridge

• Mileston Plaza, Pelham Road

• Verdae Village, Verdae Boulevard

Greer

• SC-14 South at Hammett Bridge and South Buncombe roads

Simpsonville

• Gresham Plaza, SC-417 at SC-14

Archived