GVSU sees +216% increase in just over 10 years

GRDadof3

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's incredible. I went to GVSU back in the early to mid '80s. I'll bet I wouldn't even recognize the campus now.

I don't recognize the campus, and I graduated in '01. The enrollment has grown by leaps and bounds. As such, campus buildings have as well.

is GVSU still regarded as a local school, or have they started to gather more prestige? Also, are they done expanding the campus or do they have more plans after the engineering school is done?

I think it may be considered a "local" school by those around here. However, I can tell you that very few of my current aquaintances (personal or business) who graduated from GVSU are from the "west side" of the state or even Michigan naitives.

is GVSU still regarded as a local school, or have they started to gather more prestige? Also, are they done expanding the campus or do they have more plans after the engineering school is done?

I think that for the most part it is, but in all reality, unless you are top ten in a field - you are pretty much a local school. At least you have no more weight than a local school in getting your students employed. However, in terms of local schools, its star is definitely on the rise. The last MBA rating I saw had GVSU at top ten in the Midwest - far from nationally prominant, but up there with schools like Purdue, MSU, and Illinois.

I think people are really starting to notice the attention to detail at the school, the outstanding facilities, and the focus on essentials - amazingly there is little waste at GVSU since they recieve so little from the State.

The most amazing part about those growth numbers is that those are the years where they were attempting to slow growth. Honestly, I would like to see GVSU settle into the 30,000 - 35,000 major University slot and start really focusing on their strongest fields.

I might get slapped for this, but I think if they are going to transition into a more well-known school, they need to change the name. Grand Valley State sounds very "local", especially to out-of-staters.

Think about it if you heard someone say "Ohio River Valley State University", or "Tennessee Valley State University". That, to me, sounds like a small school.

Just a thought.

I might get slapped for this, but I think if they are going to transition into a more well-known school, they need to change the name. Grand Valley State sounds very "local", especially to out-of-staters.

Think about it if you heard someone say "Ohio River Valley State University", or "Tennessee Valley State University". That, to me, sounds like a small school.

Just a thought.

I'll walk out on that limb with you. How about University of Grand Rapids (or would that not work because most of the campus is in Allendale?)

Just a thought.

Heh.. I dunno about that.. Only because that make me sound.. really old..

"I got my degree from Blah Blah Blah University, back when it was called Grand Valley State"..

I'll walk out on that limb with you. How about University of Grand Rapids (or would that not work because most of the campus is in Allendale?)

Well they can say "University of Grand Rapids" and "University of Grand Rapids - Allendale Campus." I think it would be a reversal of focus in the right direction. :shades: They'd just need to stick the Admin building into the Pew campus.

I've often thought that it would a good thing to see yet another university built in Grand Rapids. Some city leaders I've spoken with about it don't agree because universities wouldn't pay city taxes. -sigh- I feel that is just shortsighted.

There must be a study somewhere that talks about positive economic effects (incl. externalities) associated with new universities... anyone have any leads?

I personally think it would be a great adaptive reuse of the butterworth landfill, too. :whistling:

cf. http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry490302

and/or

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...27285&st=20

Just a thought.

While I never went there or anything, if they wanted to name it after me, that would be ok with me.

I think that they are starting to do that. You hear GVSU 10 times more now than just Grand Valley...

I disagree. If Grand Valley gets big the name will be fine. The big thing is exposure and a sense of tradition with a university. Over time, the more the name floats into the mainstream, the more people will think it's some big university. The name is no worse off than University of California Los Angeles. Of course they go by UCLA, so maybe Grand Valley can make a name for itself and just go by the GVSU moniker officially like UCLA does.

Here is another example: Who has a larger enrollment: the University of Miami, Florida or Grand Valley State University? Answer: GVSU by about 6000+ students. But Miami of Florida has a Division I sports program w/ a football team that's won national championships, so people assume it's bigger than it really is. Without the sports, it's no more a household name than the University of Detroit.

So GVSU just needs to continue to grow. Find a niche where it can excel nationally and get some good recognition. Once it has that and grows a little "tradition" over two or three generations, it will seem like it's been a big school that has been around forever, and the name really won't matter.

Just a thought.

Unfortunately, the name "Western Michigan University" is already taken. I've sometimes wondered why WMU ended up in Kalamazoo. It would seem that Grand Rapids would have been the ideal location - it possesses a larger population, was lacking a large college or university (before GVSU), and is more centrally located in West Michigan. Anyone know why? Did WMU start out as a small, local college before morphing over time into the large university it is today?

Perhaps GVSU could become the University of West Michigan...

Well they can say "University of Grand Rapids" and "University of Grand Rapids - Allendale Campus." I think it would be a reversal of focus in the right direction. :shades: They'd just need to stick the Admin building into the Pew campus.

I've often thought that it would a good thing to see yet another university built in Grand Rapids. Some city leaders I've spoken with about it don't agree because universities wouldn't pay city taxes. -sigh- I feel that is just shortsighted.

There must be a study somewhere that talks about positive economic effects (incl. externalities) associated with new universities... anyone have any leads?

I personally think it would be a great adaptive reuse of the butterworth landfill, too. :whistling:

cf. http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry490302

and/or

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...27285&st=20

there is...... MSU med school and the new "official" cooley law school

p.s. 300th post :)

Here is another example: Who has a larger enrollment: the University of Miami, Florida or Grand Valley State University? Answer: GVSU by about 6000+ students. But Miami of Florida has a Division I sports program w/ a football team that's won national championships, so people assume it's bigger than it really is. Without the sports, it's no more a household name than the University of Detroit.
Speaking of that, GVSU is making a name for itself in sports, albeit at the Division II level. Several championships in football, women's basketball, and volleyball in recent years have helped it win the NACDA Director's Cup three straight years.

Unfortunately, the name "Western Michigan University" is already taken. I've sometimes wondered why WMU ended up in Kalamazoo. It would seem that Grand Rapids would have been the ideal location - it possesses a larger population, was lacking a large college or university (before GVSU), and is more centrally located in West Michigan. Anyone know why? Did WMU start out as a small, local college before morphing over time into the large university it is today?

Perhaps GVSU could become the University of West Michigan...

I believe that it started out as Western State Normal School then Western State Teachers College then Western Michigan College then finally in 1959 it became Western Michigan University. It started out as the "Hilltopers" then when the switched to Western State College they changed to the Broncos. Go Bronco's Class of 96'. :D

I am a student at GVSU currently.

I don't think they need to change the name or anything. It's a fairly "young" University that is growing rapidly and it's located in a growing area as well. I think all it needs is time. It's working its way up and as more alumni get out there, the university will gain more prestige.

As someone up above mentioned with Florida and Miami.... Sports are huge. I hope Grand Valley will go D-1, and I don't think they'll have a choice eventually. But don't look for it to happen any time soon. They'll have to build a new basketball arena, a new football stadium, give out loads more scholarships.... It would cost the University tons of money.

One of the guys from the athletic office management told me they don't want to do it for those reasons as well as some others. The football program is huge, volleyball is up there.... so maybe they could compete and do O.K. a few years into it, but you have to change ALL programs, not just the successful ones.

So what happens to the sports programs that are struggling in D-2? They'll really get their asses handed to them in D-1

Anyway... i think I just went on a ramble and got off topic... don't even know where I am. Time to stop :D

• 2 weeks later...

I believe they are also planning on constructing a new library somewhere on the Allendale Campus. Zumberger has an awful layout and is way out of date! Some are suspecting it will be justt north of Au Sauble Hall where the arboretum curerntly is.

It WILL NOT go where the arboretum is, it specifically says that this land is to be reserved for nature and no building will be erected there, GVSU did just buy a large plot of land by all the apartments :whistling:

I heard that too but they wouldn't build the library out there. They need something in the center of campus. There aren't any buildings old enough to tear down. Could they renovate the existing?

Archived