South Carolina's "Beautiful Places"

GvilleSC

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shot these about a month ago on the Fernwood Nature Trail in the City of Greenville. This place is incredibly preserved for being so centrally located in the city. Many of the trees are absolutely huge. A small creek trickles through the lush undergrowth, sometimes vanishing into narrow ravines. This place is impossible to descride or photograph adequately.

Fall2006_04.jpg

Fall2006_03.jpg

Fernwood_02.jpg

Excellent and beautiful photos, whitehourseview! That one of the VVV could be on a post card. :wub:

Here are a couple additional shots from the Fernwood Nature Trail in Greenville. Thease were taken this week. As you can see, some trees have already lost their leaves, while some are still brightly colorful. The leaves are falling rather rapidly however, so enjoy!

FernwoodFall.jpg

FernwooFall_02.jpg

The State newspaper reports today in its weekend section that a group of scientists who study rivers recently had an international conference in Columbia and toured the Three Rivers Greenway. One was from San Antonio, a city whose riverfront has been highly touted. He compared the two cities' riverfronts and said San Antonio's has been developed strictly with aesthetics in mind for the "near-river" cultural activities that take place there, whereas the Three Rivers Greenway "is much more multi-purpose." He called it a set of parks, a river restoration area, a historic preserve, a flood protection zone and a recreation zone.

Another scientist said that if he lived in Columbia he and his wife and children would always be riding bikes and walking up and down the river.

Another scientist who is from England said the greenway is "a terrific scheme that really opens up the river to the public and increases appreciation and awareness of the rivers and greenways."

The article did say that the scientists cringed when they saw the neighborhood next to New Orleans Restaurant and worry about run-off from parking and lawn fertilizer. We've talked about that on here and hope that will be the last of such developments.

For the most part, the greenway is destined to be a permanent natrual paradise enveloped within an urban setting.

Sonfaque, you got my two thumbs up for those shots! :thumbsup: Awesome, dude! I agree with Mike, SC has such a fantastic coast...we need more pictures showing the beaches, marshes, and wetlands of our beloved Lowcountry. I'd do it myself, if I had the time. Here's some advice, if you're getting married and a full-time graduate student with two jobs, be prepared to have little time for photoshooting. :D

Archived