South Carolina's "Beautiful Places"

GvilleSC

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, all of you, for posting these excellent and beautiful shots! I am a shutterbug, and need to upload some I have taken all over the state--I will do so soon.

Some of the pics got me thinking (uh-oh) . . . Rock Hill's dowtown is very nice, but where are the people? It is such an improvement from the "malled-in" version of years ago--wish they could do something to bring folks downtown to enjoy what they have done with the place. Are there any coffeehouses, pubs, bistros, etc. breathing some life into it? The last time I drove through I remember being surprised that, despite being a college town, you'd never know it from the empty downtown. Most commercial districts near colleges are alive with a fun and funky vibe. What gives, Rock Hill?

Also, "Cancer Survivor Park"? This gorgeous place deserves a better name. I must look for it tomorrow when in Greenville for T'giving. Thanks, Skyliner, for bringing it to my attention--you are a talented photographer! In fact, I'll have to look around some at the West End, etc. while exploring our Upstate gem of a city.

Thank you, Digital Sandlapper! Gsupstate posted the last shot of our Cancer Survivors Park. The name is not really unique to Greenville, as you can find them in various cities around the nation. There is a plan to renovate that park as a beautiful extention of Falls Park. Right now, there is a couple paths along a stream under nice tall trees, but little else of note. I wish you could see Greenville when the trees are loaded with leaves. It is inspiring to say the least! :shades:

Here is another photo from the "Enchanting Falls Park" series. The small building to the right is Falls Cottage, a historic structure that has been preserved as a quaint restaurant.

EnchantingFallsPark_03b.jpg

Some of the pics got me thinking (uh-oh) . . . Rock Hill's dowtown is very nice, but where are the people? It is such an improvement from the "malled-in" version of years ago--wish they could do something to bring folks downtown to enjoy what they have done with the place. Are there any coffeehouses, pubs, bistros, etc. breathing some life into it? The last time I drove through I remember being surprised that, despite being a college town, you'd never know it from the empty downtown. Most commercial districts near colleges are alive with a fun and funky vibe. What gives, Rock Hill?

Most of the downtown activity in Rock Hill is going to be on Main Street; City Hall is on Black Street, which is south of Main. I didn't really take any Main Street photos because I already took some that I just haven't uploaded to my photo hosting site yet, but I think I might need to take a new set anyway. But one of my gripes is that the city really doesn't tap into the college population as it should. There are some downtown events here and there, but nothing anywhere near how it should be. The redevelopment of the textile corridor has the potential to do this, but who knows when we'll see some real progress there? Next time there's an event downtown, I'll try to make sure I show the "busy" side of downtown Rock Hill. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

The fountain at River Place looking down to the Riverwalk and the Reedy. The Terrace at Riverplace construction to the left:

100_2266.jpg

The Peace Center for the Performing Arts complex (Peace Concert Hall) and the City Center as seen from the West End:

100_2267.jpg

The Peace Center for the Performing Arts complex (Gunter Theater) from the West End:

bw2.jpg

Zoom of the city center

bw1.jpg

The fountain at River Place looking down to the Riverwalk and the Reedy. The Terrace at Riverplace construction to the left:

100_2267.jpg

The Peace Center for the Performing Arts complex (Gunter Theater) from the West End:

%7Boption%7D

Zoom of the city center

%7Boption%7D

Nice photos, GvilleSC. :shades: I especially like this one of Peace Concert Hall's side. The fly tower is approximately as tall as a ten story building, but it doesn't detract from the surrounding skyline. It is a perfect place to watch Broadway shows and concerts, but you may want to bring a pair of opera glasses if you sit in the upper balcony. :thumbsup:

Archived