The history of our cities

krazeeboi

We all know that for a very long time, for most of the history of the state, Charleston overwhelmingly had dominance in SC. So when exactly did Columbia catch up and why? How and when did Greenville catch up? If I recall correctly, at one time Spartanburg was the center of influence in the Upstate, so how did Greenville surpass it? What about Florence and Myrtle Beach?

MYRTLE BEACH...

In 1900s, was originally called "New Town" by F. G. Burroughs', a Conway businessman, Conway & Seashore Railroad. The railroad made New Town easily accessible to people everywhere and so began the tourism business. It wasn't long before the town's name was changed to "Myrtle Beach" in honor the Sweet Myrtle Tree, a waxy shrub native to the area. (A contest among local residents to rename New Town, and, to no one's surprise, F. G. Burrough's wife was the winner!)

In 1925, Myrtle Beach gained the attention and respect of the "rich and famous." A wealthy textile magnate from Greenville built the Ocean Forest Hotel, with an enormous ballroom, elaborately decorated rooms, the coast's first golf course, horseback riding and tennis. It was a well-known "playground" for the wealthy until it was demolished in 1974.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I didn't know that tobacco played a prominent role in Florence's economic history.

Tobacco...definitely. My grandfather grew the stuff on 70 acres of land...I hated summertime!!! back then...because of all the work involved. However, from a social POV, it was a lot of fun meeting the neighbors in the annual barnyard supper that included the best tasting "chicken & rice" made by my late maternal grandfather...who died in his sleep on a Sunday morning, Dec 6, 1992 in Richland county at age 82...

P.S. I should note this was in 1970s when I was a kid & was sometimes allowed to drive the tractor since I proved to be a lousy tobacco picker...because of my fear of those horrible giant green worms that so made my skin crawl...

Archived