Google coming to Ann Arbor

PaintBy123s

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's good news, it seems like google is going for a downtown office.

Yeah, I'm just still worried about the parking downtown though that would support all of those employees. We are losing parking spaces by the hundreds every few years it seems like, and it's not like we are building more park and rides to bus people downtown. I heard a proposal though to add more levels to one of the ramps downtown. BTW, the ramp that was on 1st.... I love how they semi demolished it, and left some walls standing, and then just filled in the lower level with surface parking. It's sort of like the ruins of today. No longer buildings but parking structures. I should take pictures before they make any future modifications to it. I'm guess this half block parcel is up for sale maybe? It would sure make a nice spot for an new office building or residential highrise. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'd imagine soon. They have already moved into temporary offices in downtown. They are working feverishly on a permanant presence. I highly highly doubt the company would build any kind of office building though. Google is known for it's anti-stuff shirt mentality in it's facilities. Which are generally unconventional. I would imagine there AA presence won't be any different. I just hope they don't hop out to the suburbs.

• 2 months later...

Space near new Google office in Ann Arbor in demand, realtors say.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/in...st=newsmichigan

Looks like Google will have a nice ripple effect with their having employees downtown. It states they have a 4yr committment to their current building. I hope that their final plans include plans for DT AA.

• 3 weeks later...

McKinley Inc., the Ann Arbor real estate company that landed the deal to provide downtown office space for Google's advertising employees, cemented in place what may be another piece of a larger puzzle with the news Friday that it acquired Tally Hall and an adjacent vacant bank.

http://www.mlive.com/news/aanews/index.ssf....xml&coll=2

I'm having trouble placing the Tally Hall and vacant bank. Maybe you have a picture Ian?

Very interesting, I never knew it went underground I've seen the large glass entrances, but they have been covered up with paper for as long as I can remember.

I was in a hurry this morning, so I couldn't get a picture of the whole thing. But I'm sure many of you have seen it and get the gist. It's the tall red brick structure behind the Michigan Theater Retail building.

tallyhall.jpg

EDIT, btw Stellar, when did Jacobsons move out of the existing Borders building? I was just thinking about it when I walked past the old entrance beneath the parking structure. Also, does anybody know any other cities besides Saginaw that have the exact same design as Jacobsons (now Borders) did, where the store is partially beneath a parking structure that goes over the road?

EDIT, btw Stellar, when did Jacobsons move out of the existing Borders building? I was just thinking about it when I walked past the old entrance beneath the parking structure. Also, does anybody know any other cities besides Saginaw that have the exact same design as Jacobsons (now Borders) did, where the store is partially beneath a parking structure that goes over the road?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived