Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grasscat

CINCINNATI: Downtown...Race St.

Thank you. I try, at least. I'm moving closer to the center of the CBD now, so my next two threads (Vine St., Walnut St.) should be even better. I hope!

P.S> The shot of the highway may become a relic. With redevelopment of the riverfront, it will be capped (therefore creating a tunnel).

I like the historic buildings! A large number of them are streamline/art moderne, a very beautiful architectural style. I do find the lights intresting on the highway. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before? I guess that would be an excellent way of centering the light in the middle of the lanes! ;)

The lights have only been that way for maybe a year and a half. Before that, there was no "trench". The highway sucked because it had multiple entrances and exits off both sides, where you were taking your life into your own hands trying to enter there. Construction sucked, but it's much better now.

Wow!! Great pics! I don't usually think of Cincinatti as having a lot of historic architecture, but it does, & it's great to see that so much of it has been preserved.

Well, Cincinnati probably has the best set of old architecture in the entire Midwest.

Yeah, it's cool that everyone is on a "preservation and reuse" kick instead of a "tear down and rebuild" kick down here. The 1960s and 1970s weren't so good for anyone. We already lost a lot of cool stuff in the bulldozing of the West End, but Over-the-Rhine is widely recognized as the most-complete assembage of intact Italianate architecture in the entire nation. I plan on being there for the Opening Day parade, and I will offer those photos then.

Whatever, monsoon! Your Wilmington pics with a camera that's worth a damn puts my shizznit to shame.

No, there was no controversy behind Pete Rose Way. He grew up over in the Sedamsville area, along the river west of downtown. He went to Western Hills H.S. His felonies had to do with tax evasion type things. Non-baseball related.

I dunno...I don't deify Pete Rose like a lot of other people do. His street basically just runs through surface lots, anyway. I think that Pete Rose Way is going to be eliminated when The Banks gets built, too.

It will happen...um, eventually.

The supports for a "lid" have already been put in place when it was constructed, so no extra construction would be necessary as far as that goes.

The lid is part of the Banks plan, so as soon as that goes forward it should be done.