Cruise Ships in Providence?

Statesman

Exercise... Weightlifting at least three times per week also helps a lot, I started that a year ago. When you're burning over 1,500 calories per day just through exercise you can pretty much eat whatever you want and stay in shape, at least in my experience.

[Way off topic, but Recchia is making a good point, so I'll bite]

I've pretty much maintained my weight since college (a long time ago now) the same way, with combinations of cardiovascular (running, swimming, etc) and resistance (weightlifting) exercise. While I watch what I eat, as you can tell from the dining thread, I hardly deprive myself, but exercise keeps things in a steady range.

Everything Recchia says is pretty much true, especially for young adults (as you age, the diet thing will matter more as metabolism slows). There's some decent medical literature at this point that says that for weight loss, you just can't do it via exercise alone (it needs to be exercise with diet). However, once you've hit the desired weight range, exercise is fantastic for weight maintenance, and as Recchia says, some kind of resistance training that buildings muscle bulk (like weightlifting) will increase your energy use/metabolism, even when resting.

However, I don't recommend resistance training without equal cardiovascular training (there's some suggestion that resistance training without it is actually not good for your heart). If you're doing both, you'll be burning a lot of calories, and if you combine it with diet, you'll loose weight.

Despite the multi-zillion dollar industry that's built up around weight loss, it's really as simple as the above.

And I recommend aiming at about 1/2-1 lb per week weight loss at most for people. If my patients are loosing 2 lbs per month, I'm thrilled. That's about 25 lbs per year, 50 lbs in two years.

And people say, "In two years? That's a long time!" Well, yeah, but you're supposed to be talking about durable, lifelong changes in patterns. So 2 years isn't that long. And people's big problem is that they yo-yo, loosing 15 lbs in two months, go back to their previous patterns, regain it in 3 months, and are depressed again...

P.S. Alcohol is absolutely horrible for weight loss. Despite how I may come across on here, I really only get drunk once a week and its usually captain and diets or Miller Lites.

While Recchia is right that alcohol is miserable for weight loss, getting outright drunk (especially once a week) is never a good idea (sorry Recchia). You're probably much better off with moderate (1-2 drinks a day max for an adult male, 1 drink per day for an adult female) use than not drinking at all and having enough to "get drunk" once per week. That's taking a big hit on your liver, vasculature (veins, arteries), and heart, for starters.

- Garris

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just wish gym memberships weren't so freaking expensive.

Still off topic, but I had to chime in here. I looked around for a while to find a cheap gym membership, and I have to say that I succeeded. Bally's gym in EP, right off Newport Ave - I pay $22 a month, I joined with a friend. Then I had my fiance join, and they gave her a spouse membership for $16 a month. Pretty much unheard of....

looks like i need to start exercising... i don't eat terribly bad (not even 4000 calories a day, and certainly not 7000), but i don't eat all that well.

i wish it wasn't so hot. my fiancee and i decided we'd start walking a half hour everyday after work... but when 5 minutes of standing outside makes you sweat, walking doesn't seem like such a great idea. i should probably buy some sort of exercise machine or a gym membership (since my apartment isn't big enough for a machine). i just wish gym memberships weren't so freaking expensive.

Planet Fitness in Cranston (Behind gardon city across from the Davol/Citizens bldg) is only $15 a month with no contract. My wife goes there and likes it well enough. when she signed up it was only $10 a month. cheap.

Planet Fitness in Cranston (Behind gardon city across from the Davol/Citizens bldg) is only $15 a month with no contract. My wife goes there and likes it well enough. when she signed up it was only $10 a month. cheap.

i need a pool. whatchoo all got for good pools at a gym?

i need a pool. whatchoo all got for good pools at a gym?

The YMCA's (I know the East Side one has a pool) and the JCC have pools. Both will run you between 300-500 per year for individual membership, and probably 400-700 per year for family memberships, depending upon packages...

- Garris

The Pawtucket Y is incredible now. Not too crowded, all new cardio machines and all new weights, weight machines, etc. So glad I joined when it was only 25 bucks a month...

Is the rock gym for kids or every one?

• 1 month later...

Yes, it's American Cruise Lines serving Block Island, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket. They just announced a 5 year agreement to operate 3 ships out of Providence.

http://www.americancruiselines.com/

That's great!

Hopefully the service will be expanded to day trips to/from Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard so we can avoid having to drive out to Falmouth to catch the ferry.

That's great!

Hopefully the service will be expanded to day trips to/from Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard so we can avoid having to drive out to Falmouth to catch the ferry.

check out their schedules on the website. seems less like it's a day trip thing to bring people to the islands and more of one of those carnival type cruises, but covering less ground.

check out their schedules on the website. seems less like it's a day trip thing to bring people to the islands and more of one of those carnival type cruises, but covering less ground.

This is nothing like a Carnival-type cruise. The ships are incredibly tiny, and as a result onboard activities are limited. Also, you'll notice that these cruises stop at ports much more frequently and they also visit smaller ports.

This is nothing like a Carnival-type cruise. The ships are incredibly tiny, and as a result onboard activities are limited. Also, you'll notice that these cruises stop at ports much more frequently and they also visit smaller ports.

i meant as a cruise that you go on for several days as opposed to a ferry type cruise.

but yeah, the ships are really small.

i meant as a cruise that you go on for several days as opposed to a ferry type cruise.

but yeah, the ships are really small.

Ah, I understand now.

Anyways, does anyone know how tall the Newport and Jamestown bridges are? Those could be an obstacle if we ever want to see the large ships. For example, the Queen Mary 2 (236 feet tall) had to have it's smokestack modified in order to get under the Verrazano Bridge.

Ah, I understand now.

Anyways, does anyone know how tall the Newport and Jamestown bridges are? Those could be an obstacle if we ever want to see the large ships. For example, the Queen Mary 2 (236 feet tall) had to have it's smokestack modified in order to get under the Verrazano Bridge.

I believe that both the demolished and new Jamestown bridges each had/have 135' of vertical clearance and the Newport Bridge has 206' of vertical clearance.

I believe that both the demolished and new Jamestown bridges each had/have 135' of vertical clearance and the Newport Bridge has 206' of vertical clearance.

OK, most ships should fit under the Newport bridge. I know the ship I was on this summer (which was huge) was just over 200' tall, so it might make it.

Archived