Big Development in Portland (MI)

OneSweetWorld

I could never live in a small town either, myself, but I do enjoy visiting them all. You specifically said that you couldn't imagine why anyone would want to live there, and I could imagine many reasons. There is something intriguing about the slower pace of life they offer. Portland is also rather progressive for small towns, and has won Cool Cities grants for their downtown boardwalk they are looking to construct along the Grand River.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Small towns, but to be honest GR is about the perfect size for me. I could be wrong. I could just be so comfortable with it, because I know everyway to everywhere with my eyes closed and spun around.

Do you guys thing that Ionia County will start getting a little bit of a growth spurt given it's location directly between Lansing and GR?

I could never live in a small town either, myself, but I do enjoy visiting them all. You specifically said that you couldn't imagine why anyone would want to live there, and I could imagine many reasons. There is something intriguing about the slower pace of life they offer. Portland is also rather progressive for small towns, and has won Cool Cities grants for their downtown boardwalk they are looking to construct along the Grand River.

Yes, I can agree somewhat, but a lot of the earlier posts on this were that people had to drive either to GR or Lansing for a job, so it's not even supporting the local workforce. Not to mention that the media outlets are all split. Like I said, feeling like the Bermuda Triangle out there?

Just my own personal tastes I guess.

All this bickering if Portland is in Metro GR can stop in 10-15 years. The SE side of the Metro will expand. In that time Metro Grand Rapids will have encroached on the 131 corridor south all the way to K'zoo and then be at the door steps of Charlotte. Don't be too suprised if you see a MDOT project enroute from the southbelt to far SE of the region. I think then soon you'll see a Dallas-Fort Worth Scenario -- scary isn't it?

BTW it is in Metro GR.

we've established this Brent, everyone knows it's in GR's metro. But the southeast corner of Ionia County lies closer to Lansing. That was all my question was. Do people from Portland prefer GR or Lansing for work and play. It was kind of answered, I liken it to the southeast corner of Allegan County Being much closer to Kzoo, but still in GR metro,

Well, as for my experience with the younger Charlottens and a few people that live near Portland, they prefer -- get this-- to drive through Lansing (The charlottens) and head down 96 to GR. Talk about waste of gas when Lansing has a heck of a lot of stuff to do also.

My personal experience with Charlotte residents have been different. But, the quickest way, if you want to get to GR, is to drive back towards Lansing and loop around. There is no direct connection to 96 from Charlotte, and you'd probably use up just as much gas (if not more) trying to go along the backroads north to 96, and you'd take longer. MJLO, who said Portland is in Metro GR?

I keep telling thoes kids and my girl that if your low on gas M50 is perfect. M50 takes you right into the SE. You can speed all you like as thoes that live along the ride don't really care, besides most of it is treelined backwoods or cornfields. As far as I know the two connecting roads my girl takes knocks off like 20 minutes without having to take the beltway around Lansing.

Anyways, not to purposely stray off topic, but when I toured through Portland I was throuroughly impressed. I was more struck by the growth that appeared to be there.

Yeah, just about any of the small cities along the Grand River, are really nice. Like Eaton Rapids, it is bisected by two rivers which makes for a very interesting downtown landscape.

BTW, Portland's Chamber of Commerce deams Portland as "Portland, Mid-Michigan, USA."

My personal experience with Charlotte residents have been different. But, the quickest way, if you want to get to GR, is to drive back towards Lansing and loop around. There is no direct connection to 96 from Charlotte, and you'd probably use up just as much gas (if not more) trying to go along the backroads north to 96, and you'd take longer. MJLO, who said Portland is in Metro GR?

Lmich, whoever defines metropolitan areas said Portland was in metro GR. But ONLY because it sits within the borders of Ionia county which is blanketly placed with the Grand Rapids - Wyoming MSA. The only point I was trying to make was that, even though its "technically" in Metro GR, I would imagine that it benefits a great deal more from Lansing's economy.

Yeah, just about any of the small cities along the Grand River, are really nice. Like Eaton Rapids, it is bisected by two rivers which makes for a very interesting downtown landscape.

BTW, Portland's Chamber of Commerce deams Portland as "Portland, Mid-Michigan, USA."

I'm sorry, but Eaton Rapids is a dump. Growing up near Holt, we even thought Eaton Rapids kids were a bunch of hillbillies. There was even a joke about Eaton Rapids' girls and chewing tobacco, but I can't remember how it goes. It's downtown is pretty much dead, although it does have some very interesting old mills, and the island park is pretty cool (except for the drunken rednecks on weekends :D ).

• 1 year later...
I'm sorry, but Eaton Rapids is a dump. Growing up near Holt, we even thought Eaton Rapids kids were a bunch of hillbillies. There was even a joke about Eaton Rapids' girls and chewing tobacco, but I can't remember how it goes. It's downtown is pretty much dead, although it does have some very interesting old mills, and the island park is pretty cool (except for the drunken rednecks on weekends :D ).

Is it just my impression, or do most Michigan small towns seem less wealthy than their counterparts in Ohio or Indiana? My gut is that the country towns in the Buckeye and Hoosier states benefitted from the better agricultural base in those states. Michigan small towns, especially north of GR, always seemed a little scraggly to me. They look more like Western small towns than prosperous Corn Belt burgs.

I'm not sure about that. Most small cities and towns in the southern part of the state, and specifically the southeast, are very well put together. But, I definitely would expect the further north ones goes for the towns to get more remote and rustic. That seems pretty obvious, but the towns in the southern part of the state are just as nice as any on the other side of the border.

Go check out this thread to see the villages and towns of Southeast Michigan.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry828211

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I would totally agree with that Lmich - - The smaller towns and burbs around the D are fantastic. There are many small towns on or near the water on the west side that are downright beautiful - Leland, New Buffalo, Frankfort, etc. There are many northern Michigan towns NOT on the water that have maintained their stately presence - i.e., Cadillac, Alma, Gaylord, etc. I would agree that due to the high density of trees in the northern Michigan area, the crop boom never - uh, boomed. Because of this, the pupulations there tend to be more spread out amongst the forests versus having a city of 6,000 and then miles and miles of farmland. Are some of the northern Michigan cities paying now for missing the agriculture bus?? Maybe, but it all depends on how you look at it. I would rather live in an area that has never been to its pinnacle instead of a shell of a former great burg now crippled by the rust belt.

Archived