Nashville/Murfreesboro Mass Transit

Justiceham

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great. Any of those options would work, preferably the commuter rail, which would probably be cheapest and most efficient. Murfreesboro should definately be the next place that the Music City Star should go. They could also do the BRT, but I think it would cost more, and wouldn't get commuters to Nashville as quickly.

I think the Murfressboro line of a possible rail system should be more than just commuter rail at it's inception. There is alot of potential for constant activity with both the population that Murfressboro boasts and the fact that it has the largest University in the state there.

If Nashville plans to ever take mass transit seriously, now is the time, and the 'boro is the place. Commuter rail would be viable, yet I feel that in 10 years it would be inadequate. The southeast portion of our rail needs to be a light-rail, MARTA style, fast, efficient and SERIOUS system. Part of the reason that people don't believe in the Music City Star is because of the limited service. If you get off of work early, "sorry , next train is in 3 hours" will not work for people. "Next train is in 20 min." will work for people. Let's also consider the 25+ thousand students of MTSU. Many of them(myself included) reverse commute from Nashville giving good reason for heavy traffic. Additionally, service to the airport is a must(which commuter rail couldn't do). Why spend $44 million improving the airport if it is not going to be any easier to travel to/from?

Southeast Nashville contiues to be the fastest growing area of our MSA and should be respected as such. The "recent" expansion of I-24 to 4 lanes all the way to Murfreesboro is already over crowded. Try it at 7am, it is gridlocked daily all the way to Sam Ridley Pkwy. Sadly, it is already in need of another HUGE expansion. Why not lighten the load on the road system and invest in the rails. SERIOUS RAILS!

Yes, this would take alot of money, time, and lobbying from the state and federal gov't, but in the long run it is the only option that makes sense!

I like what they've done on the freeways in LA, where they have the rail lines running through the medians of the interstate so during rush hour you see how much faster mass transit would have been.

Lol, great free marketing and less problems with rights of way!! You'd just have to figure out what to do when you got into the city and there were no more median...

I think the Murfressboro line of a possible rail system should be more than just commuter rail at it's inception. There is alot of potential for constant activity with both the population that Murfressboro boasts and the fact that it has the largest University in the state there.

When did MTSU officially overtake UTK in size? I remember back when I was in college at UTC reading an article that projected it happening a few years after 2000.

Edited by flith

When did MTSU officially overtake UTK in size? I remember back when I was in college at UTC reading an article that projected it happening a few years after 2000.

I think it was 2001 or somewhere around that time. I'll look it up a bit later and get back to you.

EDIT: Oh crud, I guess I got my announcements mixed up. MTSU is the largest UNDERGRAD institution in the state, UTK is still the largest school (more grad students). My apologies on that one. I still think my point stands on the potential of students to use a light rail line, esp. since only 15% live on campus!!!

Here's the Wikipedia article on the school

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Tennes...tate_University

Edited by frankliner