Movies made in Charlotte

voyager12

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I loved "Nell" :) I tried to talk like her for weeks after I saw the movie, no wonder people thought I was a weird child :lol:

Chick-o-pee.

Hey, I just saw Talladega Nights, and thought I could I.D. East Meck HS, Garinger, Quaker Steak and Lube, Harris Blvd, Concord hospital. Can anyone verify? add to the list? I'm dying to figure out what the residential street was where Ricky Bobby was smashing the parked cars along the side of the road. It was kind of NoDa-ish. Also, what was the hotel where his father was staying when he ordered the pizza.

Any ideas?

i'm pretty sure the car scene took place up around the mt. holly area because my co-worker said that a road up there was blocked off for the film and some car chase/scene? was being filmed on it... i haven't seen the film yet so i'm not sure if thats the same part of the movie

I think some of Taledega Nights was filmed in Gaston County (gastonia and some other places) as well, it was in the Gazette.

Don't forget the Jodie Foster movie "Nell"

She grew up in the mountains only knowing her mother and sister. The press finds out about her life of isolation and it turns into a circus.

Most of the movie was filmed in the NC mountains...the rest in Charlotte. There are several skyline shots.

I remeber this, there was a Day's Inn that they stayed at as well (they mention it by name I think it was the one on North Tryon)

I don't think the school scene (Career Day) was in Mecklenburg County. I think most of it was in Gaston County. But you are right, the "Pit Stop" was Quaker Steak and Lube. I'd like to know where the bar scene was and which Applebees they were kicked out of. Any ideas?

There are 3 films being filmed in Charlotte suburbs in SC. In Rock Hill you have 2 films being shot...Asylum which will be filmed at Winthrop I believe. The plot line is something about a girls dormitory that turns out to be an old asylum. The second is called Death Sentence which will have Kevin Bacon. It will be filmed not only in Rock Hill but also across the Midlands. The third is some comedy being made in Chester or Lancaster I believe called Patriotville.

Alright kids, don't forget Richie Rich. One Wachovia Center was used as Rich Enterprises.

"Filmed (almost) entirely on location at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina," courtesy of IMDB.com.

That building was Two Prudential Plaza in Chicago.

There are 3 films being filmed in Charlotte suburbs in SC. In Rock Hill you have 2 films being shot...Asylum which will be filmed at Winthrop I believe. The plot line is something about a girls dormitory that turns out to be an old asylum. The second is called Death Sentence which will have Kevin Bacon. It will be filmed not only in Rock Hill but also across the Midlands. The third is some comedy being made in Chester or Lancaster I believe called Patriotville.

There is also a film called Third Miracles about to begin filming in Charlotte with Cuba Gooding Jr.

Probe was way ahead of its time, like Max Headroom was. Both were scheulded Thursdays at 8 during the peak of The Cosby Show's popularity, so it was quickly dismissed. It had an X-Files like feel to it with the science vs. supernatural storylines.

I had just moved from Charlotte to New Jersey when it aired, so I hate that I missed that. For some reason I remember Parker Steven's character ate frozen peas straight from the freezer.

Here is a pretty througugh list of movies filmed in Charlotte. I barely remember Stroker's Ace (filmed at Charlotte/Lowes MS) and From the Hip (with several scenes of mid-80s Uptown).

........but I think I remember seeing NC plates on the cars in the movie.

Yep, towards the end of the movie.

Its funny because when i watched the movie for the first time (a bit intoxicated i may add), the movie shots were familar and i was like " No way....... CHARLOTTE????? NORTH CAROLINA??? " and further and further through the movie, i noticed the jeep Hal was driving had the Blue NC inspection-emissions sticker and no license plate in the front. Then of course, i saw the city skyline shots and knew THAT WAS CHARLOTTE.

Great posts by everyone btw, a lot of questions i would of asked have been answered by everyone :)

I do have one question, just out curiosity, they were filmed at a gas station between Charlotte and the mountains.... does anyone know where that took place? city/county location please if anyone knows

I picked up the latest Charlotte Magazine at the airport this afternoon and there is an article in there called "Big City, Bright Lights" which discusses Charlotte's movie history. They have a rundown of all the major films shot in Charlotte or the suburbs. Here it is in chronological order...

Stroker Ace (1983 - Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson)

The Color Purple (1985 - Whoopi Goldberg and Danny Glover)

Sherman's March (1986)

From the Hip (1987 - Judd Nelson)

Days of Thunder (1990 - Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, and Robert Duvall)

29th Street (1991)

Nell (1996 - Jodie Foster and Liam Neeson)

Eddie (1996 - Whoopi Goldberg)

Black Dog (1998 - Patrick Swayze and Meat Loaf)

Body Count (1998 - David Caruso and Linda Fiorentino)

The Rage: Carrie 2 (1999 - Emily Bergl)

The Original Kings of Comedy (2000 - too many to name)

Shallow Hal (2001 - Jack Black, Gweneth Paltrow, and Jason Alexander)

Juwanna Mann (2002)

3: The Dale Earnhardt Story (2004)

Talledega Nights (2006 - Will Ferrel, John C. Reilly, and Sacha Barton Cohen)

• 1 year later...

Archived