Why not consider a Savannah surburb the site of a water/theme park?

Savboy08

I guess thats what Savannah is doing now, because the crime is so bad. A few years ago, I think Savannah was the murder capitol in the US for a year or two. Its rediculous. My first time driving on Victory Drive (because I was lost), the road was blocked with a person lying in a pool of blood in it and cops everywhere. I try not to use that road anymore, but even going to the clubs on bay street, there always seems to be a shooting right when everyone gets out into the streets. I think if Savannah can fix that problem, it will start seeing a lot of people coming back into the urban core because people want to live in Savannah, they are just afraid to.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a serious issue that Savannah needs to address. Almost every discussion I've had with people concerning Savannah, it's come down to crime. Of all the times I've been to Atlanta I've never felt uncomfortable (well except for once when I took the Marta train to East Point, but oh well) but last time I was in Savannah I got kind of freaked out--and that was just off Bay Street. They need to do something down there.

Ive been shot at more than once on Bay Street, but not me personally, mainly the crowd I was in. Its scary and Im surprised the tourists keep coming because they are usually the ones going to those types of clubs. Its so chaotic when the clubs get out, but not as much as Athens was the night GSU played them in 2004. I was sincerely scared that some redneck would jump out of his truck and beat me up in my car.

Savannah is funny though because everyone drinks and drives. My first time driving to Savannah to visit a club, I was in a 20-something vehicle accident on MLK on my way back to I-16. It was mainly a side-swipe that evolved into a very long line of fender benders. Everyone had stopped but someone from way back there hit and you could hear the thumping get louder and louder until the car behind us hit and pushed us into the car in front of us. With my luck, we hit the last car, so they had the most damage, and even more lucky, they were ghetto-fabulous and very confrontational. After getting out of the car and threatening to kill me right then, and Im sure they were going to, the passenger remembered they had drugs in the car, so they suddenly apologised and left. The car behind me didnt want to call the cops since they were drunk, and most of the other cars were too, so we all agreed to leave. It was funny, because a ton of drunk people got out of their cars and looked so confused and dizzy. I was thinking, "these people are driving?"

Ive realized there is always a wreck on MLK at 3am-ish. So I avoid it. I just take Hwy 80 to 516 then 16 and I avoid a lot of traffic too. Im just scared of that ghetto traffic, they all look at you like they want to shoot you.

Ive been shot at more than once on Bay Street, but not me personally, mainly the crowd I was in. Its scary and Im surprised the tourists keep coming because they are usually the ones going to those types of clubs. Its so chaotic when the clubs get out, but not as much as Athens was the night GSU played them in 2004. I was sincerely scared that some redneck would jump out of his truck and beat me up in my car.

Savannah is funny though because everyone drinks and drives. My first time driving to Savannah to visit a club, I was in a 20-something vehicle accident on MLK on my way back to I-16. It was mainly a side-swipe that evolved into a very long line of fender benders. Everyone had stopped but someone from way back there hit and you could hear the thumping get louder and louder until the car behind us hit and pushed us into the car in front of us. With my luck, we hit the last car, so they had the most damage, and even more lucky, they were ghetto-fabulous and very confrontational. After getting out of the car and threatening to kill me right then, and Im sure they were going to, the passenger remembered they had drugs in the car, so they suddenly apologised and left. The car behind me didnt want to call the cops since they were drunk, and most of the other cars were too, so we all agreed to leave. It was funny, because a ton of drunk people got out of their cars and looked so confused and dizzy. I was thinking, "these people are driving?"

Ive realized there is always a wreck on MLK at 3am-ish. So I avoid it. I just take Hwy 80 to 516 then 16 and I avoid a lot of traffic too. Im just scared of that ghetto traffic, they all look at you like they want to shoot you.

Maybe Savannah is Georgia's most ghetto fabulous 2nd tier city lol.(not really a laughing matter though)

^ Savannah is much scarier than Augusta. We are ghettofabulous in the AUG though~ :yahoo:

It would be nice if Savannah was just "fabulous" instead of ghettofabulous, then we might have a good chance at real prosperity and success, but I guess tourist(and outsiders) think that we are more fabulous than the other 2nd tier Ga. cities.(And in an awful lot of cases,even Atlanta, though I don't why)

Savannah is "fabulous" which is why people from all over the world come there. One of the prettiest cities I've ever seen. Except for the Masters, no one takes vacations to Augusta just to come here. Same with every other city in Georgia, including Atlanta. Savannah is different and that's a good thing.

• 10 months later...

Its about time the topic of a theme park comes back to savannah, Im thinking that savannah has the support of all the hotel rooms along I-95 ...... The 3 locations a theme park would fit right in are, the mega site - in pooler or soon as you cross the border of SC, into GA - have the theme park in port wentworth, becasue its the gateway exit to downtown savannah, so the 6.28 million people that visit each year can stay in the area and visit downtown and stay at the theme park for the kids one day! ... or the 3rd site - on jimmy deloach parkway.......... I really think savannah is ready for a theme park, and sure the people of the area can support it - but then you also have the I-95 travelers and Savannah visitiors..... dont forget that the downtown visitors generated more then 1 billion dollars in revenue for the city of savannah! :thumbsup:

Archived