385 N Orange(Livingston & Orange SE Corner)

chgochris

Agenda/Staff Report out from July MPB

Says this building will be 25 stories which we knew. 7 Story Parking Garage, and what looks like 5 office floors and 13 residential

Height 345 ft

148 Residential Units

85,000 Sq ft office space

There is a great rendering in it that shows what it would look like against the Courthouse looking north on Orange from Robinson, but I don't know how to put it in here.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly don't the design at all, look pretty nice with that tall backing facing I-4, gives it a good architectual look to it

My gripe is and will always be in the Orlando forums, it is too damn short!!!

I'm not asking for Sears Tower height but another 10 floors would give it some kind of nce of the skyline and erase the stubbiness of it

I know we have all ed and moaned concerning the FAA issues in the past (an entire thread devoted to it) but for god sake, if VUE can hit 35 floors, why not this?

Just 10 more floors and what a sight it would be

It looks like they have gone out of their way to make this thing look like they cut the top half off. Great job on getting the renderings, though.

At 345', why not add the other 100' and end everybody's suffering? It would look better. It has promise as is...

385norange21cf.jpg

This doesn't look like it is to scale. It gives you an idea of where it will be, but I think 345' is much taller than this drawing is making it out to be. I think if it was perfectly modeled to match the surrounding, the 'stubbiness' factor would be reduced.

This doesn't look like it is to scale. It gives you an idea of where it will be, but I think 345' is much taller than this drawing is making it out to be. I think if it was perfectly modeled to match the surrounding, the 'stubbiness' factor would be reduced.

Maybe this is another situation of actually being 245' instead of 345'(like the Dolives 287' and 187'). It is after all on 7 stories of parking garage with 13 residential floors and only 5 floors being office

Maybe this is another situation of actually being 245' instead of 345'(like the Dolives 287' and 187'). It is after all on 7 stories of parking garage with 13 residential floors and only 5 floors being office

I actually believe this one to be 345-feet tall since it will be 25-stories tall and feature an ornamental crown extending an additional 4-5 stories above the roof. The makeup of this building is very much like that of Dynetech Centre, which is to be 32-stories tall and 367-feet.

I actually believe this one to be 345-feet tall since it will be 25-stories tall and feature an ornamental crown extending an additional 4-5 stories above the roof. The makeup of this building is very much like that of Dynetech Centre, which is to be 32-stories tall and 367-feet.

I hope so. While we are on the subject of buildings being shorter then designs say, are we sure the Vue will be 420 something. Its looks as if they have maybe 11 floors left, and with 11 floors or so to go it doesn't look as if it will be as tall as the Courthouse.

I don't know, I just think that developers here are scared of the voodoo of the FAA

Don't forget, the original Pizzuit design of the cubes skyscraper was going to come in somewhere around 40-45 floors and it had to be modified to something shorter

I'm personally convinced that's why it never got built

I remember the news stories about the redesign and it bothered me a lot

I know that we all have an opinion on whether or not there is an absolute FAA limit in town of 40 floors, god knows we have debated in the thread til we almost passed out

But if there really is something behind the scenes that specifically says we cannot build beyond 40 floors, then I say milk what you can

If there is enough demand left for yet another residential high rise in downtown, milk it up to 35-38 floors

If the VUE and TT are willing to push that envelope, the others should be willing to do so also

If the Solaire had lines of people going around the block when the sales center opened to take deposits/reservations as it was, I am personally shocked the developers didn't meet and say "hey, the demand is there, lets modify and increase the units, maybe 10 more floors"

Plus, according to Kuhn, he pretty much has the office towers of PTP booked solid

Imagine if Solaire was 10 more floors and each office tower was 5 additional floors also

Imagine if 55W was actually able to get the 37 floors we all thought they would have to go to last year

I don't know if SunTrust conspires to continue being to the focal point of the skyline or not but I would really haved loved to see things just a little bit taller

This new 385 N. Orange is a perfect example of what could be if the developer said to hell with it, let's make an impact and add a few more floors

Maybe you guys are right, perhaps the actual literal perspective of the building when built will look taller and this rendering is not accurate

I'm sorry, I just get frustrated sometimes when some of the buildings get to be so short that Godzilla himself wouldn't waste his time stomping them

Downtown will still look much better than before, I can sleep with that in mind

Blech!! I just threw up in my mouth. Its like the Magic Mall knock off version of Espirito Santo (which I love). I pay very little attention to these cartoons, but in my mind if you can't take the time to properly render the building in its natural surroundings dont even try. I would have excpected a better presentation to a governing body, however, they'll pretty much vote on anything from BBarch so who cares? Right? For whatever its worth, for height, think of it as the Solaire fronting Magnolia (not exactly, for discussion purposes).

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. This kind of creap drawing is pretty typical for a building in DD. I think the backhalf is an afterthought at this point and I would expect that a better drawing is pretty close to being finished.

Til' then...Blech!! There I go again.

I hope so. While we are on the subject of buildings being shorter then designs say, are we sure the Vue will be 420 something. Its looks as if they have maybe 11 floors left, and with 11 floors or so to go it doesn't look as if it will be as tall as the Courthouse.

The OC Courthouse is also on higher ground than The Vue, so you have to take that into consideration. It may only be around 10-15 feet, but that's like adding another floor.

I agree, I wish this building was taller.

I come on this site everyday, praying that some developer will have the fortitude to combat the FAA or Suntrust or whatever legislation that gives the height restriction.

I can only brag about density to my friends for so long. We need a big building.

I don't mind this building, its going into a bare area and I think the rendering is a little off. I'm sure there will be revisions and IF it ever gets built hopefully this one will tack on a few floors... breaking the current trend of hacking some off.

as long as these newer short proposals don't eat up all future tenants thwarting future taller proposals...

coming down I-4 from WP, the Vue alone is adding so much density. this will have a huge impact, even at that height (or lack thereof) and with its current design. It will create a nice cluster. And there's still the 400 North project to consider. It will be one of many of that similar height. Dynetech will also add to that cluster, but from the south side of it... Dynetech and Dolive.

That is the "butt-ugliest" thing I've ever seen. What a disgrace. Let's hope this one dies on the vine.

I don't know, I just think that developers here are scared of the voodoo of the FAA

Don't forget, the original Pizzuit design of the cubes skyscraper was going to come in somewhere around 40-45 floors and it had to be modified to something shorter

I'm personally convinced that's why it never got built

I remember the news stories about the redesign and it bothered me a lot

I know that we all have an opinion on whether or not there is an absolute FAA limit in town of 40 floors, god knows we have debated in the thread til we almost passed out

But if there really is something behind the scenes that specifically says we cannot build beyond 40 floors, then I say milk what you can

One little thing regarding the FAA and height limits. I know it was asserted here that the FAA's influence extends basically to giving or not giving a certain designation that insurers use to decide whether or not to insure the building. But if memory serves me correctly, back in 1987 when the Sun Bank building was in the final planning stages, the FAA filed a lawsuit and they spent a year in court over it. That sounds like a little more influence than just signing off on something.

Also, regarding the height of shorter buildings, especially commercial office towers, I think that has a lot to do with the current local office market and the square footage they realistically think they can keep leased out, which in turn effects how much money lenders are willing to lend for the project which of course in turn affects the building's height. I don't think developers ONLY take into account how pleasing the building will look.

Archived