385 N Orange(Livingston & Orange SE Corner)

chgochris

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wally, there is already something taller than suntrust being proposed, did you forget about City Place?

I remember CityPlace quite well and I'm proud of that

All that I'm saying in my tirade is there should be more consistency with these buildings, that's all

If CityPlace developers are willing to push the envelope a bit, why can't these people in this case

I'm not asking for anything extraordinary just maybe 10 more floors

The unique architecture of the side of this building facing I-4 is awesome and another 10 floors will potentially give it an iconic look to the skyline

With regard to CityPlace, the fact that it's on the other side of I-4 and several blocks further up might allow it to go higher in terms of floor count

I just strongly believe that if demand for a high-rise is there, be it residential or commercial, should be milked for every floor they can get within any perceived height restrictions that exist

If your going to bother building it in the 1st place and the demand is there, make it count, don't just throw something there, give it a chance to add greater density to an area that has some density to begin with

That is the "butt-ugliest" thing I've ever seen. What a disgrace. Let's hope this one dies on the vine.

One little thing regarding the FAA and height limits. I know it was asserted here that the FAA's influence extends basically to giving or not giving a certain designation that insurers use to decide whether or not to insure the building. But if memory serves me correctly, back in 1987 when the Sun Bank building was in the final planning stages, the FAA filed a lawsuit and they spent a year in court over it. That sounds like a little more influence than just signing off on something.

I did not know that about Sun Bank. very interesting. I wonder if something similar went down with DuPont when that was being planned.

Actually, I first saw the plans for the Orange Co. Cthse. back in the early nineties in an architecture magazine at UF. the height was supposed to be 525' or something similar.

This kind of thing makes me puke a little, too. And the Miami envy that has been mentioned in several of the preceding posts is starting to get out of control in this town. It makes me want to go hug that Heritage Square statue of the Florida cracker wrasslin' the alligator. At least it celebrates something authentic.

The windowless, unlined, multi-story concrete parking base: Orlando's contribution to world architecture.

This kind of thing makes me puke a little, too. And the Miami envy that has been mentioned in several of the preceding posts is starting to get out of control in this town. It makes me want to go hug that Heritage Square statue of the Florida cracker wrasslin' the alligator. At least it celebrates something authentic.

The windowless, unlined, multi-story concrete parking base: Orlando's contribution to world architecture.

Sad, but true. You know Phoenix might give Orlando a run for its money regarding the parking pedestal, though. Dynetech and this building both look like robots to me.

Thank you... that garage is U-G-L-Y. Granted, it's still in the concept stage but c'mon. Retail, closet space, faux windows, something. Hell, even an interesting design in the facade would make it look better.

BTW, I definitely don't have Miami envy. :wacko:

Dis-gust-ing.

I'm with you here...

This is one of the most uninspired bbarch designs (it is bbarch, right?) I've seen to date. And their stuff is typically pretty uninspired!

What is it with all of the Visor-type roof decor!? Is this mandated or something? Oh well -- it is better than nothing and it is pretty tall for that area.

I'm sure it will change over the next few months, anyways.

One little thing regarding the FAA and height limits. I know it was asserted here that the FAA's influence extends basically to giving or not giving a certain designation that insurers use to decide whether or not to insure the building. But if memory serves me correctly, back in 1987 when the Sun Bank building was in the final planning stages, the FAA filed a lawsuit and they spent a year in court over it. That sounds like a little more influence than just signing off on something.

Any lawyers frequent these boards that might want to solicit developmeners to take on the FAA pro bono if it were to come up? ;)

Looking at how this bulidng is oriented, the western facade (which is the most palatable of the four) is facing the Bank of America building and will not be fully visible from I-4. Not to say that everything should be, but this design is a living abortion.

I'm with you here...

This is one of the most uninspired bbarch designs (it is bbarch, right?) I've seen to date. And their stuff is typically pretty uninspired!

What is it with all of the Visor-type roof decor!? Is this mandated or something? Oh well -- it is better than nothing and it is pretty tall for that area.

I'm sure it will change over the next few months, anyways.

Well, look at it this way:

The visor will be facing I-4 and, at least according to the renderings, will be taller than the rest of the structure

Drivers on I-4, especially them folks not from around here, might be impressed with the look of the visor

I think it will have a great impact on the skyline, could help add some unique look depth

But I agree with you and the rest, both height and rest of the design is "sucks" at best

You know, I went off on several tirades in earlier posts on this thread this week with my beotching based on the height, not so much the appearance

I agree with all of you, Orlando developers are not exaclty pushing the envelope when it comes down to unique architecture as they are in Miami for whatever reason

Regardless of how I feel about this building, a building is a building no matter how hideous and I do believe it will add some much needed density on that block that will greatly benefit more than harm

Do you all think we can live with this so long as we get the density we all seem to want?

I'm personally a little torn on this

Problem with Miami's 'unique architecture' is that, IMO, most of the more distinctive designs are being cancelled.

Conversely, Orlando more than holds its own in terms of design and in the pallete one can envisage when the skyline rounds out.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived