Rhode Island's Best Driving Roads...

Garris

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Route 101 (Hartford Pike)

Nice drive into CT... Hills, mills (Dayville), and Olde New England Village style scenery. Also, it takes you over the highest point in RI! The road is in decent shape and the police don't seem to bust balls.

This road seamlessly joins Route 44 W, which takes you to 74 W and eventually I-84 W into Hartford. If you have to go there, this is the way I recommend. 95 to 9 is longer and very boring.

I like Rte. 12 by the Reservoir in the fall. That route has some of the best foliage in the area.

???

44 gets incredibly busy near 295.

Yea, the smithfield crossing just made things worse. During rush hour, the traffic from 295 all the way into centerdale is bad.

But back to best driving roads, I really like route 6 up hartford ave toward scituate and all the way toward 395 south to CT. Ive never seen more than 5 cars around me and it has a lot of straightaways.

I definitely have to say Rt-169 & Rt. 49, both in Connecticut. Route 169 is a national scenic route.

I don't think this is a bad topic at all for an urbanism-minded website. The more urban development we see, and the less sprawl, the more backroads there will be to explore.

Of course, the fact that I think RI's best driving roads are in CT shows you what I think of the sprawl situation in this state.

I definitely have to say Rt-169 & Rt. 49, both in Connecticut. Route 169 is a national scenic route.

I don't think this is a bad topic at all for an urbanism-minded website. The more urban development we see, and the less sprawl, the more backroads there will be to explore.

Of course, the fact that I think RI's best driving roads are in CT shows you what I think of the sprawl situation in this state.

i don't think it's so much the sprawl that's the issue here, i think it's more the fact that this state is really freaking tiny.

along the shore, you have beaches and their associated sprawl, which is nearly impossible to avoid (although they're actually not so much sprawled as just crowded wtih tourists, driving down there is much nicer in late spring and early fall). then there's the areas around providence, which aside from providence and pawtucket, sprawl has taken over nearly completely (and warwick seems to enjoy it somehow). and then the east bay doesn't have much land to begin with. that leaves northern and western RI, which is practically MA or CT anyways.

i should've mentioned i like driving on route 126 through lincoln. there's some nice views through there.

Well, my comment about the sprawl was a little exaggerated.

Still, I look at places like Rt 2 through North Kingstown & Exeter, Rt-138 through Richmond, Rt-7 through Smithfield. These used to be rather light with development & traffic. Now, although they're not as bad as just about anyplace in Warwick, they're still much worse than they used to be.

Sprawl isn't the issue with everyplace in RI, but it is definitely an issue in certain places.

Well, my comment about the sprawl was a little exaggerated.

Still, I look at places like Rt 2 through North Kingstown & Exeter, Rt-138 through Richmond, Rt-7 through Smithfield. These used to be rather light with development & traffic. Now, although they're not as bad as just about anyplace in Warwick, they're still much worse than they used to be.

Sprawl isn't the issue with everyplace in RI, but it is definitely an issue in certain places.

if you go all the way up rt 7 to 146, its not a bad trip if you drive that for a while, also i don't know the road but little compton, by the water is an amazing drive, it was the nicest drive i have ever been on.

i don't know the road but little compton, by the water is an amazing drive, it was the nicest drive i have ever been on.

Do you mean Main Road, Rt 77, which runs from Tiverton down to Little Compton? Yes it is a nice road. I think there's a winery somewhere down there. And be sure to visit Little Compton Commons.

Do you mean Main Road, Rt 77, which runs from Tiverton down to Little Compton? Yes it is a nice road. I think there's a winery somewhere down there. And be sure to visit Little Compton Commons.

Yea it runs into Tiverton, they have a nice sandwich shop, a gold course/driving range, and there is a mini pier I guess you could say, it is really nice. And if you feel like driving its a better way to go into Newport.

One other good driving road if you like fall foliage (am I bringing up foilage drives too soon? ;) ) would take Rt 102 south from N. Smthfield, alll the way down until it intersects Rt. 12. Follow Rt 12 east around the Scituate Reservoir until you hit Knightsville in Cranston where you can finish off your afternoon drive with a great Italian dinner! :D

• 1 year later...

Archived