Is anyone tired of strip malls being called something "town center"

NcSc74

I noticed today there is yet another "town centre" (Union Cross Town Centre) in the works at I-40 and Union Cross Rd, near the Dell plant. This is definately a far cry from being named for the family that owned this land. Just more traffic for an already "outdated" stretch of I-40.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed today there is yet another "town centre" (Union Cross Town Centre) in the works at I-40 and Union Cross Rd, near the Dell plant. This is definately a far cry from being named for the family that owned this land. Just more traffic for an already "outdated" stretch of I-40.

:angry: If you tell me there is an Outback or a Ruby Tuesdays going up in the parcel then I will.... :sick:

All developments should by General Statute, be required to be named after the family farms and plantations they oblitered when they were built, like say Midway out US 64. But a plaque with a detailed history of the land dating back to the original land grant must also be erected on the site (histories will converge of course) so that societies short memory can be reminded of what has been lost :cry:

I dont think developers care. Honestly, I doubt most people really care.

I hated to see Holly Hill Mall become Colonial Mall, and then now Burlington Square Mall...because the Holly Hill name meant something. But beyond that-a store or mall by anyother name is still a store or mall. People will come because of the content, not the name.

That's interesting. How close is it to the existing shopping center at that exit?

One of them is on the N.E. corner of the interchange,it looks like it might be behind the Food Lion? If you are traveling down I-40 west, you will see the sign advertising the "town centre" on the right just before the exit ramp. There is also another proposed strip mall (unsure of the name) in a field just before Glenn High School.

One of them is on the N.E. corner of the interchange,it looks like it might be behind the Food Lion? If you are traveling down I-40 west, you will see the sign advertising the "town centre" on the right just before the exit ramp. There is also another proposed strip mall (unsure of the name) in a field just before Glenn High School.

The Union Cross Town Centre is actually zoned for mixed-use, but the other strip-mall is going to be named, you guessed it, "The Shoppes at Glenn Crossing".

It is marketing, everything is made to sound as attractive and desireable as possible. I see nothing wrong with strip malls, however they are named. Maybe they aren't a real town, but they serve a purpose. Just because elitist left wingers bent on social engineering don't like them, doesn't mean they are bad. It IS possible to have a successful downtown with or without malls or strips.

True, they are pretty trees until a storm (thunder, wind, or ice) comes thru and splits them in two. Of course, the trees of the moments are Crepe Myrtles, River Birch, and Zelkova's.

Very true!

I have a question. What is the future going to look like? There will be no hardwoods left. When is the last time you saw someone (other than me) plant an oak tree?

Cheap buildings(strip malls), cheap trees...= ugly future

Very true!

I have a question. What is the future going to look like? There will be no hardwoods left. When is the last time you saw someone (other than me) plant an oak tree?

Cheap buildings(strip malls), cheap trees...= ugly future

Well, let's see with global warming eventually all the trees will die which will be a boon for the strip mall developers. See, then there will be little clearing work to be done on the rest of the property available here in NC so we'll have "Town Centers" everywhere.

:shok:

It is marketing, everything is made to sound as attractive and desireable as possible. I see nothing wrong with strip malls, however they are named. Maybe they aren't a real town, but they serve a purpose. Just because elitist left wingers bent on social engineering don't like them, doesn't mean they are bad. It IS possible to have a successful downtown with or without malls or strips.
Its called sustainability, Uni. We all end up paying the price for cheap developments when they fall out of fashion, void of tenants, and sit derelict on the sides of High Point Rd, Independence Blvd, Peters Creek Pkwy, and Tunnel Rd. They cease to produce taxes, yet drain the budgets of cities due to becoming magnets for crime ("meet me behind the abandoned ________") and bring down the property values of land surrounding them. Nothing left-wing about it.

Archived