Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DigitalSky

Myrtle Beach getting its own NBC affiliate

33 posts in this topic

It looks like Raycom (owners of WIS-TV 10, Columbia's NBC affiliate AND WECT-TV 6 Wilmington's NBC affiliate) are starting up a NBC station for Myrtle Beach/Florence, a market that currently is without an NBC affiliate. Currently NBC is available from Columbia in all of the market on cable, and in parts of the market WECT 6 or WCBD (Channel 2 from Charleston) are also available. With WMBF Channel 32 signing on the air (with a construction permit/test pattern currently) viewers will no longer have to tune to NBC out of market. It's unclear however as to when exactly this station will go online.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WMBF

That doesn't suprise me at all. The Pee Dee needs its own NBC affiliate :)

LOL. Back in the dark days when Myrtle Beach did not have cable, WECT 6 was the station that could be received with an antenna.

It is evitable WIS and-or WECT will be removed at least in Pawleys Island because they are distant stations for its cable lineup (i vote WECT first before WIS solely because its not a South Carolina NBC station). I do believe even after a Myrtle Beach NBC station appears for the Grand Strand, WCBD (or for that matter most/any Chas station) will remain on the line up because Georgetown County is currently part of the Charleston DMA so it will be interesting what BS Nielson will do with Georgetown County. Ive always felt the Georgetown and Horry County portions of the Grand Strand should be its own county but thats another thread of its own to be started.

As much as i hate to see the distant stations be removed from the cable lineups, the Florence-Myrtle Beach-Lumberton market does need a NBC affilate. WECT does ok for Lumberton and Myrtle Beach, WIS is good for Florence and WCBD is good for Georgetown and the county in proper.

I thought Myrtle Beach already had an NBC affiliate of their own.

With much growth in Florence and Myrtle Beach in recent decades, they are worthy enough of having a small television market. Other stations and affiliates should follow within a few years.

I think that they used to have one, but it left the area for some reason.

The Myrtle Beach-Florence Market has never had its own NBC affiliate. Currently, "WIS Florence" which is Columbia's WIS-TV is the NBC affiliate by default for the area, with some shows not airing on cable so they don't compete with WBTW and WPDE.

If WECT and WIS are carrying WX+, WMBF-DT is pretty likely to have it I would say...

If Channel 32 has that kind of coverage, it will only benefit the immediate Myrtle Beach area because the outer lying areas of the contour map will not take away many of the long time terresterial tv viewers watching WIS, WECT and WCBD. Of course, when you have DirectTV or DishNetwork, then it does not matter if WMBF has a transmitter period! WMBF and WILM are alike in common with poor coverage areas and in areas that lack one major network!

They would probably have to have another transmistter in Florence.

Yeah they may do a Low-power translator in Florence or nothing at all, seeing as Florence can apparently recieve WIS fine.

WMBF's coverage area over the air though is far greater than WILM-LP's

^WMBF is better, your right, but i personally couldnt go as far as saying

Is this going to take Columbia's NBC's place? Why does the area get Columbia news anyway?

Is this going to take Columbia's NBC's place? Why does the area get Columbia news anyway?

It doesn't except on cable. Myrtle Beach is way too far away to pick up WIS via an antenna. The area's default NBC affiliate has always been WECT 6 in Fayetteville, not WIS, 10 in Columbia. Runner up would be WCBD channel 2 in Charleston.

Is this going to take Columbia's NBC's place?

Yes. It will take the place of WECT and WIS on most cable systems in the Designated Market Area, seeing as the station is owned by the same people who own WIS and WECT. As for WCBD's continued carriage in parts of the market, I predict they'll remain.

As for WCBD's continued carriage in parts of the market, I predict they'll remain.

The city of Georgetown will never lose all of their Charleston stations

Signing on tomorrow... WMBF, will be on Channel 10 cable replacing WIS, and over-the-air DT32.

wmbf.jpg

My mom lives in the Pee Dee, and has been watching and loving WIS for decades. She is VERY upset about this change, as are many other viewers in the region. She has years invested in getting to know the WIS personalities, and loves so many of them dearly. This is like a daily visit from a friend who is now moving away. Y'all just don't know how upsetting this is going to be for the folks like her that are of a "certain age".

At least The State newspaper hasn't discontinued distribution in the Pee Dee (yet) like they did on the Grand Strand. That would be the last straw for my poor mom! :ph34r:

I thought that Florence or MB had an NBC station that was just dropped a few years back.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the cable system in Myrtle Beach has carried WIS or WCBD for a very long time. (they used to). I don't know about digital, but it is possible to pick up WCBD with a very good antenna in Myrtle Beach, but WIS is simply impossible. WECT has long been the NBC affiliate for Myrtle Beach and I suspect that most people there will miss that one.

It should be interesting to note that for a while the Myrtle Beach cable system, (back when it was Cox Cable) used to carry the NBC affiliate out of Charlotte. This happened due to a quirk that occurred when NBC moved from 9 to 36 in the late 1970s though this kind of thing was not unusual then. Around this time, the Charlotte cable system used to carry the CBS affiliate, WSPA out of Spartanburg.

My mom lives in the Pee Dee, and has been watching and loving WIS for decades. She is VERY upset about this change, as are many other viewers in the region. She has years invested in getting to know the WIS personalities, and loves so many of them dearly. This is like a daily visit from a friend who is now moving away. Y'all just don't know how upsetting this is going to be for the folks like her that are of a "certain age".

At least The State newspaper hasn't discontinued distribution in the Pee Dee (yet) like they did on the Grand Strand. That would be the last straw for my poor mom! :ph34r:

I might be wrong, but I don't think the cable system in Myrtle Beach has carried WIS or WCBD for a very long time. (they used to). I don't know about digital, but it is possible to pick up WCBD with a very good antenna in Myrtle Beach, but WIS is simply impossible. WECT has long been the NBC affiliate for Myrtle Beach and I suspect that most people there will miss that one.

Ahh, I did not realize that WIS was still available until this change. Columbia is 120 miles from Myrtle Beach so this is probably a good move in terms of getting better coverage. Of the two, I would have preferred WCBD over WIS.