New highrise development -- 28 stories in Uptown

Clobber

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/real_e...4840336,00.html

Pretty f'in cool. Earlier this week there was discussion about whether the Vue would happen or not, and the CCC mentioned that if the current plans fall through, they are going to reopen the site for bidding or something like that (if anyone has the source, I could be wrong). So even if the Vue doesn't happen, hopefully a highrise emerges from it anyway. If the Uptown highrise comes through, hell, that's what, the fifth planned new high-rise development? Vue, Horizon Towers, One Beale is supposed to be 28 stories as well, right? For some reason this article mentioned that the Uptown tower would be the tallest since Morgan Keegan. Hope the design is good; the development seems unique in its accomodation of the Catholic mission. Not being Christian myself, I still think that's a unique and somewhat innovative strategy and hope that theme works. I just hope it doesn't lead to too much of a conservative design. Let's get a crown of some sort, can we?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who aren't familiar with the location, it is directly to the east of the Marriott Convention Center Hotel. The article seems to imply that the development will be built next to the church, rather than tearing the chruch down. Looking at the site on GoogleEarth, it appears to be a tight squeeze...maybe they are going to wrap the buildings around the church?

Regardless, this is exciting news. Let's hope it gets moving quickly and doesn't turn into another 2-3 year tease like The Vue.

wow...if i was only awake just a bit more right now, I could be a bit more insightful...I hope this happens and adds to the stretch of condo towers beginning to emerge downtown...i hope this has a spire like Morgan Keegan...maybe with a spire it would make it the new tallest...

Maybe a spire to evoke the steeple of a church!

Vue, Horizon Towers, One Beale is supposed to be 28 stories as well, right? For some reason this article mentioned that the Uptown tower would be the tallest since Morgan Keegan. Hope the design is good; the development seems unique in its accomodation of the Catholic mission.

1 Beale and Vue combined height of 185 meters

I thought they would be taller but thats cool anyway. I don't think 90 meter highrises would transform a skyline but add to it instead.

Pretty f'in cool. Earlier this week there was discussion about whether the Vue would happen or not, and the CCC mentioned that if the current plans fall through, they are going to reopen the site for bidding or something like that (if anyone has the source, I could be wrong). So even if the Vue doesn't happen, hopefully a highrise emerges from it anyway. If the Uptown highrise comes through, hell, that's what, the fifth planned new high-rise development? Vue, Horizon Towers, One Beale is supposed to be 28 stories as well, right? For some reason this article mentioned that the Uptown tower would be the tallest since Morgan Keegan. Hope the design is good; the development seems unique in its accomodation of the Catholic mission. Not being Christian myself, I still think that's a unique and somewhat innovative strategy and hope that theme works. I just hope it doesn't lead to too much of a conservative design. Let's get a crown of some sort, can we?

I'm really hoping something comes of this. It's high time a new highrise is constructed in Memphis.

Hey this is awesome! It is going to be right across the street from me, although I won't be here to see it even begun, lol. I live at Uptown Square, along with a ton of other St. Jude employees. I read the developers hope to attract many St. Jude employees, especially with the large expansion we are undergoing. Trust me, this won't be a problem at all. Many of us who live at uptown square are happy with the location, I really like the fact that I walk to work in 5 minutes and save a ton on gas, but I wish there were somewhere else more upscale to live just as close. I especially don't like the constant bug problems we have, which cannot be permanently corrected in a building so old. They could also probably attract many other St. Jude employees who mostly live on Mud Island or way out in Germantown, Bartlett, Cordova, etc. I can't wait to come back in a couple of years and see this under construction or finished!

I did like the design of the Vue, and I really hope it goes through or some other skyscraper goes up there. What would be really cool is if all the towers are built at the same time. :shades:

Yes, the Vue's design was nice, but let's hope this tower in uptown is a little more daring.

Question is, what historical structures of importance are near the site? Will this tower mimic that structure somewhat, keeping with the postmodern style (a la Morgan Keegan -> Lincoln American Tower)?

We need another postmodern tower.

Lincoln-American is postmodern ?
I had to laugh at that one too. Maybe Post-Modern is anything after Victoria died. :rofl:

If you would've known a little something about postmodern architecture maybe you would've understood my explanation of how Morgan Keegan tower slightly mimics Lincoln American tower. :P

Archived