Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheGerbil

Hot Metal Bridge hit speed bump but on track

20 posts in this topic

http://post-gazette.com/pg/06194/705541-53.stm

Just this morning I was wondering when work on the Hot Metal Bridge pedestrian/bike trail would start. Then I saw this article. Apparently bids came in over the estimate, and more funding had to be secured. But it's on track and work is expected to begin in late August. I can't wait for this. Too bad it may take until the end of next year to finish.

Something tells me they are stalling to see what becomes of the Mon-Valley Expressway proposal. It will directly impact the path of both the Eliza Furnace bike trail and the Hot-Metal Bridge connector. I went to a meeting months ago fro the community about the that section of the MVE. the bike trail was a big topic. There was also talk of moving it to the riverfront along the Tech Center and Second Avenue rather than between the parkway. They will need that space for connectors to the MVE.

I wish they would rethink that scissor back ramp on the South Side and have a long sloping path, more integrated with the landscaping. The one on Washington's landing is awkward

I wish they would rethink that scissor back ramp on the South Side and have a long sloping path, more integrated with the landscaping. The one on Washington's landing is awkward

I think the second AE building and the hotel will be in the way of any larger ramp.

I think the second AE building and the hotel will be in the way of any larger ramp.

The bridge is really not very high

oh well

and on that area;

Don't the 2 two-way roads with the large grassy landscaped median, right now only listed as Water Street, seem redundant? Wouldn't it be better if each roadway were two lanes heading in each direction. The 2 lanes of the northern roadway would both head West and the 2 lanes of the southern portion head East, perhaps allowing for on street parking in off hours. Perhaps extending both westward a bit, passing under the Burmingham Bridge and meeting with Wharton/Merriman Streets. This would alleviate some of the ever growing traffic snarls of Carson. It could be set up with stops at each intersection and no trucks to acknowledge the residential feel but still alleviate some of the traffic problems. It would also promote riverfront development beyond the borders of the South Side Works.

Just a thought

Outside of the SSW the train tracks are no longer covered up (that's what's under the grassy median). And they move much closer to the river. So it would be next to impossible to countinue the boulevard street down river further without eliminating the river front park and trails. There are also alot of large buildings in the way.

As for why they are both 2 way, I'm not sure. I guess its so that there can be seperate traffic going to the shopping and the planned office/hotel/condos

Something tells me they are stalling to see what becomes of the Mon-Valley Expressway proposal. It will directly impact the path of both the Eliza Furnace bike trail and the Hot-Metal Bridge connector. I went to a meeting months ago fro the community about the that section of the MVE. the bike trail was a big topic. There was also talk of moving it to the riverfront along the Tech Center and Second Avenue rather than between the parkway. They will need that space for connectors to the MVE.

Moving the trail or the expressway? I definitely don't think there is room for the expressway between the Tech center and the river, but perhaps the trail.

No, sorry, I was referring only to the bike trail moving to the water front, freeing up space along the freeway for ramps and connectors. It makes sense that the trail would be along the riverfront anyway.

I'd like it if the trail was moved to the riverfront. I think they should do that regardless of the Mon-Fay.

the heritage trail website shows a second riverfront trail along the riverfront starting at the tech center and following the abandoned train tracks down to the duck hollow trail. I would hope they wouldn't get ride of the Eliza Furnace Train since it goes into town.

The current trail will stay even if the Mon-Fayette is built. The Hot Metal Pedestrian Bridge will connect to the current trail and there are plans to replace the trail bridge above Bates street.

the heritage trail website shows a second riverfront trail along the riverfront starting at the tech center and following the abandoned train tracks down to the duck hollow trail. I would hope they wouldn't get ride of the Eliza Furnace Train since it goes into town.

I definitely wouldn't want them to get rid of the eliza furnace trail. I'd just like to see something along the river on the norther side where the tech center is. Right now there is a path for a little ways and then nothing, so you can't even walk from one end of the tech center to the other without going through parking lots.

I believe the hopes are that a trail will placed along the river through the Tech Center and will eventually connect to what will be the new greening of the Mon Wharf and to Point State Park. They are having a hard time finding the room for all the ramps that will be the Mon Val Exp. and accomodate the Eliza Trail. Any changes would be a long way off.

Anyone no the progress of the park proposed for the Mon Wharf?

I see this week there are construction signs on Second Ave & Hot Metal St but I haven't noticed anyone really doing any work. Anyone know if those are for this project or is it for something else?

It could be the bridge ramps, or it could be the new American Eagle Building...hopefully its both! I'm very excited to see how the AE building shapes up.

Last Friday some guys in hard hats were taking measurements of the bridge. Presumably they are about to start work! :)

Based on what I have seen (driving over and beside), the work on the bridge has started.

Awesome! I can't wait to use it. My friends from the Quantum building will be really happy about getting back and forth between work and school :)

Just thought you would all like to know that they are currently scraping off the paint. :)