Business Owners?

Any here have their own businesses? I think that this could be a good forum for us to maybe 'advertise' our businesses and build on some networking opportunities. However, I am not sure what the board heads think of this.

I do know that the people here would definitely find this as a valuable resource.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any here have their own businesses? I think that this could be a good forum for us to maybe 'advertise' our businesses and build on some networking opportunities. However, I am not sure what the board heads think of this.

I do know that the people here would definitely find this as a valuable resource.

Please read our rules. We do not allow advertisements without the consent of an administrator. There is a legitiment reason for this. This site is ~90% supported on advertisements, the rest on subscriptions. Some of the advertisers for this site advertise exclusively. Why should one company pay to advertise and support this site while another can be free to post an advertisement inside the forum?

If any business owner would like to advertise on UrbanPlanet.org we have the ability to only show your ad at the top, bottom, or both and you can advertise in as many forums as you want. You can advertise in the GR Coffee House or the entire GR section of the site. You may also advertise on the entire site should you so desire.

If anyone is interested in advertising opportunities you are free to contact me using the "Contact Us" link at the upper right hand corner of the site.

i would go to any business that a member here has, as long as they are selling something I could use.

whats your biz, super?

I am not really talking about 'advertising' per se (notice the quotes). More like getting the word out about local business - in particular those that are owned by forumers. I do not see where this would be a huge violation of the rules. More like helping eachother out a little bit.

Hell, if that was the case, we would not be able to discuss local companies at all like Steelcase or meijer for instance.

whats your biz, super?

Have to wait until we get permission. Don't want to break the rule - been there and it is not fun.

I am not really talking about 'advertising' per se (notice the quotes). More like getting the word out about local business - in particular those that are owned by forumers. I do not see where this would be a huge violation of the rules. More like helping eachother out a little bit.

Hell, if that was the case, we would not be able to discuss local companies at all like Steelcase or meijer for instance.

I understand however I want to give exclusivity to any business who chooses to advertise on our site. We want to maximize the investment they make in advertising with us by not making it hard on them to compete with someone who gets free advertising by enclosing it into their posts. There are instances where I have approved free advertising for a company. One notable example is for the Grand Rapids Business Journal promotion where members of UrbanPlanet.org could get a few months free.

On a side note I have contemplated in the past having an area for members to suggest companies for various things. I do believe there is a draw to this sort of thing and it would help both ends, the prospective customer and the business.

I do want everyone to know that 100% of the money taken in by UrbanPlanet.org has been put back into the site. I and no one else here has ever taken a paycheck and any income produced goes back to expenses of running the company (software, server leases, etc.). Companies who choose to advertise on this site are not only gaining a great audience but are also helping to support this site by ensuring software and hardware upgrades, enhancements, etc.

I greatly appreciate what you do here. I also appreciate the advertisers. Thank you for the response.

On a side note I have contemplated in the past having an area for members to suggest companies for various things. I do believe there is a draw to this sort of thing and it would help both ends, the prospective customer and the business.
Let me know when something like this kicks off. I too think that it could be a very beneficial area of the site to all involved. Perhaps screening new additions to eliminate a conflict of interest? But that may prove to be too much overhead.

Whatever, you are boss.

ive got a pretty sweet idea for a biz, but dont have the finances to make it a reality

Look for some. There are various Angel funding groups around the area that could help - if your idea is good enough. It requires a lot of work though.

I understand however I want to give exclusivity to any business who chooses to advertise on our site. We want to maximize the investment they make in advertising with us by not making it hard on them to compete with someone who gets free advertising by enclosing it into their posts. There are instances where I have approved free advertising for a company. One notable example is for the Grand Rapids Business Journal promotion where members of UrbanPlanet.org could get a few months free.

I do want everyone to know that 100% of the money taken in by UrbanPlanet.org has been put back into the site. I and no one else here has ever taken a paycheck and any income produced goes back to expenses of running the company (software, server leases, etc.). Companies who choose to advertise on this site are not only gaining a great audience but are also helping to support this site by ensuring software and hardware upgrades, enhancements, etc.

Wow, Neo. You sure are hot! Love your portrait.

Archived