Providence Tomorrow

Cotuit

I think we have to accept that some will not be convinced of the benefits of dense urban development.

I really think that part of the problem is that the East Side is basically Providence's wealthy suburb. Barrington could be considered but it is almost like an exurb or something. Regardless, if I were drawing comparisons:

Providence:East Side, Barrington

Boston:Newton, Wellesley, Weston, Milton, et al

Philadelphia:Radnor, Gladwyne, et al

Basically the point is that the East Side is not an urban upscale neighborhood like Boston's Back Bay or Philly's Society Hill. It's a plce where wealthy people have gone to escape the city "problems" while also being close to it. Whether portions of the East Side should be more urban is obviously up for debate, and I think it should. However I can easily see the area roughly bounded by Hope St., Blackstone Blvd. and Angell as inappropriate for urban development at this point. however the WSNA goes all the way out to Rochambeau or something, doesn't it? I guess what I'm saying is that I can see why people living down on Cole St. think any urban development is inappropriate. I also think those people should have little to no bearing on what happens in the area bounded by Gano, the river, and Angell.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Providence:East Side

Boston:Newton

How about:

Providence:East Side

Boston:Brookline

Convince the people on the East Side they should be more like Brookline, sure parts of it will remain leafy and bucolic, just like southwestern Brookline, but parts need to be urban, just like Coolidge Corner and Brookline Village.

And this all probably needs to be moved to another thread.

I'm all for density, as long as it is in the appropriate place. How to tell what is "appropriate"? Is there a bus line along the street? Is the street wide enough to handle XXX additional people living on it? Based on this criteria, Wayland Square would not be the place for more density whilst Elmwood Ave. could handle more.

I'm all for density, as long as it is in the appropriate place. How to tell what is "appropriate"? Is there a bus line along the street? Is the street wide enough to handle XXX additional people living on it? Based on this criteria, Wayland Square would not be the place for more density whilst Elmwood Ave. could handle more.

I don't understand what the width of the street should have to do with anything. Wayland certainly has the busline capacity, if only RIPTA could afford to run more frequent service.

I don't understand what the width of the street should have to do with anything. Wayland certainly has the busline capacity, if only RIPTA could afford to run more frequent service.

What are talking about here? I'm thinking that the highest a building should be in Wayland Square is 3-4 stories. What is your thinking? Where will you put all of the new residents' cars?

Wayland Ave. and its surrounding streets don't have the capacity to handle additional traffic. Remember, there are new residential projects being constructed at the Gibbs site and down in Richmond Square. It remains to be seen what their impact on the Square will be.

And I think we know that we cannot count on RIPTA to add anything, sadly.

What are talking about here? I'm thinking that the highest a building should be in Wayland Square is 3-4 stories.

I wouldn't automatically rule out 5 or 6 floors where appropriate. No one's looking to change Wayland Square into Westminster Street, but it is one of the city's retail and residential hubs. It makes sense to have a concentration of people living there.

The traffic in the Wayland section of town can be better managed with better coordination of streetlights and better wayfinding in the area. A couple people who don't know where they are can throw off the entire traffic system. A bypass connecting Power Street to East Side Market and Butler Ave. could also keep a lot of through traffic out of the square itself.

And I wouldn't count RIPTA out yet.

Any update on a location for Friday?

I was thinking about that. I was going to suggest we just meet in Waterplace Park, now they're saying that tropical storm might be here Friday.

Anyone have any preferences? We could do old standby, Trinity.

I was thinking about that. I was going to suggest we just meet in Waterplace Park, now they're saying that tropical storm might be here Friday.

Anyone have any preferences? We could do old standby, Trinity.

possible thunderstorms for friday... trinity works for me assuming i'm given permission to go...

What are talking about here? I'm thinking that the highest a building should be in Wayland Square is 3-4 stories. What is your thinking? Where will you put all of the new residents' cars?

Wayland Ave. and its surrounding streets don't have the capacity to handle additional traffic. Remember, there are new residential projects being constructed at the Gibbs site and down in Richmond Square. It remains to be seen what their impact on the Square will be.

And I think we know that we cannot count on RIPTA to add anything, sadly.

The proposal in Richmond Square is currently a crappy gated community. I doubt it will have a significant impact on what happens in Wayland Square proper.

for purposes of traffic let's talk about the area bonded by Gano, Angell, Hunter, and Pitman. Waterman and Wayland form a cross in the middle of this grid. There are other side streets but they are unimportant to my point. the way lights are programmed, you *cannot* go from one end of this grid to the other in any direction at any time of day (alright maybe in the middle of the night, if they've changed things) weithout stopping. And most of the time you have to stop twice. If you are stopped at Gano/Pitman, you might make Gano/Waterman but you have no chance to make Gano/Angell. If you are coming down Waterman you will stop at Gano, Wayland, and Hunter. Every time. It's stupid. (this means I obviously agree with Cotuit)

Coordinate those lights to make Angell and Waterman more useful to move traffic through (since I would estimate 70-80% of peak traffic to be going to/from the red bridge) and Wayland wouldn't have any traffic problems. There is quite a delay approaching Angell on Hunter, but that's people trying to cut off downtown highway traffic, which will hopefully be improved somewhat with the I-Way.

And RIPTA will run more if there are more people to take the bus.

As for parking, it's probably reasonable to ask that developments include parking for residents. Surface parking that doesn't front the on the street is ok in Wayland Square I think.

The question of demand would, I think, be much more salient.

Edited by brick

I like the idea of meetin in Waterplace, it'd be nice to be outside if the weather's not terrible. Are we saying 5:30 still?

i could do 5:30 if it includes food somewhere (or i supposed i could bring food to waterplace, like a picnic of sorts... she might go for that :P )

I like the idea of meetin in Waterplace, it'd be nice to be outside if the weather's not terrible.

I thought it would be nice too, but I didn't invite Beryl:

strm2_strike_720x486.jpg

Are we saying 5:30 still?

Well, I get out of work at 1pm, but for those who don't have such a fabulous work schedule, we'll make it for after 5pm.

I'm totally out in space this week, it's Wednesday already, I thought it was Tuesday all day! :blink:

I guess we should nail this down.

Friday, July 21st, 5:00pm at Trinity Brewhouse.

As I said, I get out of work at 1pm, if anyone cares to meet earlier, let me know, but we'll set it officially as 5:00pm.

I'm totally out in space this week, it's Wednesday already, I thought it was Tuesday all day! :blink:

I guess we should nail this down.

Friday, July 21st, 5:00pm at Trinity Brewhouse.

As I said, I get out of work at 1pm, if anyone cares to meet earlier, let me know, but we'll set it officially as 5:00pm.

i might wander in sometime after 5 (like closer to 5:30) if the fiancee doesn't want me at home... and i might be joined by her as well.