Louisiana attractions

dimebag1980

I posted something in another thread on another board and it gave me the idea to start this thread. Let's use this as a place to post about attractions in Louisiana that some of us in other areas of the state or country may not know about.

I'll start with the American Rose Center:

If you ever have a chance to stop off I-20 in Greenwood, LA (west Shreveport suburb just across the Texas line) you should stop into the American Rose Center, which is home to the American Rose Society and is the nation's largest park dedicated to roses. It truly is a sight to see... I should get out there soon and take some pictures myself.

A little info:

http://www.ars.org/

http://www.ars.org/ARC/gardens_open.htm

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Brian, Sorry. I meant to tell you a few weeks ago on HGTV they showed the American Rose Center. It was really nice. This couple that moved to Shreveport could not believe they bought such a nice house for the $ money they spent. They were moving away from one of the most expensive places... San Francisco. Makes me feel even better I live in an area were there is a lower-cost of living.

Hey Brian, Sorry. I meant to tell you a few weeks ago on HGTV they showed the American Rose Center. It was really nice. This couple that moved to Shreveport could not believe they bought such a nice house for the $ money they spent. They were moving away from one of the most expensive places... San Francisco. Makes me feel even better I live in an area were there is a lower-cost of living.

Hey man, thanks for posting this. I knew that segment was to be filmed, but I'd forgotten all about it. Hopefully I'll be able to catch a re-run sometime.

I'm really surprised no one has been interested in posting one of their city's best attractions in this thread. :dontknow:

I'm really surprised no one has been interested in posting one of their city's best attractions in this thread. :dontknow:

Oops, sorry man, I had never even seen this thread. :shades:

But yea, New Orleans best attraction? Pretty much everything about the city apart from the crime, poverty, and corruption, IMO.

Oops, sorry man, I had never even seen this thread. :shades:

But yea, New Orleans best attraction? Pretty much everything about the city apart from the crime, poverty, and corruption, IMO.

Definitely, but if I had to list one for New Orleans, I'd say the Audubon Zoo.

Definitely, but if I had to list one for New Orleans, I'd say the Audubon Zoo.

I guess it's just what your interested in really. When you think about attractions in New Orleans like this, you really start to get an idea of just how much New Orleans has to do and to see.

• 3 weeks later...

WaterTown USA - The Beach Within Reach! :D

http://www.watertownusa.com

Shreveport-Bossier's only water park aside from some water slides at city pools and a few spray parks. WaterTown adds an attraction every few years to keep people coming and they're a huge success during this time of year.

Two negatives I've always seen to WaterTown are: (1) the large water slides look extremely old... the paint isn't touched up regularly, and (2) the tree line along I-20 at WaterTown's property needs to either be taken out completely or thinned out. You just can't see much of the park from I-20 and that's a shame. Paint the slides and clear out some trees, and I truly believe those two things will work wonders for your park. Of course people who are just passing through on I-20 aren't going to stop in, but people staying for the weekend in the hotels would love to have another attraction... if only they knew about it!

U.S.S. KIDD & Vetrans Memorial

http://www.usskidd.com/

Very nice addition!

I was actually out today taking photos at an exotic cat sanctuary and a chimpanzee sanctuary, both just south of the city. When I stopped at a truck stop to get gas and use the bathroom, I was looking through all the Louisiana postcards, and among them were a shot of the Baton Rouge riverfront and downtown area. There was also a postcard specifically for the USS Kidd, which was very nice as well.

Thanks Brian. I think we got the ball rollin' on this thread. This is a good idea for a topic. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bryde for posting. I am ashamed of myself for never going to Alligator Bayou tour. Beautiful area along with Spanish Lake and Bluff Swamp. They should make that area a nature preserve. It kind of already seems like it is.

Brian, while you were in Jamaica, were you able to go to Dunn's River Falls ? That was a cool place.

I could have gone but didn't. I couldn't stand to ride from the resort to downtown in the cab without fearing for my life, let alone driving a couple of hours (or however far it was) to the Falls. :) Besides not only were the roads bad, but out driver, "Johnny Be Good" was a total lunatic. We were in Montego Bay, at Sandals Resort.

You are right about all the lunatic drivers. We had to ride an hour and 20 min. up the northcoast with one. :wacko: There were some tense moments.

Our guy kept telling us how much he hates Americans because we're all so high-and-mighty and dishonest. Being in his country, I wasn't about to start anything. I just listened to him quietly, and then said, "But we're not from American, we're from Louisiana." He asked me where Louisiana was and I said right next to Texas. Busted! He said he KNOWS Texas is in America, because most people judge their knowledge of America based off Texas. I've heard the Japanese are very into Texas culture as well. Weird.

Creole Nature Trail in southwest La.(located between Houston & New Orleans) is more than 180-miles long and refered to as "Louisiana's Outback". It is the First National Scenic Byway in the Gulf South and recently only 1 of 20 to be designated an All-American Road by the Fed.Hwy.Administration.

http://www.creolenaturetrail.org/

Thanks Brian. I think we got the ball rollin' on this thread. This is a good idea for a topic. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bryde for posting. I am ashamed of myself for never going to Alligator Bayou tour. Beautiful area along with Spanish Lake and Bluff Swamp. They should make that area a nature preserve. It kind of already seems like it is.

I've never been to Aligator Bayou either, but when they highlighted them on The CBS Early show, I told my kids I take them one weekend.

• 1 month later...

LOUISIANA STATE MUSEUM

New Orleans most prominent heritage attraction is the Louisiana State Museum, a complex of national landmarks housing thousands of artifacts and works of art reflecting Louisiana's legacy of historic events and cultural diversity.

The Museum operates 5 properties in the French Quarter: the Cabildo, Presbytere, 1850 House, Old U.S. Mint, and Madame John's Legacy.

Also: the Louisiana State Museum- Patterson, Louisiana State Museum- Baton Rouge, the Old Courthouse in Natchitoches, and the E.D. White Historic Site- Thibodeaux

http://lsm.crt.state.la.us/

Thanks for posting this, Richy! I'd been meaning to get back over to this thread now that Gators & Friends is open, but they still don't have their website up and running so I can't link to them.

But I'll use this space to post on a similar subject... The Louisiaiana State Exhibit Museum in Shreveport.

http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/museums/shreve/shreve-index.htm

Archived