Louisiana attractions

dimebag1980

Hodges Gardens -- It's transitioning into a state park, but worth a visit if you're in the area.

Toledo Bend -- The largest man-made lake in the South. The southern end, next to the dam, is the prettiest area in Louisiana IMO with rolling hills, a western feel, and believe it or not, rapids on a couple of river segments.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never been to Hodges Gardens; but I have heard it was very nice. I'm impressed with the buffalo there; hard to believe Buffalo used to roam the prairies of western/south central La long-ago. I also hear the spotting of big cats like panthers/cougars? around Toledo Bend in Sabine Parish from time to time!

There is/was? a Zemurray Gardens near Folsom; near Nate's(10-15 miles?) neck of the woods in SE Louisiana.

Being from flat/muddy Baton Rouge I always enjoyed the drive to Dallas up I-49 a few miles NW of Alexandria to Shreveport. The hilly terrain is a nice change of scenery making Louisiana more diverse than one might think. People around the country tend to think of Louisiana as just swampy.

My mother used to tell me of a black panther that was spotted near her workplace back in the 80s. Coincidentally her workplace was a taxidermy business. They had numerous bobcats in that area but the black panther was obviously quite different. This always bothered me because I played in the bayous and wooded areas of my old neighborhood, which is where her old workplace was.

Here's some interesting info...

http://www.wtblock.com/wtblockjr/black.htm

Thanks for the link Brian. Wow very interesting stuff; I feel bad about some of the animals that are extinct. As a kid I stayed at a camp on the south-end of Toledo Bend on some long gravel road in Texas. I ran off one afternoon a few miles and my parents got highly upset. My Dad told me a bear could have got me.

Well, we were planning on getting up bright and early tomorrow morning to go down to Hodges Gardens for the day... but I just went to their website to check for their hours and they're closed! Their site was fine just a couple days ago, but now it's down... they're closed for the State Park transition. That stinks... oh well, I guess tomorrow it'll be the zoo instead.

Well, we were planning on getting up bright and early tomorrow morning to go down to Hodges Gardens for the day... but I just went to their website to check for their hours and they're closed! Their site was fine just a couple days ago, but now it's down... they're closed for the State Park transition. That stinks... oh well, I guess tomorrow it'll be the zoo instead.

Article in today's Alexandria Town Talk about the temporary closure of Hodges Gardens...

Louisiana Boardwalk has added a video commercial to their main page. In the background of the video they have the Boardwalk theme song (not what I'd have written for them, but whatever.) Anyway the commercial is very nicely done. It may ask you to install an Active X control on Internet Explorer, but don't worry, it's safe. Firefox users, it might ask you to download a control for QuickTime. Again, it's safe. Click and enjoy.

http://www.louisianaboardwalk.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for adding that, Richy!

One of the top aquariums in the country, one of the top zoos in the country, one of the top botanical gardens in the country, and a new insectarium currently under construction.

I'd say the Audubon Institute is doing pretty well for itself!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've been talking about the trace over in the Lagniappe forum; can't believe I forgot to post the website in this thread. Thanks, byrde!

Here are a few photos of and from a rail-to-trail bridge for the trace over the Bogue Falaya River in downtown Covington:

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived