Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flith

Powerline Right of Way

6 posts in this topic

I've got a question about power line right of ways in NC.

Can you just set up camp under a power line right of way in NC???

I used to live in Cumberland County between Fayetteville, and Hope Mills. I lived in a modest new relatively dense suburban neighborhood with a high tension power line cutting through part of it. After living there for a year I noticed what looked like a shack under it. Apparently someone lives in it, they eventually installed a carport. I guess the neighbors didn't mind. I've also noticed a few other places like this. I

I can tell you one thing: With the links powerlines have to cancer I wouldn't want to live under one.

Progress Energy (or whoever the utility is) definitely would have a problem with that. I'd call the power company.

I drove by it today and took photos. I'll post them tonight. The power lines and right of way are bigger than you would normally see in a residental area, but are not the "huge" tall metal tower high tension ones.

To build in a right-of-way that you do not own, you would need an easement, or you would need to purchase part of the right-of-way.

Front

Behind

ROW

I looked at Cumberland County's GIS information and from what I can tell the Lots meet under the power lines. So I figure he built that shack with his neighbors permission. Anyway, I don't live there anymore so it doesn't really matter to me. I still think that PWC would make them tear it down???