Crime in Little Rock

If this is going to be about 'Crime in Little Rock' then what about the underage drinking, abuse of prescription medication, illicit drug use in the white community. Rape is a violent crime. What about the use of the date-rape drugs in this community?

I have two daughters. I shutter when I think about what our family is going to have to go through when she hits her pre-teens through 25 or so. I have two good parents, upper middle-class and I made good grades. But, I went through a long period of time when I was invincible and didn't hear a thing they said. During this period in my life, I could have easily killed someone behind the wheel of a car. A white guy shot at me and three friends in WLR because we were throwing pebbles at a girls window to try to get her to sneak-out.

Son of LR city director charged after fatal accident in Oregon Is this a product of absentee parenting or poverty? http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story.aspx...851&rss=315

Architect, you got it right when you said, "Its a complete and utter breakdown of society." But , it is affecting families of all races in the U.S.

I am asking for some balance in this topic, Crime in Little Rock... If you are going to make a generalization about a group, then say so... If you going to post about "Crime in Little Rock," then it is your responsibility to make sure this doesn't become a place to kick minorities.

It shouldn't be about a group and as I said the vast majority of black residents in LR are hard-working, go to church, and are good parents. Plenty of white people don't do any of these things. What was brought up was the gang subculture that has led to LR having a high murder rate and this same subculture causes the same problem in most major and smaller cities with high crime.

Underage drinking, abuse of prescription medication, illicit drug use in the white community and rape are important crimes to note. However, MURDER of innocent bystanders is a different thing altogether. The other things happen in LR as they do everywhere else in America, I very much doubt LR is affected by these crimes more than similar cities. The murder rate, however, is much higher here than it should be.

Is it sadder that more people are worked up now because a couple of white people were killed rather than black ones? That's another issue that probably should be addressed. Almost all of LR's far too many murders are black-on-black. Don't we owe it to our minorities to try to a better job of protecting them from this subculture as well.

Murders like that of the bank teller, the Wal-Mart incident, and the Shannon Hills grocery scare the hell out of us because we realize it could happen to any of us or to the people we care about. That's what makes me shudder.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apork, what you seem to be saying is that you don't care if a black person murders a black person. You do care when a black person murders a white person.

It's one thing when we see gang-on-gang violence but it's completely another when we see innocents being killed.

Murders like that of the bank teller, the Wal-Mart incident, and the Shannon Hills grocery scare the hell out of us because we realize it could happen to any of us or to the people we care about.

That is the way your posts read to me. I am going to call it like I see it. To perpetuate the idea that the murder of a white person is somehow more violent than the murder of black person is wrong.

One theme that ran through today's posts is that the crime in the City of Little Rock is part of a national tragedy.

If this is going to be about 'Crime in Little Rock' then what about the underage drinking, abuse of prescription medication, illicit drug use in the white community. Rape is a violent crime. What about the use of the date-rape drugs in this community?

I have two daughters. I shutter when I think about what our family is going to have to go through when she hits her pre-teens through 25 or so. I have two good parents, upper middle-class and I made good grades. But, I went through a long period of time when I was invincible and didn't hear a thing they said. During this period in my life, I could have easily killed someone behind the wheel of a car. A white guy shot at me and three friends in WLR because we were throwing pebbles at a girls window to try to get her to sneak-out.

Son of LR city director charged after fatal accident in Oregon Is this a product of absentee parenting or poverty? http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story.aspx...851&rss=315

Architect, you got it right when you said, "Its a complete and utter breakdown of society." But , it is affecting families of all races in the U.S.

I am asking for some balance in this topic, Crime in Little Rock... If you are going to make a generalization about a group, then say so... If you're going to post about "Crime in Little Rock," then it is your responsibility to make sure this doesn't become a place to kick minorities.

Turboturtle - I don't understand why you are bending this discussion into a racial issue. I can't speak for other's comments, but I made no reference to race or minority, and that certainly was NOT at ALL the point of my initial post. I referenced two specific violent crime events involving minors, and pointed out the horror of "children" committing violent crimes...its incomprehensible both on the surface and at its core; the core being that while there certainly are exceptions (as you point out), far and away the root problem is the breakdown of the family, and hence a civil society. I see no need to wax poetic on every conceivable exception...that list is infinite. That was and is the extent of my post - no more, no less.

Apork, what you seem to be saying is that you don't care if a black person murders a black person. You do care when a black person murders a white person.

That is the way your posts read to me. I am going to call it like I see it. To perpetuate the idea that the murder of a white person is somehow more violent than the murder of black person is wrong.

One theme that ran through today's posts is that the crime in the City of Little Rock is part of a national tragedy.

"I am going to call it like I see it. To perpetuate the idea that the murder of a white person is somehow more violent than the murder of black person is wrong."

Obviously you don't see well enough. I guess you completely missed this paragraph in my post:

"Is it sadder that more people are worked up now because a couple of white people were killed rather than black ones? That's another issue that probably should be addressed. Almost all of LR's far too many murders are black-on-black. Don't we owe it to our minorities to try to a better job of protecting them from this subculture as well."

...and in another post this...

"The real generalization that needs to be avoided id the unfortunate thought process that black = crime. There are too many good people in LR who are subject to stereotypes because of some bad eggs like these."

I was trying to state why I think it's bad that public response to a white victim is greater and that I don't support these kinds of stereotypes. Before you accuse someone of being racist, actually bother reading the words I wrote before you "call it like you see it".

I made a mistake by posting in such a way that I gave Architect or anyone else the impression that my hostility was directed towards his post. Though I replied to his posts and quoted him, there wasn't anything in the post that I found objectionable. The post I found most objectionable was post #43. The problem with making generalizations is that they reflect bias and are often flawed.

Prejudice is a disease. It is transferred from our parents, our family, our friends, and often end up passing it on to our children. My activism is born out of my experience growing up in Little Rock. We know prejudice is alive here.

For example, when there are 4 white guys having a conversation and the topic shifts towards race, more than likely, one of those guys is going to make a statement the reflects his prejudice. When that prejudice gets called out, the hostility of the other three invariably gets directed towards the person who called it out. This social dynamic punishes the person who is fighting prejudice. The tragedy is that he'll eventually quit fighting it. Silence and passivity enable racial prejudice to persist.

I made a mistake by posting in such a way that I gave Architect or anyone else the impression that my hostility was directed towards his post. Though I replied to his posts and quoted him, there wasn't anything in the post that I found objectionable. The post I found most objectionable was post #43. The problem with making generalizations is that they reflect bias and are often flawed.

Prejudice is a disease. It is transferred from our parents, our family, our friends, and often end up passing it on to our children. My activism is born out of my experience growing up in Little Rock. We know prejudice is alive here.

For example, when there are 4 white guys having a conversation and the topic shifts towards race, more than likely, one of those guys is going to make a statement the reflects his prejudice. When that prejudice gets called out, the hostility of the other three invariably gets directed towards the person who called it out. This social dynamic punishes the person who is fighting prejudice. The tragedy is that he'll eventually quit fighting it. Silence and passivity enable racial prejudice to persist.

No, your mistake was calling anyone here racist by making ungrounded assumptions.

You still ignored my other posts that said exactly what you were trying to say before you made those comments.

The reason these murders are frightening isn't because they were "white". It's because of where they occurred and who was murdered. I rarely find myself in College Station or 12th street at 3 AM around people who deal, so it's hard to relate to those murders when they occur. Like many people in LR, black and white, I bank at a branch on Rodney Parham and I shop at a Wal-Mart in the middle of the afternoon once every week or two. That genuinely could've been me standing there, that's why I find myself afraid as do others. Were that man that was murdered at WM black or the bank teller a black college student would I feel any differently? Of course not. How obtuse you are to assume I would.

You're looking for prejudice in the wrong place and frankly I think you should apoligize. Using the word "racist" without any reason whatsoever to do so can be just as hurtful as any other prejudice.

No, your mistake was calling anyone here racist by making ungrounded assumptions.

You're looking for prejudice in the wrong place and frankly I think you should apoligize. Using the word "racist" without any reason whatsoever to do so can be just as hurtful as any other prejudice.

It's reverse racism, and it's as rampant as racism is today. Multiple races feeling resentment towards the others. The more things change...

• 10 months later...

Mayor Stodola and Chief Thomas attended a neighborhood meeting Monday night. The Chief said that the LRPD had an excellent record of clearing violent crimes. The biggest problem is a lack of jail space. I knew that some LR prisoners were housed in NLR but didn't realize that LR leases 30 spaces in the Faulkner County jail which means a number of officers are engaged in moving the prisoners back and forth. The petty crime, that has Hillcrest and the Heights up in arms, is in part the result of those charged with misdemeanors being turned loose due to lack of space in the county jail. This is not a new problem and one the city is powerless to solve.

Why would LR be powerless to solve this? Granted, the county runs the jail but I wouldn't hold the city unaccountable on that basis....

The Pulaski County Jail is a COUNTY facility. Taxes to support the county jail are a COUNTY tax. The county looks at the crime problem as Little Rock's problem and although there have been several attempts to pass additional taxes for the jail none have passed. Little Rock does not have majority representation on the quorum court. What do you think Little Rock could do to solve the problem?

The Pulaski County Jail is a COUNTY facility. Taxes to support the county jail are a COUNTY tax. The county looks at the crime problem as Little Rock's problem and although there have been several attempts to pass additional taxes for the jail none have passed. Little Rock does not have majority representation on the quorum court. What do you think Little Rock could do to solve the problem?

I understand. But since LR has a crime problem, it becomes their impetus to resolve the issue with the county.

I understand. But since LR has a crime problem, it becomes their impetus to resolve the issue with the county.

Just what "impetus" could the city use to resolve the issue. The city is at the county's mercy as for as the jail goes. Too bad you weren't at the HRA meeting Monday night, you could have expressed your opinion directly to the Mayor and Chief.

Just what "impetus" could the city use to resolve the issue. The city is at the county's mercy as for as the jail goes. Too bad you weren't at the HRA meeting Monday night, you could have expressed your opinion directly to the Mayor and Chief.

I understand the situation; the county holds most (if not all) the cards. I'm pointing out that the city has an interest in resolving it, or an "impetus" if you will....what are you arguing? You don't think the city should attempt to resolve this (not that they aren't)?

I understand the situation; the county holds most (if not all) the cards. I'm pointing out that the city has an interest in resolving it, or an "impetus" if you will....what are you arguing? You don't think the city should attempt to resolve this (not that they aren't)?

Excuse the ignorance here, but is it not possible for the city to build facilities or is this type of thing always a state/county operation? From the perspective of someone who doesn't know the answer, it seems like the city COULD build such a facility, but perhaps that's not how it works.

And yeah, I know that would cost money...just wondering if there could be more control...

Of course the city has an interest in the jail situation and of course I think the city should do what it can. So far the city has backed tax increases to enlarge the jail. These have been defeated in large measure by anti-tax voters in the county outside the LR city limits. They have also gone to the state in an effort to get state prisoners out of the county facility. My opinion is that the city has done about all it can do. You think that the city, because it has a crime problem, should give some impetus to resolve the jail situation. My question is what steps do you think the city should take?

Of course the city has an interest in the jail situation and of course I think the city should do what it can. So far the city has backed tax increases to enlarge the jail. These have been defeated in large measure by anti-tax voters in the county outside the LR city limits. They have also gone to the state in an effort to get state prisoners out of the county facility. My opinion is that the city has done about all it can do. You think that the city, because it has a crime problem, should give some impetus to resolve the jail situation. My question is what steps do you think the city should take?

Very true...they have been trying, and need to continue doing so.

Excuse the ignorance here, but is it not possible for the city to build facilities or is this type of thing always a state/county operation? From the perspective of someone who doesn't know the answer, it seems like the city COULD build such a facility, but perhaps that's not how it works.

And yeah, I know that would cost money...just wondering if there could be more control...

Years ago both LR and NLR had city jails. Little Rock's was the building behind city hall. When the police department was moved further west on Markham a jail was included. NLR had a jail, as well as the police department, in their city hall at Main & Broadway and like LR when a new police department was built a jail was included. The county jail was at the foot of Spring Street where LaHarpe Blvd. is today. It was about 6 or 7 stories tall, solid concrete and the ugliest building in town. When La Harpe was built the jail was actually jacked up and slowly moved south out of the way of the new road. It eventually was torn down.

In, I think, the 70s a new county complex for the sheriff and the county jail was built off Roosevelt Road west of the Livestock Show Grounds. The cities wanted out of the jail business so each contributed to the cost of the new facility. Over the years court mandates have limited the number of prisoners that can be housed. The jail has been expanded at least once but is now running at full capacity. Currently if a violent offender is booked into the jail a non-violent prisoner must be released so the jail can stay in compliance with the court orders. The city doesn't want to build a jail even if it had the money which it doesn't. So we have today's problem where petty criminals are released due to no space in the jail. County government is in control. The Quorum Court is the body that puts tax issues on the ballot and there is a strong anti-tax element in the Court. When tax measures are on the ballot they've been soundly defeated.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't know if you guys caught this but the murder rate in Little Rock is down 30% with 34 murders this year compared to 49 last year.

Total Pulaski County homicides were down 25% from 2007 to 2008 (83-62) - reflecting a national trend...which no one seems to be able to explain.

Total Pulaski County homicides were down 25% from 2007 to 2008 (83-62) - reflecting a national trend...which no one seems to be able to explain.

1) People are too depressed to get out of the house and do something that will make them feel worse.

2) Weapons now considered a luxury item, cannot afford such things in dismal economy.

3) Discovered that bilking people the Madoff Way more lucrative than old, violent avenues.

• 2 years later...

Source: finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/11...dangerous-cities-247

7. Little Rock, Ark.

Population: 192,922

Violent Crime Per 1,000: 15.2

2010 Murders: 25

Median Income: $38,992 (22.3% below national average)

Unemployment Rate: 6.8% (2.2% below national average)

Little Rock has one of the highest rates of aggravated assault and forcible rape in the country. Since 2009, reported assaults has increased while reported forcible rapes have decreased. According to Lt. Terry Hastings of the Little Rock Police Department, quoted by local station FOX16, Little Rock was "down almost 12 percent across the board on crime" in 2010. This may be accurate for many crimes, and especially nonviolent crimes, however, according to FBI data, violent crime increased from 2009 to 2010.

Another interesting stat.. of the top 10 cities on the list .. Little Rock has the highest median income (excl. the California cities) and the lowest unemployment rate.

Archived