Hypothetical Uptown 70 floor tower

We're all such urban dreamers here:) What if you could choose the location of a new hypothetical "tallest Uptown" 70 floor tower......

From land that is currently available to be built upon, where would you choose and why?

Also if you had your druthers as to the architectural style---what would you envision?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather see 2 -35 story towers rather than a 70 story tower. I would put one on North College street next to the library. (they can tear down that old church building). The other tower should go onto W. Trade near Graham. I would prefer either 30's art deco or an asian style.

I would like to see a 70 story tower in an area that is open and not congested with buildings. My main preference would be in the area of College & 8th St. I like seeing towers more spread out than jumbled together and this location would definately set it in an open area.

I love the modern Asian style of architecture common in cities like Singapore and Shanghai.

The Torre Espacio in Madrid is quite stunning.

I also love the Q1 apartment building in Queensland, Australia.

This view showing a portion of the Shanghai skyline is unreal!

And another beauty in Shanghai here and here.

I can't even imagine such bold architecture in Charlotte though.

I also love the Q1 apartment building in Queensland, Australia.

This view showing a portion of the Shanghai skyline is unreal!

And another beauty in Shanghai here and here.

Holy Toledo! Shanghai in that first post looks fake. As in comic book fake.

Q1 in a picture is not even comparable to real life. You have to see it in person. I recommend taking a trip down under to see the sites. I can't imagine a tower so tall in Charlotte. Especially one specifically for residential and retail.

While I agree with College and 8th as you suggested, I believe anything along the light rail line or college between 5th and 8th would be ideal for helping to give the city a little more bulk. Aside from the NEC building, I'd love to see any of those buildings in Charlotte. Even the Oriental Pearl (the christmas ornament building) would at least give Charlotte a new icon.

That first pic of Shanghai is fake. That building with the square hole in the top is an early concept rendering. The real building has a round hole in it (I think it's called the Shanghai Financial Centre or something). As far as where to put a 70-story... let's see.. I think I'd put it on the parking lot of CityView Towers on Trade St. That'd center the tallest in the skyline when viewed from east/west as well as when viewed from north/south (once The Vue is completed).

I would love to see the block bounded by 4th, 3rd, Brevard and the light rail tracks be filled be such a tall tower. Not only would the ground level facilities of such a project help support the new Brevard vision, but it would also be close to the center of skyline, yet detached from the Tryon tower canyon enough to improve the skyline from other angles.

All in all, though, with Wachovia appearing to be stuck below 50, I don't think this will happen.

All in all, though, with Wachovia appearing to be stuck below 50, I don't think this will happen.

It will someday... maybe not this decade, but most likely the next. There's always BB&T and Duke Energy or some unnamed company yet to locate themselves in the Carolinas.

Archived