Norwood

grock

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there on business and what a great town center this is. Close to Boston, a beautiful town square with churches and town hall. Train service to downtown Boston in 25 minutes. Anybody know anything more about Norwood?

I was born and raised in Norwood. My parents still live there. Used to take the train in to Boston before I got married. It was an easy commute to South Station. Housing prices as everywhere up there have gone up considerably since I last lived there. The High School is quite old but I hear they are going to build (maybe are now building) a new one About time too <G>, must be over 100 years old. It was 3 floors but great exercise getting from class to class.

A lot of the towns in Massachusetts that are sprawling actuall have some nice intact town centers. Mansfield (which is seeing a lot of development in its center near the train station), North Attleborough, Attleboro (undergoing a massive downtown redevelopment) and Middleborough all have decent town centers despite the sprawl that encompasses them.

Most Boston area cities and towns seem to have a real downtown. The secret seems to be to have preserved the pre-automobile physical environment. This can be as simple as having added parking only behind buildings that line downtown streets. It makes all the difference.

Archived