Greenville Tourism

gs3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know where a hundred thousand visitors would stay, let alone hundreds of thousands. There are not enough hotels in the whole state!

ok, maybe Myrtle Beach has enough.

Right. From what I've heard, people will be booking rooms as far away as Atlanta and Charlotte. Obviously in Asheville too. Imagine what downtown will look like that weekend!! We all need to have our camera's out for sure. :thumbsup:

I have the opportunity to go to Katadin in Maine that weekend, but I would like to be here for the Bike Race and because I am thinking of going to the Clemson v. BC game at BC the next weekend, I think I am going to pass on Maine, and that is a shame.

• 4 weeks later...

I know what you mean Trey. In the ten years I have been here, the tourist draw of Greenville has changed dramatically. I think the city and to some degree, even the county, are starting to understand the money that tourism can bring to the community.

It really wasn't that long ago that Falls Park was a concrete bridge, Riverplace was a barren vacant lot with condemned buildings, and the Westin was an unrenovated eyesore. Wachovia Place was an attractive 'garden' but was completely unused and had no interaction with it's surroundings.

The first time I visited the Reedy river was when I was a boy scout (30 years ago) to clean trash out of the river. The river was a totally trashed and many homeless people camped out along the river and fished in the river. I don't remember the river even being considered as part of Greenville. So when I see people standing on the Liberty bridge taking photos (as I see every time I cross the bridge) I am amazed.

Still not sure I would call Greenville "a tourist destination." We have more visitors than we used to for sure, but I do not think we are a destination yet. Not even in the same universe as MB or Charleston in that regard, or even places like Hilton Head, Charlotte, or Asheville. Falls park is wonderful (as I have said in other threads) but it is not something that many people across the country would hear about, or that they would travel here to visit. Not like they travel to MB or Charleston, or Orlando. I think Gville will need to continue to Market itself as a region, so as to include historical suburbs, mountains, watefalls, etc. if it wants to become a true tourist destination. It will also need to invest in some more "tourist attratctions." Not cheesy Ripley Museums or some of the stuff you see at MB, but something like a larger and more unique zoo, another top notch park somewhere near town, expansion of assests it already has.

Still not sure I would call Greenville "a tourist destination." We have more visitors than we used to for sure, but I do not think we are a destination yet. Not even in the same universe as MB or Charleston in that regard, or even places like Hilton Head, Charlotte, or Asheville. Falls park is wonderful (as I have said in other threads) but it is not something that many people across the country would hear about, or that they would travel here to visit. Not like they travel to MB or Charleston, or Orlando. I think Gville will need to continue to Market itself as a region, so as to include historical suburbs, mountains, watefalls, etc. if it wants to become a true tourist destination. It will also need to invest in some more "tourist attratctions." Not cheesy Ripley Museums or some of the stuff you see at MB, but something like a larger and more unique zoo, another top notch park somewhere near town, expansion of assests it already has.

Greenville is a tourist destination, as I am reminded of everyday I meet new people visiting from other places. One thing we do differently here is instead of trapping them for their money, we're actually trapping their hearts so they'll stay for a long time. Our attractions are in the people, in the beauty of the parks, the shops, and surrounding scenery. The elements that have brought people to Greenville are rarely found in major tourist destinations. I seriously hope and pray our leaders continue to guide every new phase of attractive development in that same direction. May Greenville live long and prosper by its infectious and endearing charm. :)

I agree with everything you said except that it is a tourist destination. I just don't see people across the country saying "Hey, let's go on vacation to Greenville, SC, I hear htey have a lot of neat things there." When I lived in colorado, that is what people said about MB, or even Hilton Head and Charleston. But it was never said of Gville. I am not saying that noone visits Gville as a tourist, just that it is not really a tourist destination in general. We just don't have the national recognition, nor enough "attractions" in place; YET.

I agree with everything you said except that it is a tourist destination. I just don't see people across the country saying "Hey, let's go on vacation to Greenville, SC, I hear htey have a lot of neat things there." When I lived in colorado, that is what people said about MB, or even Hilton Head and Charleston. But it was never said of Gville. I am not saying that noone visits Gville as a tourist, just that it is not really a tourist destination in general. We just don't have the national recognition, nor enough "attractions" in place; YET.

I have to agree with you. Does Greenville have an IMAX, aquarium, large zoo, amusement park, large waterpark, Hard Rock Cafe, Bass Pro Shops, Planet Hollywood, etc.? No. Should we? Yes, seeing how Chattanooga has an aquarium, Greensboro has a huge waterpark, and Myrtle Beach has them all expect for the large zoo.

I would consider us a "weekend getaway" with more class and culture than say MB. I would hope for more parks, museums, theaters, unique shopping and great restaurants as opposed to your typical tourist trap stuff.

I'm with TREY on this one.

I would NOT put the moniker tourist destination to Greenville at all. But the city has gone from basically ignoring tourism as a industry, to promoting and growing it. I think Chattanooga is an appropriate model to follow, and the city seems to be doing just that.

There have been rumors of an IMAX, and eventually, we will probably see one.

I also agree that the REGIONAL aspect should continue. With the correct marketing and development, the Upstate region could develop into a true tourist destination, although still not on the level of Charleston or MB. That is a desireable and attainable goal IMO.

i don't think MAST GENERAL STORE would have opened here if they had not considered us somewhat of a tourist destination. also there have been several occasions when driving near the falls park and a tour bus was stopped.

I don't know specifics, but I believe Mast got a sweet deal to locate here.

I guess we have gotten off topic again, perhaps a moderator could set up a thread for these tourist posts. I have heard a bigger or better zoo mentined a number of times for Gville. I think th only way it would work is if it did not try to compete with Rivrbanks directly. I don't think we can outsize them, certainly not at it's current location. It would need to be much larger certainly, but something unique. You can see elephants, giraffes, alligators at any zoo in the country. It would need to have animals that you can't find in other zoos in the SE US. It would also need to be very interactive. Have rides that take people through parts of it and give history and info on exhibits. Have displays that allow kids to open up drawers and shelves, take pictures with animals, build their own animal, etc. Have section on extinct animals and why they are extinct. Have affordable vendors and resturants, free parking, a lazy river surrounding the exhibits, small theaters showing ten minute films of interest, a section on animals and plants unique to SC and the upstate. It would need to be an interactive and unique destination that people could come to for a day or weekend. Think of the possibilities. Maybe it could be moved just outside of town, near Paris Mtn or something since more room would be needed.

I guess we have gotten off topic again, perhaps a moderator could set up a thread for these tourist posts. I have heard a bigger or better zoo mentined a number of times for Gville. I think th only way it would work is if it did not try to compete with Rivrbanks directly. I don't think we can outsize them, certainly not at it's current location. It would need to be much larger certainly, but something unique. You can see elephants, giraffes, alligators at any zoo in the country. It would need to have animals that you can't find in other zoos in the SE US. It would also need to be very interactive. Have rides that take people through parts of it and give history and info on exhibits. Have displays that allow kids to open up drawers and shelves, take pictures with animals, build their own animal, etc. Have section on extinct animals and why they are extinct. Have affordable vendors and resturants, free parking, a lazy river surrounding the exhibits, small theaters showing ten minute films of interest, a section on animals and plants unique to SC and the upstate. It would need to be an interactive and unique destination that people could come to for a day or weekend. Think of the possibilities. Maybe it could be moved just outside of town, near Paris Mtn or something since more room would be needed.

Hmm.... think about the possibilities for the Zoo land... hahaha -- the UP effect could strike again.

Actually, that sounds somewhat like Hollywild Animal Park, in Inman. I think the talk of a new zoo has dwindled considerably since it was defeated along with the former Reedy River Corridor masterplan. The only location I can think of for such a zoo is where the new westside park is planned to go, along the Reedy River, just passed the future Kroc Community Center. I would almost rather see the park, but I know the zoo would be a major attraction as well.

Archived