Greenville Tourism

gs3

Actually, that sounds somewhat like Hollywild Animal Park, in Inman. I think the talk of a new zoo has dwindled considerably since it was defeated along with the former Reedy River Corridor masterplan. The only location I can think of for such a zoo is where the new westside park is planned to go, along the Reedy River, just passed the future Kroc Community Center. I would almost rather see the park, but I know the zoo would be a major attraction as well.

I am not familiar with the Reedy River Corridor master plan that was rejected. Was it a great plan, or is what we're currently working toward going to be better?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually like the zoo the way it is. It currently offers a unique experience unlike any other zoo that I've ever been to.

The Greenville zoo allows a more intimate experience with the animals. How many times have you been to a zoo where you can only see an animal off in the distance... sleeping? At the Greenville zoo, the pens are smaller, so the animals are closer. And I think the fact that it is on a hill, hidden under tree coverage, the zoo stays cooler than most zoos, which allows the animals to be more active.

I wouldn't make huge changes to the zoo.

Those really are great shots, as always, RT! :D I agree with you about the Greenville Zoo looking to other prosperous zoos to find new ideas. One thing I find disappointing is how they don't fill up every sot with an exhibit. The exhibits could be improved as well by adding new animals with drawing power. :shades:

Those really are great shots, as always, RT! :D I agree with you about the Greenville Zoo looking to other prosperous zoos to find new ideas.

The Caldwell Zoo is definitely a Tourist draw for Tyler and all of East Texas (and even Western Louisiana and other parts of the region).

One cool thing they have at the Caldwell Zoo is this "Wild Bird Walkabout." There isn't much too it, really. It's one large aviary that's full of parakeets and cockatiels of various colors....hundreds of them. However, there is an attendant there selling these little seed sticks for $1.00 each. Children and adults alike can hold the seed sticks out to a branch to feed the parakeets and cockatiels and the birds climb onto your fingers to continue eating (with some coaxing, of course). It was pretty cool and I'm sure they make some operating income off of those little seed sticks.

The Chakula Caf

I'm here to tell you, I love the Greenville Zoo, but I think I've found one over here in Tyler, Texas that ours should strive to emulate. The Caldwell Zoo is awesome. Have a look at my photos under the Texas Forum. You should see this place. My photos don't really do it justice.

Wow RT! Those are some great photos. :thumbsup: Crisp & Colorful. Which lens did you take those with?

Wow RT! Those are some great photos. :thumbsup: Crisp & Colorful. Which lens did you take those with?

Thanks, NYT! :D Those Caldwell Zoo photos as well as the ones from the Tyler Municipal Rose Garden were taken with the Canon EF75-300mm III USM lens. The sunrise photo and the photos of the UT-Tyler were taken with the Sigma 18-50mm DC lens.

I am not familiar with the Reedy River Corridor master plan that was rejected. Was it a great plan, or is what we're currently working toward going to be better?

You can find out a little more information from this publication by Upstate Forever, from 2000. Keep in mind that the zoo discussion was not ever made official, but was a serious consideration by the now-disbanded Development Association of Greater Greenville (DAGG). I find it interesting how most of these pieces of the original plan have actually become a reality. The official master-plan can be read by clicking HERE. (WARNING: Very LARGE file!)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived