Little annoyances

SOCOM

How about long response times from HPD and their treatment of citizens. I had some friends down on Saturday night. They parked outside my building on Trumbull Street, under a street light. My buddy's car was broken into along with another one 2 cars down - these sort of things happen, unfortunatley all to often in Hartford. He called the police, and after being transferred 3-4 times and waiting for 15 minnutes he finally got to someone who would put out a call. We sat there for 2 hours, saw 5 cruisers drive right by us as we tried to flag them down. It wasn't until I stood infront of a cruiser stopped at a traffic light we were able to get an officer to take the report. On the ride home it was discovered a cell phone was stolen from the car, so my friend called back to amend that into the report. After an hour and half of arguing with the dispatcher that they could take it over the phone they finally did. HPD was unresponsive and especially rude on the phone. The kick here is after the initial report was filed, we went out to grab some drinks and there were 5 cops standing around talking to some drunk club rats. Why go and actually do your job when you can chat up some drunk chicks on the city's dime.

This isn't the first time I have seen a car broken into on Trumbull St by the SNET building. The officer taking our report said they know this is a problem. Bums quickly break into cars there and run across into the park to hide. They live over in the pavilion in front of the capital. Question is, why not put a cop on horseback or on bicyle to patrol this area? I imagine its not as easy a shift as hanging out in front of agave, but it would be much more beneficial. Also, why was it impossible for 5 white guys to flag down a cop in Hartford for 2 hours?

This sounds all to familiar. In the mid 1990's I remember my mother having her car broken into while we were at Saint Patrick Saint Anthony's for one of my cousins baptisms. My whole family (mom, aunt, uncle, grandparents) had all grown up in the city. This was not unexpected and we called the police and someone was there within minutes, they filed a report and were very helpful.

Now a few weeks ago my aunt got her car broken into while at work. She had worked at Yale in New Haven for 20 + years and never had any problems. She started a new job at the CCMC Foundation on Charter Oak Place. A few months after starting her new job her new car got broken into. Ok yes this is expected in the city although this shook her up a bit and is not helping to turn her onto Hartford. I went down there to help her pick up and when we tryed to contact the police we were transfered to numerous people. An officer finally came who was very rude and treated us like we were not from the city and should know better. This did not go over very well with my mother who is a Hartford girl. Anyway this is not the treatment employees and residents in the city should be receiving from the local police department.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all these horror stories are just astounding. i cannot believe the PD would treat residents, visitors, and workers this way! this behavior by any police department disgusts me. they are supposed to "serve and protect", what ever happened to that?

Well, here in the North End we've been saying the cops were pretty useless all along. Now everyone gets to see the fine service the HPD provides. They need someone to change everything, a whole new culture over there.

I've seen the light. You're right, there needs to be a shakeup at HPD. If the cops are this bad downtown, I can only imagine how bad they must be responding to the situations in the North End.

all these horror stories are just astounding. i cannot believe the PD would treat residents, visitors, and workers this way! this behavior by any police department disgusts me. they are supposed to "serve and protect", what ever happened to that?

Some police departments can be very rude and distasteful, towards their residents and visitors.

Archived