Pittsburgh film office head moving post to Los Angeles

Evergrey

I think this is a very strange article... I question Keezer's move. The cynic in me thinks that she just wanted to move to Los ANgeles and this was a good way to enable her relocation. I think she'll end up leaving this post soon and moving on to some other organization. This arrangement is folly and embarrassing for the Pittsburgh Film Office.

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...tml?t=printable

"He expressed concern that Keezer's relocation could harm Pittsburgh's image among filmmakers.

"It would be unprecedented," said Eckert. "There is no other film office for a metropolitan area that is based (that way). It would make Pittsburgh look really stupid."

Streiner said Keezer's assistant, Jessica Conner, who will continue to be based in Pittsburgh, can ably help with important in-town and on-the-ground tasks.

He also noted that the film office board sought the opinions of its various funders, all of whom approved. At the same time, he said he is also wary of Keezer being hired away by some of the same studios she is selling on Pittsburgh."

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see some outrage over this bizarre course of action. The PFO has been woeful in attracting film projects in recent years. I'd be interested in knowing just what Keezer did to try to talk producers out of filming "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh" in Pittsburgh.

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...tml?t=printable

"(City Councilman Doug Shields) cited Keezer's weak performance in bringing new film production to the region as well as what he said was her poor reputation in Hollywood. Shields also accused Keezer of talking movie producers not to pursue their projects in Pittsburgh on two recent projects expected for the region, including a film adaptation of the Michael Chabon novel, "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh."

Shields saw it as an abdication of the PFO board's responsibility over state taxpayer dollars to allow her to maintain her position representing the city while being based in Los Angeles."

I would like to more about the claim of talking producers out of Pittsburgh. I'm not sure that I follow the logic (how would that how her keep her cushy job? Let alone take it to Cali?)

I do realize that most places are in a slump as Canada has taken so much share of production, but I am stil would like to understand - established industry aside - how does NYC still maintain so many productions with there inherent costs?

Pittsburgh must be more aggressive (as with attracting any business) as well as the State in getting film production - I know that they have improved, but they need somebody to work it for the region.

Part of me feel after all of the crap that has happend, that it's time for a new person to take over.

I just don't feel comfortable with this.

So it turns out Doug Shields isn't just some rogue. Now a community of Pittsburgh film industry give the Pittsburgh Film Office and Dawn Keezer a vote of "no confidence"... urging the creation of a new organization.

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsbur.../24/daily7.html

The letter states: "...as we propose a fresh and effective direction for this economic development program, we simultaneously state our complete and total lack of confidence in the Pittsburgh Film Office to fulfill its mission and its purpose. It lacks any ability whatsoever to represent the best interests of the citizens in this region."

I just about to comment on today's article - yeah it's good that this is happening, but the fashion that it is happening and the timing isn't good. We need solid represenation now with filming slated to begin soon for Mysteries and with the expected inquiries related to the new state finanical packages.

In a sense, even though it is a task to 'start over" Something must be done and the film office is very small - Keezer and a couple people - that's all.

More news....

Roughly 70 people, including elected officials, union leaders, producers and behind-the-scenes players in the movie business, met yesterday to talk about a newly configured film office. City Councilmen Bill Peduto and Doug Shields were there, along with a representative from state Sen. Jim Ferlo's office.
That could mean an office with a slighter bigger staff and budget, which means working for financial support from the state, Allegheny County and, once it can afford it, the city.

The main priority should be to lure film productions here, followed by making their stay as welcoming and helpful as possible; the second objective should be (to me) supporting/encouraging post-production work here and then support for local productions etc.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06213/710048-85.stm

Archived