Another reason to vote against republicans

Snowguy716

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the House rules that Pelosi is proposing:

No House member may accept any gift of any value from lobbyists, or any firm or association that hires lobbyists.

No free travel, which means an end to the corporate jet line every Friday at Reagan National Airport.

No free tickets to Redskins games; or no meals of any value, even at a McDonalds; no front-row seats at entertainment venues. No, no and no.

To reduce temptations to cheat, Pelosi's bill attacks the usefulness of members to richly endowed lobbyists.

House members will no longer be able to slip in special-interest projects on unrelated legislation. Such measures will no longer be allowed on a bill once negotiations between the Senate and House are complete.

Further, all bills will be made available to the public a full 24 hours before a final vote; presumably this gives watchdog groups a chance to flag any skullduggery.

Under the Pelosi rules, lobbyists will no longer be able to use the House gym (you'd be surprised how much gets negotiated in a sauna). Lobbyists will no longer be allowed onto the House floor or to use the cloakrooms just off the floor, preventing last-minute arm-twisting.

What's more, no member or staffer will be able to negotiate for employment in the public sector without disclosing such contacts to the House Ethics Committee, and within three days of such contact being made.

Finally, all of this will be audited and investigated by a new Office of Public Integrity, and that office reports, directly and only, to the U.S. Attorneys Office.

That sounds good to me Leonard: another Republican scandal. :)

You know, I guess with people, you just expect them to vote for the candidate and not as much for the color of the skin. In Tennessee I knew Ford had some baggage (went to school out of state and was part of a political dynasty in Memphis that had some corruption problems, et cetera) and even in GA, Majette was and is popular but she just lacked any type of experience to mount an effective campaign--even the left-leaning AJC endorsed her opponent in that one. So those two did not upset me that much............

But I can't get over what's happening in Virginia. Here is a guy who is being called a racist by all of these different people, who isn't even a native Virginian (an outsider), and yet he's mounted an effective campaign? What's wrong with people.

It's like you say: race still matters more than we'd like to believe......

Now you should have known we still have some racially bias Republicans (and even some Democrats) in the South. <_< The South isn't ready for a black US Senator, i.e. Harold Ford, Jr. (also go back to '04 with Majette in Georgia), and it won't be until all this oldheads kill over.

The election scene in Minnesota:

Republicans: It was a devastating night for Minnesota Republicans, but there were two big presents under the tree for them: Michele Bachmann from the 6th district defeated Patty Wetterling for Mark Kennedy's open seat. Also another victory was Tim Pawlenty, the incumbent Republican governor, defeating DFLer Mike Hatch. I was sad about this, but Tim Pawlenty made an excellent victory speech that was funny, very humble, and has basically said that he will be working closely with the democrats to get things done.

Independence Party: While they didn't win any seats, they made some good ground here and there. IP 5th district Tammy Lee (5th district is pretty much just Minneapolis city) came out with 21% of the vote. Also, in the 6th district, John Binkowski got 8% of the vote. The gubernatorial candidate, Peter Hutchinson, got 6% of the vote, ensuring that the IP Party will have major party status going into the 2008 elections.

Democrat-Farmer-Labor Party: While there were disappoints with Patty Wetterling not winning and Mike Hatch losing his bid to unseat Tim Pawlenty, the rest was good news. Amazing news. We unseated Rep. Gil Gutknecht of the 1st district. Tim Walz is a school teacher and veteran of the war in Iraq who fought hard on changing the course in Iraq, funding our schools, and keeping the DM&E Railroad out of downtown Rochester. This is an amazing upset considering that Gil had over 60% of the vote last time. He lost 53-47%.

All three constitutional statewide office was won by the DFL, and by good sized margins. The Attorney General office, vacated by MIke Hatch, was handily won by the DFL, while the Auditor and Secretary of State flipped to the Democrats.

The biggest story for us was the "massacre" that took place for the Republicans in the state legislature. In the State Senate, Democrats have strengthened their majority by 6 to 44-23 over the Republicans. Perhaps even more significant were the huge house losses for the Republicans. They swept in with a sizeable majority in 1998 and it has been wittled down since. IN 2004, they lost 16 seats narrowing their majority to 68-66 over the Democrats. This year, they lost 19 seats to the Democrats giving the DFL of 85-49. This is nearly a veto-proof legislature.

This is why I'm not as disappointed about Pawlenty's victory. He won't be able to just simply veto everything he wishes. He will have to work with Democrats to get things done, and I'm actually confident that our state will be on the right track.

Archived