Downtown Clubs

bsutton1

I don't clubbing much but it would be nice to have a couple more clubs down glenwood south or somewhere else around downtown. Even a strip club would be nice :). The biggest club I know of is The Office. I know there is Aura also. That's only 2 I can think of..

It would be nice to have more fun places to go at night besides a bar.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't clubbing much but it would be nice to have a couple more clubs down glenwood south or somewhere else around downtown. Even a strip club would be nice :). The biggest club I know of is The Office. I know there is Aura also. That's only 2 I can think of..

It would be nice to have more fun places to go at night besides a bar.

Don't forget about Club Oxygen, Five Star, Legends, CC, and Flex, all in the warehouse district.

^Legends will also be expanding again in the near future making a new dancefloor area out of the old garage that is attached to the back side of the building. Speaking in terms of the warehouse district you guys also fogot a few more. There is also White Collar Crime, Ess Lounge, and The Borrough. I also noticed that Humble Pie has a new sign when I was looking around Thursday night.

^Legends will also be expanding again in the near future making a new dancefloor area out of the old garage that is attached to the back side of the building. Speaking in terms of the warehouse district you guys also fogot a few more. There is also White Collar Crime, Ess Lounge, and The Borrough. I also noticed that Humble Pie has a new sign when I was looking around Thursday night.

I was wondering when they (Legends/View) would gobble up the rest of the structure there. Will the View remain?

You're right - I totally forgot the other clubs. I've been to White Collar Crime, but to to Ess or the Borrough (where is the Borrough?).

The Borough is not a club, its a restaurant/bar in the Dawson. Also, the three Rockytop 5 places all have some serious dancing on the weekends even if its not my scene. I got caught up in 42nd street dancing one night too a few years ago. I know these are not clubs per se but they work for a lot of people.

There is a new club called "The Big Apple" west and south streets I believe. And Hi-5 is Clubbish on certain nights.

That intersection is too scary for a club...there has been a murder, another shooting and many instances of people trying to sell me drugs as I ride my bike through quickly......perhaps its in another place?

I think the Big Apple *is* there, across from the Heritage Park housing project. I go by here sometimes as I take lake wheeler to saunders to south street.

There is a laundrymat on the ground floor and a club above it. It looks like it may attempt to attract the crowd that used to go to the various nightclubs that opened in the space on Hargett a few doors west of Roly Poly that Empire now owns.

I haven't been to Aries in a while, but they have dancing on most nights.

Ess was the last big "pure" club to open (as opposed to club/bar/restaurant). Reds Beach club is "opening soon" in Seaboard station, and there is a club/lounge in the works for the space above Riveria this fall/winter. The Martin Street Music hall/Alibi bar area has been quiet, but may pick up when Fayetville Street opens. Slim's doesn't have dancing, but is kind of laid back and books bands a couple of nights a week.

The Jillians space will probably get something eventually... it is just a matter of what and when.

I drove by here last night, and the Big Apple *is* on South Street, above a laundrymat, across from the Heritage Park housing project and half way between Dawson and South Saunders.

Is there some reason why Kings, Lincoln Theater, Martin Street, Berkley Cafe, etc. can't have dance nights once in a while? Even the Cat's Cradle hosts WXYC's 80s night once in a while. Is there dancing at White Collar Crime? I've been by a few times at night, but on my bike in rags, so I've never actually gone inside yet.

Is there some reason why Kings, Lincoln Theater, Martin Street, Berkley Cafe, etc. can't have dance nights once in a while? Even the Cat's Cradle hosts WXYC's 80s night once in a while. Is there dancing at White Collar Crime? I've been by a few times at night, but on my bike in rags, so I've never actually gone inside yet.

Kings used to host parties for the underground dance music scene quite often. I dont know if they do that much now or not. Martin St./Raleigh Music Hall still has those kinds of events. That place has drawn in some big name djs. Berkely still does dance nights like that as well. I know of a weekly there called Easy DnB, which also draws in some really big name djs. They advertise for them on afterhours on 88.1. Other than that you can find the dates and info on spins.us, or ncdnb.com. That last one is focused on drum and bass, but showcases the great talent we have in the dance music scene in NC.

And of course we have got what is arguably one of THE best dance clubs in the Southeast, a place that has survived 15 years when other clubs like Studio 54, Twilo, Nation, Backstreet have struggled to survive half that time ... LEGENDS.

True...not to mention CC across the street being around even longer than that! :)

I think it kinda reflects interestingly on downtown Raleigh that two of the nightspots that have stood the test of time the best are the gay ones. Granted, they took a chance on the warehouse district when no one else wanted anything to do with it. I just hope there's never a time when they feel squeezed out of the neighborhood by all the non-gay bars (and luxury condos) wanting a piece of the pie.

I think it kinda reflects interestingly on downtown Raleigh that two of the nightspots that have stood the test of time the best are the gay ones. Granted, they took a chance on the warehouse district when no one else wanted anything to do with it. I just hope there's never a time when they feel squeezed out of the neighborhood by all the non-gay bars (and luxury condos) wanting a piece of the pie.

That's a good point. I'm not gay, but really like the fact that those bars are there. They add a lot of character to the neighborhood. I think their survival kind of speaks to the zeal for downtown that gay people in Raleigh have had for decades. There are a lot of people like me who are kind of Johnnycomelatelies about DT.

I remember Hair By Natures Way being on Glenwood when nobody wanted to be. Est Est Est was a very popular place with a lot of gay employees and patrons back in the late 70's but no other cool restaurants were downtown. Then my high school friend, Paul Womble, (at least as far as I know -correct me if I'm wrong) is credited for starting Legends (correct me if I'm wrong.) So, dammit, I'm for Legends adding a 50 story mirrorball tower above the dance floor. :silly:

At least from the outside, the Capital Club, Legends, and Flex have not had to do anything to remain relevant/trendy. Where Hillsborough Street clubs (including the flavor of the month in the Goodnights complex) cannibalized each other, these clubs understood the market (gay and straight) and gave them what they wanted -- a place to hang out, drink, and/or dance without worrying about anything. They (with Our Place and White Rabbit on Martin) dared go where no one else would.

It is ironic that this "decay" was prevalent so close to city hall. If/when the TTA station opens, it will have an effect on the whole warehouse district. There are plenty of parking lots to devlop first, but all low rise buildings between downtown and the train stop will be under development pressure.

At least from the outside, the Capital Club, Legends, and Flex have not had to do anything to remain relevant/trendy. Where Hillsborough Street clubs (including the flavor of the month in the Goodnights complex) cannibalized each other, these clubs understood the market (gay and straight) and gave them what they wanted -- a place to hang out, drink, and/or dance without worrying about anything. They (with Our Place and White Rabbit on Martin) dared go where no one else would.

It is ironic that this "decay" was prevalent so close to city hall. If/when the TTA station opens, it will have an effect on the whole warehouse district. There are plenty of parking lots to devlop first, but all low rise buildings between downtown and the train stop will be under development pressure.

Well said. I've always thought the social intersections with diversity (however it is defined - could be called inclusive, too) is where interesting things happen. There is more tolerance when that happens - not just for gays but to be open to new ideas and traditions and languages and restaurants. It's funny how much stays invisible unless you're in the right place. Like, I never knew that tons of asian students invaded King's once a month (or however often) for a techno music night!

I admit that when I used to park for work in the lot where Park Deveraux is now, and thought CC was a person's initials. I thought Capital Corral was wrong because there were no horses, cows, or buffets involved.

I know Raleigh is the state capitol, but there are a lot of capital names -- Capital Corral, Capital Room, Capital City Club (on top of PE I) and the Capitol City Club building (where the club used to be, at the corner of Martin and Salisbury). Not to mention the Cardinal Club on top of the Wachoiva building.

As far as the warehouse district, Humble Pie and Wicked Smile seemed to be more gay friendly than the "latecomers" to the party -- Jillians, Club Oxygen, the Office, and Flying Saucer. Though Aries, the Borough (sometimes) and View (duh) are more open.

I admit that when I used to park for work in the lot where Park Deveraux is now, and thought CC was a person's initials. I thought Capital Corral was wrong because there were no horses, cows, or buffets involved.

You think that's bad? I briefly thought it meant "Carbon Copy". :rofl:

Archived