Restaurants and Smoking coming to Downtown W-S

twincity

news on a few new establishments coimg to downtown. These are excerpts form journalnow.com

Skippy's

Downtown will get a new but familiar restaurant this fall, when Skippy's will move to 624 W. Fourth St. from the Pavilions Shopping Center on Hanes Mall Boulevard.Owner Michael Rothman said that July 28 will be the last day of business for Skippy's at Pavilions before he focuses on renovating his new space in the Bolich Building, a couple of doors away from Foothills Brewing. Rothman said he expects to open downtown in October. Rothman said he is moving Skippy's because of the high rent at Pavilions and because he's excited about the revitalization of downtown.The new space will have slightly fewer seats and a slimmed-down menu but will still include hot dogs on homemade pretzel buns, hand-cut fries and other items."Five or six years ago, I would not have considered it," Rothman said. "But the opportunities downtown now are great. Where we've been, it's just chains. Downtown is actually better for (independently owned) places like us."

article

Marshall McGearty Tobacco Lounge

R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. is bringing its "ridiculously plush" Marshall McGearty Tobacco Lounge concept to downtown Winston-Salem.The company opened its first lounge in Chicago in December to showcase a new "super-premium" cigarette brand called Marshall McGearty Tobacco Artisans. The company plans to open the Winston-Salem lounge in the second quarter of 2007 at the corner of Fourth and Marshall streets at the site of the former Kababs Indian Bar & Grill, which closed in August 2005.In addition to Marshall McGearty cigarettes, the lounge will also offer alcoholic and other beverages and light food. The lounge will be restricted to people 21 and older.

"What we want to do here in Winston, basically, is take the model that we've developed in Chicago and replicate that here," said Sharonda McMurray, a senior business-unit director at Reynolds. "There's a lot of positive things happening downtown, and we believe that this idea will fit naturally with that."

The lounges will be similar, offering lush sofas and leather club chairs in which to relax. There will also be a tobacconist so that consumers can have their cigarettes made on the spot. The lounge will also sell already-made packs of Marshall McGearty cigarettes."I think it's going to be fantastic," said Jason Thiel, the president of the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership. "We're quite pleased. We think it's going to be a wonderful addition to downtown and Fourth Street."

article

Sports on Burke

A new establishment is coming to the Burke Street district. It's called Sports on Burke - a restaurant, grill and sports bar rolled into one. The proprietor is leasing about 2,300 square feet of space in a building partially occupied by Morning Dew Coffee Roasters. The restaurant will have a 10-foot projection-screen TV and nine 42-inch plasma-screen TVs throughout, including the bathroom, so you won't have to miss a minute of your favorite sporting event. However, the emphasis will be on the food. The menu will feature a mix of breakfast items, burgers, wraps, salads, fish, chicken and beef entrees. Brunch is planned on Sunday. There will be seating for 100 patrons and there are plans for live music and stand-up comedy a couple of times a month. The owner said he hopes to open within the next few weeks, pending final inspections. Sports on Burke is at 1049 Burke St. The hours will be 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. seven days a week.

article

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its exciting to hear that RJR is opening up that cool Lounge. Sounds like Winston is slowly arriving, but they still need more clubs downtown. I live in downtown Greensboro and visited downtown Winston-Salem last night. I had dinner at Sixth and Vine. Although there were a few people downtown, it is still dead compared to Greensboro.

true. Greensboro has a healthier nightlife than winston. however, i do think that if the bulk of our establishments were concentrated in one area instead of 3, people might have a different opinion on downtown.

imagine 6th and vine, sweet potatoe's, chelsea's, elliot's review, burke street pizza and the twin city chophouse on 4th.

true. Greensboro has a healthier nightlife than winston. however, i do think that if the bulk of our establishments were concentrated in one area instead of 3, people might have a different opinion on downtown.

imagine 6th and vine, sweet potatoe's, chelsea's, elliot's review, burke street pizza and the twin city chophouse on 4th.

Winston has great potential. I drive through downtown every now and then on my way back to Greensboro from work. Im actually surprise we arent seeing more nightclubs in downtown Winston. The atmoshpere and vibe there is great. Maybe Joey Mediloni in Greensboro should open up a few clubs in downtown Winston. He single handidly transformed downtown Greensboro over night.

The one thing I like about the relocation of Skippy's restaurant is that it fills in some of the dead area between Spruce and Board on Fourth St. Some of it can never be filled because of the parking lots that line it but as long as there is something for people to go there, it will encourage them to go a little further and see what is available. When I walk Fourth St. I kind of stop at Spruce for there is not much else for me to see along the way. Fourth St has every potential of becoming a great pedistran walkway much in the way of Broadway.

Marshall McGearty will be a great addition to the downtown area. Perfect spot for it as it can take in the visitors at the hotel and convention center who would like a lounge and not a noisy bar. It also diversifies what downtown is offering and will not create additional competition for the downtown restaurants and that is good. Marshall and Fourth is going to be a hopping corner very soon.

news on a few new establishments coimg to downtown. These are excerpts form journalnow.com

Marshall McGearty Tobacco Lounge

R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. is bringing its "ridiculously plush" Marshall McGearty Tobacco Lounge concept to downtown Winston-Salem.The company opened its first lounge in Chicago in December to showcase a new "super-premium" cigarette brand called Marshall McGearty Tobacco Artisans. The company plans to open the Winston-Salem lounge in the second quarter of 2007 at the corner of Fourth and Marshall streets at the site of the former Kababs Indian Bar & Grill, which closed in August 2005.In addition to Marshall McGearty cigarettes, the lounge will also offer alcoholic and other beverages and light food. The lounge will be restricted to people 21 and older.

"What we want to do here in Winston, basically, is take the model that we've developed in Chicago and replicate that here," said Sharonda McMurray, a senior business-unit director at Reynolds. "There's a lot of positive things happening downtown, and we believe that this idea will fit naturally with that."

The lounges will be similar, offering lush sofas and leather club chairs in which to relax. There will also be a tobacconist so that consumers can have their cigarettes made on the spot. The lounge will also sell already-made packs of Marshall McGearty cigarettes."I think it's going to be fantastic," said Jason Thiel, the president of the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership. "We're quite pleased. We think it's going to be a wonderful addition to downtown and Fourth Street."

article

Here are some images of the Chicago location of the store:

rjr_mcgearty_storefront.JPG

rjr_mcgearty_lounge.JPG

This should be a fitting addition to downtown. It sort of reminds me of the smoking lounge in Thank You for Smoking.

Ah yes, the Winston-Salem gentlemen's club establishment. I gave a hoot when I hear Winston mentioned in the film and then they actually showed the club. It is a pity that Winston does not have something like that. Perhaps fifty-eighty years ago, such a place could have and might have existed considering the number of well do owners and managers who worked at RJR, Wachovia, Hanes, Nissen and other businesses. For a small city, the Winston of that time had more of its fair share of wealthy individuals.

This is good news and a complimentay fit into downtown. I just wish we could get some real hoppin' night clubs downtown. It seems all the "dance" clubs in Winston are relegated to old shopping centers. There's a few music venues to choose from however I'd like to boogie down after eating downtown! :shades:

Archived